Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dashcam for Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Thanks for all the help
    Installed the Blackvue 750X yesterday and all went in pretty easy
    Hardest part was realising that I needed to run the cable from the fuse box to the dash cam
    The hardwire cable has two inline fuses on the two power cables (ACC and Battery) which made it hard (bulky) to fit through the gaps.
    The trims came off pretty easy including the housing behind the mirror

A couple of questions though for those that have Blackvue cams;
    1. Do they record all the time whilst driving or only save “events”. I was using an old GoPro which was good for holiday trips to capture some of the countryside while driving for family videos
    2. How long does it keep recording in “parking” mode - do you guys use “time lapse” or “motion & impact detection ” setting?
    3. Any point having the front LED on?
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by iDiesel View Post
    Thanks for all the help
    Installed the Blackvue 750X yesterday and all went in pretty easy
    Hardest part was realising that I needed to run the cable from the fuse box to the dash cam
    The hardwire cable has two inline fuses on the two power cables (ACC and Battery) which made it hard (bulky) to fit through the gaps.
    The trims came off pretty easy including the housing behind the mirror

A couple of questions though for those that have Blackvue cams;
    1. Do they record all the time whilst driving or only save “events”. I was using an old GoPro which was good for holiday trips to capture some of the countryside while driving for family videos
    2. How long does it keep recording in “parking” mode - do you guys use “time lapse” or “motion & impact detection ” setting?
    3. Any point having the front LED on?

1 Yes and depending on the way you set it up will do that

2 you should be able to set both time and battery cutoff voltage

3 No I have all leds turned off always. You want stealth not obvious

You should have been able to remove side trim beside glovebox and thread cables in through there I mounted camera on passenger side of windscreen as was too low in centre. You can just see it in picture as I painted the lettering out and also did my toll tag after that pic was taken.

Always pull cable through to camera and then work back so excess is behind the dash.

Make sure you threaded cable BEHIND the airbag in the A pillar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dashcam for Tiguan-tiguan-jpg  
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Hillbilly
    I went the centre position
    Thought the higher position you have it, it maybe obscured slightly by the windscreen sunshade tinting, but on checking there isn't any.
    I painted my toll tag black but the bracket has that white double sided tape, so haven't done that bit...yet.
    Need to get some clear tape - any ideas on where is best?

Yep, made sure I went behind the airbag.
    Did my wife's First also.
    The trim on that came off super easy and it has cabling running down the passenger A pillar so was an even easier job.
    Only issue was it used micro blade fuses, not the mini's I had bought so need to get a couple new fuse taps and fuses
    Last edited by iDiesel; 29-12-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Hillbilly
    I went the centre position
    Thought the higher position you have it, it maybe obscured slightly by the windscreen sunshade tinting, but on checking there isn't any.
    I painted my toll tag black but the bracket has that white double sided tape, so haven't done that bit...yet.
    Need to get some clear tape - any ideas on where is best?

Yep, made sure I went behind the airbag.
    Did my wife's First also.
    The trim on that came off super easy and it has cabling running down the passenger A pillar so was an even easier job.
    Only issue was it used micro blade fuses, not the mini's I had bought so need to get a couple new fuse taps and fuses
    Very good However Mini taps will fit in micro fuses as had to do that in my sons Fiesta as couldnt get my hand in to push the micros in properly so the minis have the same spacing, just a bit higher. Consequently I have 10 micros left over LOL

You can buy black tape at Bunnings like this is also good for sticking the cameras on with and other things so my roll has all gone

Scotch 2.5cm x 1.5m Extreme Double Sided Mounting Tape | Bunnings Warehouse

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    You can buy black tape at Bunnings like this is also good for sticking the cameras on with and other things so my roll has all gone

Scotch 2.5cm x 1.5m Extreme Double Sided Mounting Tape | Bunnings Warehouse
    Cheers, will try a roll of that tape.

Users Country Flag
    Cheers, will try a roll of that tape.
    Sticks like s*** to a blanket all my cameras are fixed with it and oldest one has been there for over 3 years in QLD

Just looking at putting a dashcam in my Tig - I'm reading about using the power to the auto dimming mirror to power it. Has anyone done this?

INSTALLING DASH CAM TO POWER FROM REAR VIEW MIRROR - YouTube

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by readyone View Post
    Just looking at putting a dashcam in my Tig - I'm reading about using the power to the auto dimming mirror to power it. Has anyone done this?

INSTALLING DASH CAM TO POWER FROM REAR VIEW MIRROR - YouTube
    Can only do it with a 5v camera The best camera is the Blackvue and they are tidy and reliable instructions that are applicable are here Dash Cam Install Tutorial – Volkswagen MK7 Golf | AutoInstruct Be careful wires are behind airbags

Thanks Hillbilly but those instructions are for wiring it to the fusebox. I want to plug a splitter adapter directly into the rear mirror power as per the link I attached in my post.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by enzso View Post
    Thanks Hillbilly but those instructions are for wiring it to the fusebox. I want to plug a splitter adapter directly into the rear mirror power as per the link I attached in my post.
    Why try to reinvent the wheel as that is the accepted way in VW cars Also I think that it is only 5 v at the mirrors and also doesnt allow you to power a rear camera. Also in that link the camera he is using is a Garmin which is absolute rubbish. A friend got me to install one and it ended up in the bin.
    Far better to do it properly and safely with a quality camera like the Blackvue or a Viofo for a quality cheaper one The Garmin and Mio and Navman are all to put it politely are cheap rubbish all mostly made by same outfit and rebadged. Have been installing them for over 13 years so have a good idea of whats what

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast