Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DRL Engine running only.

Users Country Flag

DRL Engine running only.

Another question for the OBD Eleven Guru.
    Is it possible to code , with my OBD Eleven Pro, to have the DRL ( Tagfahrlicht ) activated only when the engine is running ?
    Currently they are on with Ignition ON. This is on my 2018 Tiguan.
    Thank you
    Manny
    Last edited by Tiguanfahrer; 07-11-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Technically probably Legally no because it is illegal to disable them as they are a safety feature on the vehicle.
    Led's dont consume hardly any power so what is the point of wanting to do it
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 07-11-2019 at 10:04 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hello Hillbilly,
    My point is, while I use my OBD Eleven, the Ignition is turned ON, and so are the DRL's. I just don't see the need for that.
    Btw. for what it's worth, I think DRL's are one of the greatest safety improvements ever in the automotive industry.

DRL Engine running only.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiguanfahrer View Post
    Is it possible to code , with my OBD Eleven Pro, to have the DRL ( Tagfahrlicht ) activated only when the engine is running ?
    This might be a solution - it will activate DRL’s only when the headlight switch is in the “Auto” position... So if headlights are set to off, all lights are off even when vehicle is running.

DRL Only in Auto Mode
    Select Control unit 09 (Central Electrics)
    Security Access Code 31347
    Adaptation
    (9) - Select daytime running lights only in switch position auto
    Value=Aktif
    Last edited by azza83; 08-11-2019 at 02:45 AM.
    MY18 Tiguan 162TSI R-Line, Black, DAP, Sunroof & Tow with APR Stage 2 Tune & DownPipe

Both replies here are correct/useful
    Legally speaking (insurance really) disabling a safety feature means you give the insurance company and/or other party in an accident, an avenue to decline cover AND go after you directly for any car crash/incident where ‘didn’t see them’ is a reason/excuse- so lots of scenarios.

I think we have a gross misunderstanding of what I am trying to achieve, so here is a recap.
    When I am parked in my garage, and using my OBD Eleven device to code different options, the ignition key is in the ON position.
    As a result, the DRL's are illuminated. I just don't see the need for this. Hence, I would like to have them OFF during this procedure, but definately want them on with the engine RUNNING ! I will try the method suggested by " azza 83 ", and turn the switch to the OFF position.
    P.S. I would not think of moving my vehicle out of the garage without DRL's.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by azza83 View Post
    This might be a solution - it will activate DRL’s only when the headlight switch is in the “Auto” position... So if headlights are set to off, all lights are off even when vehicle is running.

DRL Only in Auto Mode
    Security Access Code 31347
    Adaptation
    (9) - Select daytime running lights only in switch position auto
    Value=Aktif
    No that would mean if you are driving with headlights off or manually on the DRL's wouldnt work and would therefore be illegal

I understand what OP wants and turning lights to off makes no difference as I feel the same but have tried all positions for the lights as they are designed to come on with the Ign.
    I have spent several hours with an OBDII but have not managed to flatten the battery yet as the APP tells you the battery level and advises when its too low.
    Any way I have done all I want to with it and I found after the initial burst of enthusiasm there is only so much you can do and the novelty wears off after a while.

I would also like to do what OP wants but have decided not to worry about it.

For further advice I suggest he join the OBDII forum and maybe DV52 can have an idea of how to do it

Always remember that mods with this device are worldwide and may or may not be legal to do in certain countries.

Also in the same vein not all vehicles have the same hardware /software and may not be able to have certain things activated.

EG Battery level in dash. It seems our models do not have the module needed to show this

Users Country Flag
    DRL Control on Car Menu
    Enables a setting on your headunit which allows you to completely disable the Daytime Running Lights.

Security access
    Access Code 31347
    Adaptation
    (2) Daytime running light activation by BAP or Operating sequence possible
    Value = Aktif

MY09 MKV Golf R32 | Black Pearl | Recaros | Sunroof | RNS510 | Purchased Feb '10 | Sold Jul '17
    MY19 MKII Tiguan Highline 162TSI | Indium Grey | S&V | Pano Roof | R-Line | Purchased Nov '18

Thank you all for your constructive input. I have resolved this as per " azza 83 " suggestion.
    Now, when I place the switch in the OFF position ( while using OBD Eleven ), the DRL's are off.
    I must add, I always return the switch to " Auto ", when I am done playing with my device ( OBD Eleven that is ) !
    Thanks again
    Manny

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by daz32 View Post
    DRL Control on Car Menu
    Enables a setting on your headunit which allows you to completely disable the Daytime Running Lights.

Security access
    Access Code 31347
    Adaptation
    (2) Daytime running light activation by BAP or Operating sequence possible
    Value = Aktif

Which as has already been said is not the thing to do in AUS, maybe legal in other countries

Why anyone would turn off a safety feature that enables others to see you is beyond me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast