Thread: Changed to AGM battery, re-coding required?

Users Country Flag

Changed to AGM battery, re-coding required?

I installed a new AGM battery to replace a weak OEM one. Do I need to do any coding since this is different from the original? The battery does not have a BEM sticker with manufacturer and other codes.

Under battery adaptation -
    serial number - just apply a different number to the old value eg: 1111111111 to 1111111112, that is to reset the history on the new battery
    rated battery capacity - make sure your Ah (if different) is updated
    battery technology - you should be right with EFB or fleece
    battery manufacture - you don't really need if this is not available

Ah and new serial number are the important parts to change.
    Last edited by Flipper Dog; 17-03-2019 at 01:13 PM.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pbrowne View Post
    I installed a new AGM battery to replace a weak OEM one. Do I need to do any coding since this is different from the original? When to replace car battery? Visit this link for more info that you need. The battery does not have a BEM sticker with manufacturer and other codes.
    According what i read is "it may varies, you may not have to. If you replace wet-cell type battery to an AGM type battery, or vice versa, you must code for the change. Because AGM and wet-cell batteries require a different rate of charge output from the alternator. Moving between these two types without coding can lead to over-charging or under-charging."

Users Country Flag
    Yes you need. you must code as AGM for full benefit of AGM . There is option for AGM, enter serial as needed , you have lots instructions online how to decode and input serial if is OEM battery , if is cheap no name copy brand with no bem code just change as other suggest changing .

Users Country Flag
    "AGM and other sealed batteries do not like heat and should be installed away from the engine compartment. Manufacturers recommend halting charge if the battery core reaches 49°C (120°F)."

How is that? Where did you put yours?
    MY18 VW Tiguan Comfortline

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    "AGM and other sealed batteries do not like heat and should be installed away from the engine compartment. Manufacturers recommend halting charge if the battery core reaches 49°C (120°F)."

How is that? Where did you put yours?
    VW stop start vehicles have AGM batteries in the engine bay and work quite well even in QLD Mine lasted 4 years of only occasional use and sitting around for often 2 weeks at a time
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan