Thread: Car rolled back in P (no park brake)… transmission damage?

Car rolled back in P (no park brake)… transmission damage?

Morning guys,

Wondering if anyone with way more expertise can help me.

Yesterday I inadvertently didn’t pull up the electromechanical park brake on my brand new Tiguan (6 speed DSG), when parking on a reasonable slope.

The car was in park, and when I took my foot off the brake, it rolled back a little then locked in.

I realised my error straight away and put the park brake on, pressed the brake pedal, and pulled the gear shift out of park. It required some force to do so, with a bit of a clunk.

With a little research I found that the car had been resting on the “parking pawl”, and that this can be tight to disengage when on a slope.

My question to those with a mechanical mind… have I damaged the parking pawl component by letting the car roll back onto it without the park brake? (Or caused damage when I pulled the lever back out of park subsequently?).

I’m a little concerned as the car is new, and I’ve read that parking pawls can fracture or wear with misuse.

Grateful to anyone who can help out with some info.

Cheers guys!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users Country Flag
    Same as in any other type of auto and something you shouldnt do as the result can be as you say. Why would you not put the handbrake on when parking on a hill ,is something that is an automatic action.
    You could have damaged it but will be expensive to find out .
    Tiguans also have auto hold (hill hold) so why not use that also.

Lesson learned Dont forget it but has been the same since any auto in almost any car.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Thanks Hillbilly.

It was a strange oversight as yes, putting on the brake is an automatic response.

Perhaps it’s the result of the button instead of the traditional handbrake… too much automation caused me to forget!

Is there any way to test whether I’ve caused any damage?

I’m assuming the component can cope with a one-off incident like this? But I’d love to be sure I’ve not caused damage somehow.

Cheers
    Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users Country Flag
    Wouldnt worry too much they are built to take a few attempts I guess

Users Country Flag
    Im sure its fine. If you had done any damage you would have known about it pretty quickly. Count yourself lucky.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I think you’ll be right mate
    I’ve seen this happen in many different cars many times over the years and never been an issue
    Obviously avoid doing it if you can though
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    I still practice the old school regime of stop with foot on the brake, then into neutral, handbrake on, foot off brake so handbrake takes the stopping load and then move into park.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozzz View Post
    I still practice the old school regime of stop with foot on the brake, then into neutral, handbrake on, foot off brake so handbrake takes the stopping load and then move into park.
    Same except I put brake on whilst still in gear then N foot off brake P Ensures its holding on the brake and not the parking pawl

Quote Originally Posted by Mozzz View Post
    Pretty much what I do when I remember haha. esp when on a slope.
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback - you’ve put my mind at rest!
    Cheers,
    Mike