Thread: Cold air intake options.

Users Country Flag

Cold air intake options.

Hey all,

In the near future I'll be getting stage 1 Revo tune and also DSG tune but I'm also looking at cold air intake options. I was initially looking at a leyo but now I've been looking at the Revo one.

What are you guys running and any pros or cons with what you've got?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I would avoid any which use a oiled foam filter, as they are messy, annoying to clean, and the foam breaks apart after a few years and you need to fork out for a new expensive filter.

The Racingline R600 is a good option, but pricey and the optional better cotton filter is $300.

I use the Integrated Engineering intake on my car (which is quite popular) and its great.

Also the Leyo products are great quality so shouldn't be worried about grabbing a Leyo if you like it.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 08-09-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I do love the look of the r600, like you said a bit pricey, but also still an option.

Yeah I also thought the foam filters would deteriorate and go ****ty after a while

Users Country Flag
    I'm running modified stock intake with inspiration from what some others here and on Mk7 forums had done:

-upgrade the panel filter to high-flow aftermarket (currently running BMC)
    -remove the snow grate
    -updated the stock intake hose to RacingLine silicone hose
    -purchased the intake block off trim (Euro OEM MQB Blockoff Plate for MK7 | MK7.5 Golf GTI R | Best VWR R600 intake Alternative? - YouTube)
    -cut out the front of the stock intake for direct airflow (Mk7 / MK7.5 Budget Intake Build! - YouTube)

pretty much similar design to the r600 minus the pod..?

Additionally:
    -upgraded the turbo inlet elbow (running RacingLine elbow)
    -upgraded the stock diverter valve (DV+)

I admit it's not as loud as an aftermarket intake (especially those with the open lid) but for the money, im pretty happy. Especially getting stuff 2nd hand or on sale (keep an eye out for 2nd hand R600s!)

also (if you haven't already seen it) this guy has done a tonne of testing which might be a useful reference for tested combinations - Best Turbo Inlet Pipe Faceoff - MQB Engine Options | My Golf Mk7 GTI
    MY09 MKV Golf R32 | Black Pearl | Recaros | Sunroof | RNS510 | Purchased Feb '10 | Sold Jul '17
    MY19 MKII Tiguan Highline 162TSI | Indium Grey | S&V | Pano Roof | R-Line | Purchased Nov '18

Quote Originally Posted by FLVCKO View Post
    Hey all,

In the near future I'll be getting stage 1 Revo tune and also DSG tune but I'm also looking at cold air intake options. I was initially looking at a leyo but now I've been looking at the Revo one.

What are you guys running and any pros or cons with what you've got?

Depends what you are after - just performance or noise as well?
    Stage 1 - K&N Panel Filter with Snow Grate removed is more than sufficient.

I'm running IS38 and have this but also with CTS intake elbow & ECS intake pipe to stock airbox.

Save your money for other mods.

Users Country Flag
    Can I ask what you guys have put in. I have replaced the filter and put a K&N and removed the snow grate. I have opened up the intake scoop and blanked the hot side off. I am now looking at the turbo inlet pipe and turbo inlet hose that is available on autoinstruct, but I have the MAF sensor so this inlet hose will not fit, unless I cut it down to size I imagine.

What have others done for the inlet hose with a MAF. I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezzaano View Post
    Can I ask what you guys have put in. I have replaced the filter and put a K&N and removed the snow grate. I have opened up the intake scoop and blanked the hot side off. I am now looking at the turbo inlet pipe and turbo inlet hose that is available on autoinstruct, but I have the MAF sensor so this inlet hose will not fit, unless I cut it down to size I imagine.

What have others done for the inlet hose with a MAF. I can't seem to find one anywhere.
    If your is a TDI then I believe this is the pipe you need. Its ok to replace components before or after the MAF sensor, but leave the MAF sensor itself and its little plastic housing alone - they are very sensitive and are calibrated for that specific plastic housing.

Darkside Developments - Turbo to Airbox TIP Silicone for 2.0 TDi 16v Top Mounted PPD170 / CR140 / CR170
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    If your is a TDI then I believe this is the pipe you need. Its ok to replace components before or after the MAF sensor, but leave the MAF sensor itself and its little plastic housing alone - they are very sensitive and are calibrated for that specific plastic housing.

Darkside Developments - Turbo to Airbox TIP Silicone for 2.0 TDi 16v Top Mounted PPD170 / CR140 / CR170
    Thanks for sharing, ill check it out. Yeah I am definitely cautious of the sensor. Do you think changing these intake pipes and elbows require a tune? Or its fine without it?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pezzaano View Post
    Thanks for sharing, ill check it out. Yeah I am definitely cautious of the sensor. Do you think changing these intake pipes and elbows require a tune? Or its fine without it?
    Totally fine without a tune. Just make sure it fits well and the clamps are done up tight so that there are no leaks (leaks post MAF sensor = trouble). I have a silicone intake pipe from Darkside on my SQ5 and its very nice quality and fits well so you should be fine.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST