Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolant warning

Users Country Flag

My Passat had the coolant light on at 55k km. The temp meter stays at 90 while the light was on. The coolant is below the minimum. Went to supercheap to get coolant liquid, they guy said better to flush the old one before you put a new one. VW service rep said don't top it / replace the fluid. Just put distilled water.

I am confused.

Current: MY16 132TSI | Luxury | R-Line
    MY14 C250 W205 | Command | Vision | Exclusive | Seat Comfort
    MY13 A200 W176 | Command | Vision | Exclusive | Seat Comfort

Users Country Flag
    Do not use Supercheap Auto coolant in a VW (in the words of Dr. Egon Spengler "Don't cross the streams!"), your risk creating gunk in your coolant system.

Suggest you go to a VW dealer and buy a bottle of VW G13+ coolant, then mix it with water (distilled water if you so desire) in accordance the directions on the bottle and use that to top up your coolant. It will reduce your chances of incurring a costly bill later. As a interim solution you can top up to the min mark with water (you are diluting the anti-freeze/anti-boil/anti-corrosion additive levels but it is ok for a top-up).
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag
    Look on the side of the coolant bottle It has which one it uses there Its Either G12 or G13 Probably the latter

DO NOT mix Coolants in a VW or you will be in deep doodoo. It turns into gunk if you do and will stuff the engine.

Do what Feenix says

Lastly find out why its losing coolant Could be the water pump as they are not known for longevity Only about $1000 to fix it $250 for the pump rest labour
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Happened on mine as well. Was up in the hills on the Qld/NSW border on a Sunday after driving from sea level to 1000m ASL.

Short of anything else I pulled over and topped it up with water at the time. No further issues since.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    My understanding is that you can mix VW G12, G12+, G12++ and G13 coolants. However, never, ever, mix G12, G12+, G12++ and G13 with the old VW G11 (pre-1996 VW coolant) as you are guaranteed to get gunk in your coolant system as a result.

VW: Mixing Factory Fill Coolants

Mixing VW coolant with non-VW coolant (unless you know for sure that the product is produced by the OEM supplier) is also risking the creation of gunk.

I was taught a rule of thumb by an old-VWer that as long as the coolant feels a bit slick and slippery when you rub it between your fingers (and then go wash your hand thoroughly before you handle food) it will be ok for anti-freeze/anti-boil performance (noting that if you follow the mixing ratio on the bottle of coolant that you buy from VW you will get the best anti-freeze/anti-boil/corrosion protection performance from the coolant).

As Hillbilly says, might be worthwhile having a quick look for a leak in your coolant system (if you have top up again in the near future then you are most likely dealing with a leak). Usually you can see the dried pink crust of coolant near the leak. Usual suspects are the water pump and the plastic flanges where the coolant pipe attaches to the engine block.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rave75 View Post
    My Passat had the coolant light on at 55k km. The temp meter stays at 90 while the light was on. The coolant is below the minimum. Went to supercheap to get coolant liquid, they guy said better to flush the old one before you put a new one. VW service rep said don't top it / replace the fluid. Just put distilled water.

I am confused.
    Just put distilled water in and let your service guy take care of it, they’re right. Don’t mix different coolants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the reply guys! Will top it up with distilled water until my next service (5k km).

Current: MY16 132TSI | Luxury | R-Line
    MY14 C250 W205 | Command | Vision | Exclusive | Seat Comfort
    MY13 A200 W176 | Command | Vision | Exclusive | Seat Comfort

Users Country Flag

Coolant warning

A lot of coolant posts but only one fault reported????

I had a low coolant warning a few months ago. Topped up with a small amount of water and thought that would be it.
    Checked the coolant the other day and noticed it's dropped from when I topped it up (marked with a texta).

When I looked more closely around the overflow reservoir there looked to be evidence of fluid coming from somewhere under the reservoir.
    The cars booked in for it's first service in about a week and a half so I'll see what they have to say.

Just wondering if anyone has had issues with the reservoir.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coolant warning-img_1909-jpg   Coolant warning-img_1910-jpg  

Coolant warning-img_1911-jpg   Coolant warning-img_1912-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    thats not coolant trace
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by GRD View Post
    A lot of coolant posts but only one fault reported????

I had a low coolant warning a few months ago. Topped up with a small amount of water and thought that would be it.
    Checked the coolant the other day and noticed it's dropped from when I topped it up (marked with a texta).

When I looked more closely around the overflow reservoir there looked to be evidence of fluid coming from somewhere under the reservoir.
    The cars booked in for it's first service in about a week and a half so I'll see what they have to say.

Just wondering if anyone has had issues with the reservoir.
    Just before my 2 year/30,000km service I've got the coolant light come up. The water level was just under the line in the reservoir. I thought the dealer would just top it up and send me back home but no, they did a pressure test without asking and found a leak. They replaced the thermostat housing. It's all good now.
    2017 Tiguan Highline 162TSI DAP, Sunroof, Black
    2018 Golf Comfortline 110TSI DAP, Infotainment, Silver

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast