Thread: DSG Leak

Users Country Flag

DSG Leak

So noticed a couple dropmarks on the garage floor the other night, thought to my self surely not the VW, only just done 60k

So chucked my head under and sure enough, there was evidence of an oil leak under the center (almost where the DSG mates to the engine) - so I assumed would be the rear main seal except the fresh oil droplet I could find was honey like and not black as I thought it would be if engine oil (so assuming DSG).

Had the 60K service today and they said that all the seals they could see were dry and they 'think' they traced it back to the DSG breather.

They said to watch it and ring back in a week to see what its doing.

I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with it leaking (at all) in my view it shouldn't and there should be no leak from time to time. Its still under warranty but id still like there not to be a problem potentially in the first place if it is one.

Is this common or can be common in the DQ500 boxes?

They said they would happily have the car for a day or 2 and drop the box to see what's going on if it continues so they aren't borking about having to look at it or anything

If it’s just gone 60k and just been serviced, at VW, that means the fluid has just been changed.

Maybe a slight overfill, or a bit of a mess during the drain/refill.

I’d be happy to drive for a few days (do a few short drives and a few long drives in this time) and park in slightly different spots each time- so you can get a feel of the dripping behaviour (getting better/worse)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonr23 View Post
    If it’s just gone 60k and just been serviced, at VW, that means the fluid has just been changed.

Maybe a slight overfill, or a bit of a mess during the drain/refill.

I’d be happy to drive for a few days (do a few short drives and a few long drives in this time) and park in slightly different spots each time- so you can get a feel of the dripping behaviour (getting better/worse)
    Thanks mate
    Sorry I should have made it clearer, the oil leak was there before the service and I got them to look at it as part of their service as I had only noticed the leak abo it a fortnight prior to yesterday

Users Country Flag
    Check Bevel box leak ,including all sides where Bevel box connected to Gear box , Rear propshaft and right Driveshaft( Blue PVC cap) this is common issue on this Dq500 on Tiguan, even on brand new car , can leak small droops down bevel box on bevel box cooling like fins
    Last edited by cameleon72; 15-10-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Users Country Flag

I just brought my car in for the 3 year, 45k service and they detected a minor bevel box leak. Thankfully it was detected under warranty as although the gasket is cheap (about $100) it requires approx 10 hours of labour to fix. That is approx $2k to fix given VW labour rates. Probably a little more considering oil and sundries.
    Last edited by fiendish; 29-10-2020 at 08:28 AM.
    MY10 Golf GTD, DSG, MDI, Carbon Grey Metallic Paint.
    MY18 Tiguan 162TSI RLine, DAP, Sunroof, Black Pearl Effect