Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolant warning

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Cheers
    It’s only come on twice which is good, if it was beeping at me all the time I would just top it up.
    Both times have been downhill, so the low level must just move slightly and trip the sensor.

Users Country Flag
    I've done only 4800kms and just completed a 2800km road trip. Arrived home with no warnings. Next day I went to go out and the coolant earning is displayed. I check the coolant tank and it is completely empty. The manual says I should get a 'professional' to fix the problem. Any comments or recommendations?
    MY17 Tiguan 140TDI + DAP; Ruby Red; Notification of Birth 19 May'17; Emigration on Morning Celesta began 2 June'17; Entry into Australia 17 Jul'17; Citizenship obtained 8 Sep'17;

My coolant warning came up last night just as I was leaving from work, when I checked the reservoir it was way below the Min range, which came to a big surprise for me as I've only done 826*KM on my 8 months car. This morning the warning didn't appear.

Would that be normal? On my previous car I change coolant basically every 10000km at service, and still have plenty of fluids left.

Coolant warning-coolant-jpgCoolant warning-coolant-jpg

Coolant warning

Without the manual to rely on, as I’m away at present, I think you’ll find that the volume of the coolant level is only accurate when the engine is at operating temperature. It will be lower when the car is cool. Thermal expansion of fluids and all that physics stuff.

In times gone by the reservoir in the photo was called an “expansion tank”. In the years before expansion tanks the coolant just dropped out onto the road. Now the coolant systems are are closed system. Instead of the coolant being dumped it is collected in the expansion tank. Then, when the engine cools, the fluid in the expansion tank flows back into the radiator.

If the volume in your expansion tank has been decreasing over time then you must be leaking it somewhere. The likely culprit is the radiator cap. Other options are the heater hoses, the radiator hoses or, least likely, the head gasket. If you’re worried, spend $10 on a new radiator cap (safety tip. Only remove it with the engine cool) then top up your coolant level to the full mark with the engine warm and monitor it for a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by IsDon; 27-10-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IsDon View Post
    Without the manual to rely on, as I’m away at present, I think you’ll find that the volume of the coolant level is only accurate when the engine is at operating temperature. It will be lower when the car is cool. Thermal expansion of fluids and all that physics stuff.

In times gone by the reservoir in the photo was called an “expansion tank”. In the years before expansion tanks the coolant just dropped out onto the road. Now the coolant systems are are closed system. Instead of the coolant being dumped it is collected in the expansion tank. Then, when the engine cools, the fluid in the expansion tank flows back into the radiator.

If the volume in your expansion tank has been decreasing over time then you must be leaking it somewhere. The likely culprit is the radiator cap. Other options are the heater hoses, the radiator hoses or, least likely, the head gasket. If you’re worried, spend $10 on a new radiator cap (safety tip. Only remove it with the engine cool) then top up your coolant level to the full mark with the engine warm and monitor it for a couple of weeks.
    Cheers on the info mate!

Although after the drive home last night (engine heated), the fluid level was roughly the same as the picture above (Which I took this morning, both below the minimum line). I've checked the floor and there's no evidence of liquid stains anywhere, I'm taking the car into the dealer to have a check up tomorrow, hopefully there's no leakage here.

Coolant warning

Are you certain it was filled to the correct level from the factory? Did you check it when you took delivery?

Not beyond possibility that it has always been low. I'd just top it up to where it should be and watch it for a few weeks. There might not be anything wrong.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by IsDon View Post
    Are you certain it was filled to the correct level from the factory? Did you check it when you took delivery?

Not beyond possibility that it has always been low. I'd just top it up to where it should be and watch it for a few weeks. There might not be anything wrong.
    With my coolant warning incident I eventually called Volkswagen Assist. The guy said that 'often' the cars are low in coolant from the factory. He topped it up with water (as the quantity of liquid required is only that seen on the tank). Then note the level and keep an eye on it. It is better to check when the engine is cool.
    MY17 Tiguan 140TDI + DAP; Ruby Red; Notification of Birth 19 May'17; Emigration on Morning Celesta began 2 June'17; Entry into Australia 17 Jul'17; Citizenship obtained 8 Sep'17;

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    With my coolant warning incident I eventually called Volkswagen Assist. The guy said that 'often' the cars are low in coolant from the factory. He topped it up with water (as the quantity of liquid required is only that seen on the tank). Then note the level and keep an eye on it. It is better to check when the engine is cool.
    Went in yesterday, guy basically said they must've not topped it off when I got the car, this might explain why my washer fluid came up short also just recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread bump, my shietbox 162TSI is doing the same thing..

Had the same issue, called up the dealer and they said to just top it up.. I told them it's a new car, I bought a new car so I wouldn't need to touch it. They advised to take it in - they completed a pressure test and topped it up.

Today at 9980km, guess what? low coolant again!

Brand new car, hasn't even clicked over 10 000km and it's gobbled up probably 1L of coolant already.
    Daily 2018 Tiguan MK2 Sportline (Drag & Drop Tune, 12.9s @ 108mph)
    Weekend/Track 1996 Skyline R33 GTS-t Stage 99 (Built Motor, GTX3576 Gen 2, 407rwkW) [Build Thread]

www.nhbautomotive.com.au

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Yep mines done it again and will beep now every drive
    This time at 38,000 kms
    It’s going on Friday for them to look at it, I said there’s no visible drips or leaks anywhere so don’t just top it up, pressure test it to ensure it’s holding up. I accepted the air lock from factory thing the first time but wouldn’t expect it again now

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast