Thread: Condensation/water inside the headlight

Users Country Flag

Condensation/water inside the headlight

After rain, I usually end up with water/condensation inside the right headlight.
    Does anyone know what is causing this? The headlight supposed to be a closed unit, correct?
    MY18 VW Tiguan Comfortline

If condensation is forming on the inside of your headlight then moisture must be entering somewhere for this to occur ... most likely a damaged seal.

Condensation/water inside the headlight

Yep it happens a lot

First, remove globe from engine bay side and run a hair dryer on low into headlight assembly to totally dry out condensation. You may find that reseating the globes creates a better air seal if your outer lens is not obviously cracked or damaged.

Second, I saw a video where guy drills a 5mm hole in a light assembly (they are all plastic) from underneath to any allow condensation to drain as a cheapo permanent fix that creates a bit of ventilation also. Remove the light assembly from the car first.

The heat from the headlights will also help burn off the condensation once you have the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Perthdisco; 21-06-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    After rain, I usually end up with water/condensation inside the right headlight.
    How long has this been happening?
    Is it more recently or since new?
    I see you have '17 model - is it still under warranty?
    As mentioned, you may have a small crack somewhere that's letting the moisture in
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

I had this happen a year into ownership. They said it was normal. I complained about it later and had it replaced. No issues since.
    I would push them to replace.
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks guys, I will tell the VW service next time I bring my car there to replace it. It happened since the beginning or like veew a year later, don't remember.
    Yes, my car has 5 years warranty.

Interestingly, I have read on another VW forum that the headlight is actually not a closed/sealed unit, it is open at the bottom for air circulation to take the heat away, what the bulb is generating. I will ask a mechanic in the VW service next time.

By the way, if I remove the rubber dust cap and drive like that, the condensation disappears. But then the dust from the engine bay can get into the headlight assembly, hence the name: dust cap.
    I was even thinking to poke some holes with a needle into the rubber dust cap to help with the air flow, but since the car is still under warranty, it is better if I ask them to replace it. I actually have MY18 Tiguan.
    MY18 VW Tiguan Comfortline

I gave my Allspace a quick wash this afternoon for the first time and noticed condensation buildup in the indicators housing. Did the new rubber seals fix the problem? We have other cars with led lights but never had issues like this.

Edit: car is 2 months old with 670km on it and while it did dry quite quickly in this crazy weather in Melbourne, condensation was across the whole housing on both sides. Can’t remember if there was any in the corners of headlight housing though.
    Last edited by vdubbed12; 27-08-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubbed12 View Post
    car is 2 months old with 670km on it
    So still only on your second tank of fuel...these are crazy times
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Quote Originally Posted by iDiesel View Post
    So still only on your second tank of fuel...these are crazy times
    Yeah still on my second tank after 3 months of ownership. At least the numbers are coming down now so hopefully restrictions will be eased from next week.