Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dash dead?

I mentioned the same thing in another thread a week ago. We disconnected the battery and when reconnected the dash came to life again and hasn't given further problems. If that works and fixes it you will get a heap of warning lights which will go away when the car is driven for a short distance and during the drive my son advised me to stop the car and cycle the ignition. I am unaware of any steering problems from the angle sensor so perhaps Kamold might expand on that, he has had a lot more experience with stuff like this. When my son first looked at it he said it was almost like the dash did not "load" and he might have been right. Son does electronic diagnosis and fault finding for a living on another brand for a day job.

In relation to the signature, for me I only see peoples car lists.

I’m on safari, on iOS.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    That's not really ideal when driving. I'm still happy to have old school dials for that reason.
    Agree the old school mechanical dials last 20+ years. Guess you can use this excuse if you get a speeding fine.

The risk with the new electronics in cars are the digital dash and new electronic fly-by-wire gear buttons (2021 Tuscon) failing

That's why new commercial airplanes have mechanical switch overrides when the electronics fail

Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    Agree the old school mechanical dials last 20+ years. Guess you can use this excuse if you get a speeding fine.

The risk with the new electronics in cars are the digital dash and new electronic fly-by-wire gear buttons (2021 Tuscon) failing

That's why new commercial airplanes have mechanical switch overrides when the electronics fail
    Although I've only heard of this happening a couple of times, the scary thing would be to have a digital dash go outside of warranty and then have a ~$2k bill to replace it.

Yes it would also be quite inconvenient not having a speedo or tacho and only going by traffic speed. I wonder if the odometer still works when the screen is out?? I guess it depends if it's the whole module or just the LCD that's out.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Disconnected the battery this morning but no dice. Yeah have to follow traffic to regulate speed. Also the only indicator for the turn signals are the door mirrors. No fuel level etc.. Can't be legal to drive?
    on a side note though I've noticed this before you can't open the bonnet without opening the drivers door, never experienced that before, maybe the cable needs tightening up?
    Last edited by sunilr1; 05-10-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    Current: MkVI Golf GTI. Tiguan 162 Highline Pure white, DAP/Rline/Sun.
    Gone: Tiguan 103TDI.

That part is normal- and actually good. Adds an extra layer of protection against mistakenly opening the bonnet when driving/reaching for something else.
    It’s designed that way, with the location of the bonnet release and door trims.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonr23 View Post
    That part is normal- and actually good. Adds an extra layer of protection against mistakenly opening the bonnet when driving/reaching for something else.
    It’s designed that way, with the location of the bonnet release and door trims.
    Good to know. Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Use an app like Waze to give you a rough idea of your current speed (just to get to the dealer)
    BMW Z4 (2019)
    Audi TT quattro (2015), s-line in Nano Grey - sold

Just an update. Dropped the Tig at the stealership this morning. Will know later today what the issue is. They said they haven't seen this before. At least covered by warranty.

“Havent seen before” is just a standard line. It may be true in your case, but the phrase has lost all meaning and acceptance to me.

Good luck on a quick turn around. I do think they’ll fix the issue- how soon just depends on parts availability.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast