Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolant warning

Users Country Flag

Coolant warning

The other day i had the coolant light and error popup while driving (first time its happened)

The Tiguan is 800km's away from its first service, sure enough i pulled over and the coolant res is basically sitting on the low marker, obviously during driving the level moves around and has triggered the sensor.

Should i be worried? Its only done 14,000kms or is it too early to tell if there is a problem? Ive not noticed any coolant on the floor ever and there doesn't seem to be any obvious visual leaks

I would have thought that if there was an airlock or bubbles from filling at the factory that i would have had this problem well before 14,000kms as surely by now the coolant system would be well bled

hmm

Users Country Flag
    I’d top it up as per the manual if it needs it and monitor it daily under same conditions. I.e. check when cold, and check when hot. Note if there is an obvious decline over time for either condition.
    It might be worth booking that 15000km service ASAP and asking the dealer about it.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah I'm booked in for next Friday.
    I'll let them know and see what happens, i guess they'll not worry and just top it up
    I think if it drops again after this service then that probably indicates there is a problem, i would have thought there should be zero loss regardless

Users Country Flag
    I have to admit I lifted the bonnet once at the dealership (why? to check the engine was there I guess). At 600 km, I think I should lift the dipstick and check the fluids. I’m used to the 1000km service of yesteryear...

Yep the dealer will just shrug and top it up. Although they may be able to read the temperature log file and see if it has overheated.
    Going forward, take a photo of the water reservoir before and after you drive it each time after the service. For at least the first week, and then perhaps every week or two thereafter. Look for a trend in the level.
    The worry is, if your engine runs hot due to a leak, but doesn’t blow/seize, the dealer will likely fix the leak and leave you with a half baked engine for the rest of its life. That will probably be about 3 days after the warranty expired.

Afterthought... Have you noted the temp on the temperature gauge? My 162TSI rises quickly to a steady at about 90C in Sydney spring heat if that is helpful for reference.

Yep mine sits on the same about 90c and never noticed that its been above that, 162 TSI also.
    I've had the car since 28 Feb 17. will see how we go

Users Country Flag
    Just grab some G13 and top it up!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Coolant warning

Every VW I’ve owned sits on 90 degrees. 100% normal. Had a thermostat go bung on a Mk7 GTi. Showed very quickly on temp gauge plus the engine systems reduced the max rpm to 3,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just top it up with water. Distilled preferably but tap water in small quantities is fine.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

I understand the premise on topping it up, but its like topping up an engine with oil that's not meant to be burning it.
    I don't know if its reasonable that the coolant needs to be topped up at this stage.
    I'm not overly concerned at this stage anyhow, if it does it again after the service then ill be concerned.
    Just wondered if anyone elses new tig has had abit of coolant go astray, or if its normal before the first service that you would notice a drop as things all settle in

I was only suggesting that because the low coolant light is on then put some water in it to stop the light coming on until the service. Obviously it has to be monitored to determine if there is a problem.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast