Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brakes shot at 45k

Thanks justcrusn for clarifying

That is a good general usage example. I’m hoping I get decent brake life from my tiguan. It’ll be the first car I’ve had to do brakes on- if not. So far I’ve not had to on any car(clutch either). Although I don’t tend to do more than about 50000kms in any one car. This is my first brand new one though, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Dont use the VW brake pads again otherwise you will be doing the same thing again at 90,000km. Get some aftermarket pads like Akebono or ATE which are ceramic so they produce far less dust and dont wear out the disks anywhere nearly as fast.

Give Brakes Direct a call and see what they can offer. This link are parts for the 1st generation Tiguan but im sure they can source parts for the current model too. https://brakesdirect.com.au/aus/cata...2B%25285N%2529

Around $400 for front and rear standard replacement disks from DBA
    Around $150-200 for new pads front and rear (such as Remsa Ultra Ceramic)
    Around $200 labour if you cant do it yourself.

I'm just adding a +1 recommendation to this approach. I got the DBA discs from brakesdirect and ATE ceramic pads from Eurobahn, had them fitted by my indie mechanic. It all came to less than other quotes (that I had received and seen people post here) with much better quality parts.
    2007 Passat V6 FSI 4Motion Sedan | Reflex Silver | DBA Slotted Rotors | ATE Ceramics | Pioneer Car Play |
    | Emblem Reverse Camera | R-Line MFSW w. flappy paddles! | Supernova Headlight LEDs & Parkers |
    On the radar: Chrome switches, engine mounts | Living vicariously through everybody else's mods!

Users Country Flag
    You have the option of running the wave disc too (for extra Auto Salon cred).
    Sold...
    Tiguan Gen2 162TSI Etuners IS38 Stage 3 238.6 kw@4 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by shinjukuthief View Post
    I'm just adding a +1 recommendation to this approach. I got the DBA discs from brakesdirect and ATE ceramic pads from Eurobahn, had them fitted by my indie mechanic. It all came to less than other quotes (that I had received and seen people post here) with much better quality parts.
    Hey mate, did you get flat faced rotors or slotted?
    Do the brakes make any more noise compared to OEM?
    I need to change my front pads and rotors so will probably do the same as you.
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Users Country Flag
    Just had my 30,000km service (car has only done 27,000km) and they rang me to say my brake pads needed to be replaced! I don't make a habit of slamming on the brakes so I was rather shocked to hear that it didn't last very long. I do commute to the city on most weekdays...but still, 27,000km only. They replaced my front brake pads and discs - charged me $960.

Quote Originally Posted by TiggyDriver View Post
    Just had my 30,000km service (car has only done 27,000km) and they rang me to say my brake pads needed to be replaced! I don't make a habit of slamming on the brakes so I was rather shocked to hear that it didn't last very long. I do commute to the city on most weekdays...but still, 27,000km only. They replaced my front brake pads and discs - charged me $960.
    Ouch! I think some service centres do tend to change things like brakes and tyres excessively early just in case you need to get then replaced before the next scheduled service.

I’d prefer just to get them done when they need to rather than when it’s convenient for them.

Also $960 does sound a lot for stock pads and rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    I would have been asking to see both the pads and the discs before they did anything

Like the dealer that said wifes car needed a new battery badly. Well I changed it two years later and it was still starting the car if a bit slowly
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

The assessment for brake life has to allow for long service intervals that cars have these days and not the short intervals that used to be normal. The truck fleet I used to look after had some extensive oil testing done by the dealer and we found that the oil was still good at 75,000 kms but we could never have let the vehicles go that far because they needed a visual inspection and spanner check well before then but theoretically it could be done.

Users Country Flag
    Don’t panic, tell them you come when your brakes are really due for replacing. There’s the brake pad wear indicator that will light up on the dash. When that happens there’s usually 3mm friction material remaining on the pads.

What about disc wear?

I can see my front discs have already worn about 1-1.5mm in 22000kms.

Haven’t checked the pads yet (or looked at the brake reservoir)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast