Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brakes shot at 45k

Users Country Flag

Brakes shot at 45k

Hey,

Have just had a call from the local VW (getting the 45k service done at the min) letting me know apparently the discs and pads are metal to metal (i wouldn't think this would be the case) i would say they would be getting low. I would have thought i would have got a warning on the dash or a CEL if the pads were getting low as they have sensors?

Its also never made a noise on braking that youd assume if metal on metal.

Would it be right to assume that you'd only get 45-50k out of the original pads and discs?

They quoted $1,144 to change ti all over
    $590 for the rotors, $285 for the pads and $270 for labour. I have no idea if that's on the money or way off.

hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    Hey,

Have just had a call from the local VW (getting the 45k service done at the min) letting me know apparently the discs and pads are metal to metal (i wouldn't think this would be the case) i would say they would be getting low.
    Did you take a look before you took it in to service ? That'd give you an idea on how much pad there is at least.

I say bring the car home and shop around. You can always take it back to change at VW at a later date at the same 'great' price. OEM parts are notoriously expensive.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Dont use the VW brake pads again otherwise you will be doing the same thing again at 90,000km. Get some aftermarket pads like Akebono or ATE which are ceramic so they produce far less dust and dont wear out the disks anywhere nearly as fast.

Give Brakes Direct a call and see what they can offer. This link are parts for the 1st generation Tiguan but im sure they can source parts for the current model too. https://brakesdirect.com.au/aus/cata...2B%25285N%2529

Around $400 for front and rear standard replacement disks from DBA
    Around $150-200 for new pads front and rear (such as Remsa Ultra Ceramic)
    Around $200 labour if you cant do it yourself.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Well i didn't bother looking to honest as i didn't think they'd need doing yet, and they also didn't say they were getting lowish at the 30k mark, which i would have expected if they needed doing at the 45k they would have been low at the 30k (assumption here).

This is my first euro car and i know the brakes are diff in euros with the whole setup is required not really to get too warm to still bite good, so i'm not surprised if they possibly do need doing, or are getting low, but i wouldn't think they are 'metal to metal' given they are silent and haven't made a sound yet.

I did ring the clutch and brake i normally use for my other car, $620 fitted (protex discs and TRW pads), apparently 2 types of calipers though, if have the other one then $60 more for the diff pads.

*shrugs* big difference

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    Well i didn't bother looking to honest as i didn't think they'd need doing yet, and they also didn't say they were getting lowish at the 30k mark, which i would have expected if they needed doing at the 45k they would have been low at the 30k (assumption here).

This is my first euro car and i know the brakes are diff in euros with the whole setup is required not really to get too warm to still bite good, so i'm not surprised if they possibly do need doing, or are getting low, but i wouldn't think they are 'metal to metal' given they are silent and haven't made a sound yet.

I did ring the clutch and brake i normally use for my other car, $620 fitted (protex discs and TRW pads), apparently 2 types of calipers though, if have the other one then $60 more for the diff pads.

*shrugs* big difference
    Go with ATE ceramic pads with new rotors i have 45k on mine so far (golf R brakes) and the pads have barely got any wear on them i might get 200k!
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

I'm going to put Elig Sports pads on ours when they're toast, should be much better than the current OEM TRW dust storm pads!

Also, regardless what some brake websites tell you - the pad for these cars 132/162 Tiguans are actually the Golf R MK7 pad, which measures about 180mm wide. Also, if you're looking for rotors they're the same as the Golf R at 340mm.

You have the option of running the wave disc too (for extra Auto Salon cred).
    Daily 2018 Tiguan MK2 Sportline (Drag & Drop Tune, 12.9s @ 108mph)
    Weekend/Track 1996 Skyline R33 GTS-t Stage 99 (Built Motor, GTX3576 Gen 2, 407rwkW) [Build Thread]

www.nhbautomotive.com.au

Users Country Flag
    Hi Smarty
    What sort of driving do you mostly do?
    country, rural, inner city, peak hour.

Dont know too much about what you should expect from pads - 45k-60k seems about right (?), but rotors should be far longer yeah?
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    It would be a mix between highway and just normal to the shops and here and there I guess.

I’ll see what they reckon at the brake shop in the morning, if the rotors can be machined I’ll machine them and then change them at the next pad change. Not sure if I can though I couldn’t be bothered taking a wheel off to put the vernier on them. I think if they are down to 27mm they are scrap, and the front has a decent lip on it so chances are they only have a mm in them.
    Last edited by smarty; 02-10-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Mine aren't even half worn at 40,000 and I don't drive slow.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    Mine aren't even half worn at 40,000 and I don't drive slow.
    It aint driving fast that wears them, its not slowing down in time and having to mash them to stop.

Have a friend who only drives as far ahead as the front of the bonnet.. Roars up to cars ahead and slams on the brakes, when its bloody obvious he needs to stop. Same at roundabouts, he moans his tyres wear out fast, Yeah well if you have them howling at every roundabout they tend to do that. It isnt always the equipment's fault
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast