Thread: Check engine oil light - 10 months old Allspace

Check engine oil light - 10 months old Allspace

I just had the Check engine oil light come on during my drive on the weekend and wondered if anyone else has experienced it or would know what are the likely causes. The car has 7563km when the warning light came on. I’ve picked up the car in June 2020 - it was manufactured at the end of January 2020. I don’t drive in heavy traffic and have only been driving it daily since December after I sold my other car. My 10 year old MK6 GTI did it from about 3 years ago and I carry a top up so I was quite surprised the brand new car is losing engine oil already. Would it be possible that it was not adequately filled at the factory? I’ve now topped up with 750ml of Castrol 5W-30 LL and now sitting right in the middle of dipstick - it was just under min level when the light came on.
    MY20 Tiguan Allspace Black - R-Line, S&V, Pano roof
    MY11 MK6 GTI Black - Leather, Sunroof etc.
    MY17 MK7 Golf 92 TSI
    MY18 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD (For sale)

Users Country Flag
    It certainly seems excessive; I had an Audi A4 probably with the same 2.00 litre engine that used 1 litre per 1500km for a while. I started to drive it more vigorously and after a while it reduced usage; but still more than I liked. The dealer put it down to more flexible rings to reduce friction and thus improve fuel economy. Could be BS? I'd have it checked with your dealer.

Users Country Flag
    Do you check the oil regularly or have you never checked it.?????

I check mine at the very most once a month and always after a trip of 200km or more.
    My Tig has never required oil to be topped up except when I got it home from dealer it needed 500ml. Has done 9000km now
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Its very common for modern engine to burn a small amount of oil. A litre every 7,500km would be well within tolerances. Either check your oil once a month for example (which everyone should be doing anyway) or carry a 1L bottle in the boot.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Its very common for modern engine to burn a small amount of oil. A litre every 7,500km would be well within tolerances. Either check your oil once a month for example (which everyone should be doing anyway) or carry a 1L bottle in the boot.

Thanks for the heads up Lucas_R, I was aware that’s usually the case for this engine but I was quite surprised it happened at the very beginning of the ownership. I’ll definitely be carrying a top up bottle in the boot now. You’re right about checking oil level at least once a month which I do on my MK6 GTI but took it for granted that a new car will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Do you check the oil regularly or have you never checked it.?????

I check mine at the very most once a month and always after a trip of 200km or more.
    My Tig has never required oil to be topped up except when I got it home from dealer it needed 500ml. Has done 9000km now

I haven’t checked it on my Allspace at all - I’ve really been driving it more regularly from mid December last year but I haven’t really thought of checking it as the car was new and we’ve been busy with moving house etc. I’d better check it more regularly now and see if it keeps happening or how much oil is lost.
    Last edited by vdubbed12; 26-04-2021 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Double quote

Quote Originally Posted by Suncoaster View Post
    It certainly seems excessive; I had an Audi A4 probably with the same 2.00 litre engine that used 1 litre per 1500km for a while. I started to drive it more vigorously and after a while it reduced usage; but still more than I liked. The dealer put it down to more flexible rings to reduce friction and thus improve fuel economy. Could be BS? I'd have it checked with your dealer.
    I’m just going to keep an eye on it for a while now as my first service is coming up in 5-6 weeks. I’ve driven my GTI very hard at the beginning of my ownership and even done a lot of driving in heavy traffic in Sydney and Melbourne but this issue only happened in about my 7th year of ownership. I haven’t driven the Allspace hard at all but not babied it either. Don’t know if it matters. We will see.

After topping up 750ml when the engine was hot, less than 30 minutes of turning it off, it was sitting in the middle of the dipstick. I checked it again in the morning when the engine was cold and it’s at the same spot in the dipstick. Wouldn’t it have to be lower?

Edit: just checked it again, maybe slightly lower but not easy to tell.
    Last edited by vdubbed12; 26-04-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Users Country Flag

Well i have always checked my oil in the morning when engine has cooled down and presumably the hot oil has leaked down to fill the sump.

As for how often, Once a week whether car used or not as who knows if a line has split or whatever.

When we were on the road vanning for two years I had a ritual EVERY MORNING Tyres , water, oil without fail.
    Have had 3 VW since 2010 and only ever put oil in twice and both times was after a service when tech didnt fill it completely
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan