Thread: Cheap Chinese Bolt On Parts

Cheap Chinese Bolt On Parts

Hey all,

Was just browsing the web for silicone turbo inlet hose and the 90 degree turbo inlet and stumbled across what seems to be a Chinese company selling a cheap kit together on Amazon.

Kyostar Turbo Inlet Elbow Silicone Air Intake Hose Pipe For VW MK7 Golf GTI R S3 A3 EA888 (a set): Amazon.com.au: Automotive

It's seems to be a 5ply construction on the silicone hose like all the well known brands and the turbo inlet is CNC'd aluminium that is tig welded and powder coated.

Anyone have any reasons why they wouldn't by this set, given that it's just air passing through?

Users Country Flag
    Can it withstand the passive heat from the engine? Will the silicone lose its shape over time? If something goes wrong would you know who to chase it up with? Do they have customer support?

Simply, if you're happy to accept the risk with cheap parts and something going wrong, then nothing should stop you.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. To me it has always seemed strange that people fork out big bucks on a car (I don't know how well-off you are) only to then refuse to install quality components.

Users Country Flag
    I dare say most of the silicone joiners and other parts are made in China these days, even when stamped with big name brands logos. The silicone looks like its nice and solid, with plenty of layers to make it hold its shape and withstand engine bay heat cycles. Likewise, the alloy inlet elbow looks exactly as per the big name brands and has rubber o rings etc to ensure a good seal.

I had a China intercooler kit on my Mk6 Golf R and it fitted well and worked great, and was approx $400 vs around $800-900 for the bigger brand names. I was the test bunny so to speak, and once other forum users saw that it fitted well and my testing showed it actually worked well too, plenty of other people bought the same one (still now, about 5 years on i get the odd PM asking about the intercooler). The only complaint i had with my China intercooler kit was that the worm clamps were not great so I purchased some new clamps which was approx $20-30. The included clamps still worked fine but i just didnt like them.

I say give it a try - for the sake of $110 its worth it.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 15-10-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

As far as I can tell all the specs match up to the big name brands, it looks to be almost identical apart from a few cosmetic differences to the racingline version.

I don't mind forking out for a better brand name, in fact I'm looking at purchasing all the bolts one in the racingline brand as I like it quite a lot and I absolutely need as much as I can of the same brand to fix my OCD.

Just was curious as to see what others opinions were and figured may as well just spend the 100 bucks to test it out.

Users Country Flag
    A word of warning, not all Racingline parts fit the Tiguan. Depending on what you plan on modifying you're going to have to settle for using different brands.

I know this because I have the R600 intake (I replaced their foam filter with a pod filter attachment), hose, elbow, oil catch can and oil cooler system.
    I have their lower engine mount installed but had to get the pendulum arm refabricated because it was too short.
    The mount is also hard as hell and a month later I still have vibration on idle and reverse, but it's eased since install.
    APR make one that fits the Tiguan and their mount doesn't seem to be as hard.
    That's just one example.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I've had a cheap chinese set of IC inlet/outlet pipes on my Octavia for the past 100k km. No issues.

AliExpress is a great place for parts
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

I purchased the Koyostar for my 162kw R line, fitted perfectly with the inlet pipe and turbo muffler, also fitted a turbo smart valve.