Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controlling Golf R exhaust valves

Users Country Flag

Controlling Golf R exhaust valves

Hi All,

As per my intro post I'm getting a Tiguan 162 in early January and this forum has been a wealth of information, particularly Golf R exhaust and IS38 swaps!

First mod will be fitting a Golf R exhaust with OEM-like control of the valves. Not keen on the clunky AWE or Varex solutions that use wired or Bluetooth remotes. On my current car I've made an Arduino-based device ($15 worth of parts) that uses an MCP2515 CAN bus receiver that controls the exhaust valves via PWM. Valve position (0%-50%-100%) is based on drive mode selection signals sniffed from the CAN bus. Hoping this is doable for the Tiguan with Golf R exhaust valves, as the wiring diagrams for the Tiguan and Golf R look very similar.

My plan:
    1. Determine if OEM opening/closing is possible. Need to hook my scope up to pin 58 of the main 94 pin connector (T94) to confirm if the ECU (J623) in the Tiguan communicates with the exhaust valves (J883 and J945) as it would in a Golf R. If not, determine if this is something that can be enabled in a custom tune.
    2. Get hold of an OEM Golf R exhaust control valve and figure out the PWM voltage, frequency and duty cycle required to open and close the valves. I've got the schematic and can see the +5v, +12v and data lines.
    3. If point 1 above turns out impossible, capture a suitable CAN bus command (such as selecting Sport, or Individual DCC settings) and then send the PWM open/close commands to the valves accordingly. Not a bad outcome for minimal spend and decent integration.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I'd be very keen to know if anyone has looked into this further and can share results/issues. This forum has been a great source of info so I'm keen to give back where I can. Cheers.
    2020 Golf R | Indium Grey | Milltek/Racingline/APR hardware | Eibach Pro-Kit
    Ordered: BBS CI-R 19x8.5
    Planned: Etuners Motorsport stage 2 ECU/TCU tune | Michelin PS4S tyres

It’s possible that there’s an adaption setting in one of the modules to enable the output on the pins you’re talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I've been reading the VCDS discussions this morning - very promising. Definitely the best option if it can work. Now to build the wiring harness before the car arrives...

I have a Couple of Golf R exhausts in the shed - one with the valve controllers and one without.

If you need to test something out let me know. Based in Semaphore.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Cheers, would it be OK to grab one of the valve motors (if they come off easily enough) for a few days? I'll wait until I've got my own car to poke around the ECU and CAN bus pins.

Semaphore is close to Pirate Life, so win-win.

Controlling Golf R exhaust valves

Sure I’ve sent you a message. There’s 3 bolts holding this in but I had to brave the heat in the shed to get it off.

Users Country Flag
    Rosc0w.

I'm trying a similar thing to you, but make a complete valve controller using a +12v source as the trigger.

I have a set of Golf R Valves, an Arduino, and a Can bus controller.

I'm not sure that these valves operate with PWM as I've spent hours trying to get them to move using PWM, sending every possible frequency at both 10% and 90% duty cycle. at 5v and 12v.

I think the valves are controlled with Lin-bus, or possibly directly with Can-bus.

Have you made any progress?

Users Country Flag
    Why you want to mess with Arduino bt and external controller ? This device work on of existing MQB Gateway input , can-bus or linbus- you just need to follow Elsawin from original MQB car this module is taken and just connect to the same bus on Tiguan ,( possible bus is Drivetrain ,running gears) than just do adaptation and coding o Gateway and module possible BCM and ECU need coding.This module has built in Can communication PCB with Software built in , so you have all you need in except connector ,wiring.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by cameleon72 View Post
    Why you want to mess with Arduino bt and external controller ? This device work on of existing MQB Gateway input , can-bus or linbus- you just need to follow Elsawin from original MQB car this module is taken and just connect to the same bus on Tiguan ,( possible bus is Drivetrain ,running gears) than just do adaptation and coding o Gateway and module possible BCM and ECU need coding.This module has built in Can communication PCB with Software built in , so you have all you need in except connector ,wiring.
    I'm not putting this in a Tiguan... or indeed a VW...

This is my 88' MR2, with a Civic Type R K20a2 engine.
    I'm using a 2017 Golf R backbox, with the two valves, which I want to open when the engine hits VTEC as it needs more exhaust flow at that point.

The electronics on the car are early 2000 / 80's and it has no control system similar to CAN or LIN bus, so i need to make my own.

K series Adub, what a car!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast