Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common problems to look out for when buying 2nd hand

Users Country Flag

Common problems to look out for when buying 2nd hand

I'm going to be purchasing a 2nd hand 162 R-Line within the next 12 months. We are a 1 car family and both my wife and I are set on the Tig - we have looked at alternatives but keep coming back to the Tig. As I've been into cars for 25 years, I like to know everything I can about what I own.

I normally work on my own cars, obtain parts and do the job myself or use a private mechanic. I try to avoid getting bent over by dealers. The last car I bought under factory warranty was back at the dealer multiple times within the first year to fix the same stalling problem, later on I was lumped with ordering 2nd hand parts from the UK to replace things like failed door locks as the dealer wanted to charge me over $300 for a replacement and I rebuilt part of the engine loom myself where insulation had become brittle and bare wires were shorting. I'd like to leave no stone unturned when shopping for a Tig so I don't end up inheriting other people's problems.

Prerequisites are it has to be a 162 with 20" rims and leather, premium sound would be nice.

So far from what I've read on multiple forums, the MK2 Tig may encounter the following problems:

- sunroof leaks due to blocked drains. this is a known fault and should be fixed by the dealer under warranty.
    I have to park outside, sometimes under a tree so chance of crap falling onto the roof, into drains and causing the leak are high. Do R-Lines come without the sunroof, as I have only seen them with? does the factory fix address the root cause of the problem or would I still have to ensure the drains are clear?

- premature water pump leak/failure. another known fault and expensive fix.

- boot latch fails to lock. another known fault.

Anyone else have any input?

Also just to note that I am not rubbishing the Tig, all cars have their faults and manufacturing defects as I've experienced in the past. What I'm trying to achieve is looking at the service history to ensure these have been ticked off as being fixed otherwise, I understand the risk or could potentially leverage the risk when negotiating a price so I don't end up in a situation where it would have been cheaper to buy a brand new Tig.

Users Country Flag
    Yes they come without sunroofs. I expressly bought mine because it didnt have one. I only like to wash my feet in the shower
    Havent heard about the boot lock problem Mine is OK after 2 years and they close softly, unlike my Passat which used to slam shut.

Heard about water pump leaks but not only in Tiguans as VW persist with plastic pumps and about $1200 to replace one.
    Up to 2019 they are quite customizable electronically to give quite a few enhancements.
    Be careful with the 20's they are expensive if you damage them Like $800 each new. Ive been into cars for over 50 years but I wont be working on mine as they are so complicated these day best to leave it to the experts.

Just make sure you use correct approved oils and it should be good
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Yes they come without sunroofs. I expressly bought mine because it didnt have one. I only like to wash my feet in the shower
    Havent heard about the boot lock problem Mine is OK after 2 years and they close softly, unlike my Passat which used to slam shut.

Heard about water pump leaks but not only in Tiguans as VW persist with plastic pumps and about $1200 to replace one.
    Up to 2019 they are quite customizable electronically to give quite a few enhancements.
    Be careful with the 20's they are expensive if you damage them Like $800 each new. Ive been into cars for over 50 years but I wont be working on mine as they are so complicated these day best to leave it to the experts.

Just make sure you use correct approved oils and it should be good
    Thanks Hillbilly,

I've considered a standard highline due to the fact there are more of them without the sunroof and also with 18's. The only issue is, to me they lack the street appeal of the R-Line. As I've always modified my cars, the R-Line ticks all the boxes whereas the highline will leave me feeling like I don't have an R-Line. colour coded lower skirts and 20's just make the car, but understand that the Suzuka rims are not cheap.

I'll try to keep an eye out for a sunroof-less R-Line.

I've always used recommended or better products in my cars, I'm using fully synthetic 5w-30 in my current car. Despite cars looking way more complicated these days when you pop the bonnet, I can assure you they're pretty much the same as they've always been when you remove the plastic cover. Manufacturers putting torx bolts on everything and a big plastic cover over a bog standard internal combustion engine was genius, a deterrent for would be home/bush mechanics if anything

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneAsylum View Post
    Thanks Hillbilly,

I, I can assure you they're pretty much the same as they've always been when you remove the plastic cover.
    I can assure you that after pulling the cover off mine a couple of days ago they look nothing like my Previous Toyotas, Holden, Commondores or any of the other 35 cars I have owned.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    The other thing I've heard is the leather seat splitting at the seams

Users Country Flag
    Havent heard that on here either Might depend on how big your bum is.
    Probably depends on how you treat them We always lift ourselves OVER the side bolster as in older cars they degenerated from constant sitting on them. Also keep your wallet out of your back pocket. Worst thing for rubbing seats.

Users Country Flag
    This is a bit of an issue on the Golf's but haven't heard of people complaining about it on the Tiguans.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Might be stating the obvious but make sure the DSG and Haldex fluids have been changed out as required depending on the age and K's. Those are expensive bits to replace. Check out the front brakes, ours were shot at 56,000 (Depends on driving style) but really needed changing out earlier. Replacement discs and pads if staying standard are not too expensive if you can change them yourself.
    Current: MkVI Golf GTI. Tiguan 162 Highline Pure white, DAP/Rline/Sun.
    Gone: Tiguan 103TDI.

Blog Entries

Common problems to look out for when buying 2nd hand

Off-road use. Three years ago I was looking at dealer used cars and came across a bunch of similar year and KM Tiguan cars at various dealers. They seemed to have had hard mud in parts they missed cleaning. Ended up finding out they were sold by VW at actions to dealers after being used as off-road demonstrators
    VW Tiguan 2018 162TSI Highline
    VW Polo 2015 81TSI Comfortline

Users Country Flag

Not sure about the SWB, but the Allspace has had quite a few recallsMake sure all those are ticked off.

Browse all recalls | Product Safety Australia
    Last edited by iDiesel; 06-03-2021 at 08:20 AM.
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast