Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brakes shot at 45k

Driving fast in hilly country where I live does have a huge effect on brake life, not knowing how to save them going downhill is the problem. A lot of years ago when the local coast road was closed for a few years and I owned the local car repair workshop we could see the brake pads wear rate on cars we were servicing starting to go through the roof because all the mums were driving down Bulli Pass every afternoon to pick up the kids.

Not to mention they were probably exceeding the friction material's ideal operating temps. Most OEM pads are rated up to about 400 degrees Celsius anyhow and Bulli pass is a nice bit of road.

Also back in the day where most people drove manual cars you'll have less brake wear as everyone would engine brake as well.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dose Pipe Sutututu View Post
    Also back in the day where most people drove manual cars you'll have less brake wear as everyone would engine brake as well.
    Don't a lot of modern auto gearboxes downshift on downhills (I know my Tiggy does)
    I guess it's not quite the same, but would help.
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Quote Originally Posted by iDiesel View Post
    Don't a lot of modern auto gearboxes downshift on downhills (I know my Tiggy does)
    I guess it's not quite the same, but would help.
    that's true they do, but not as much as you would if you drove stick
    Daily 2018 Tiguan MK2 Sportline (Drag & Drop Tune, 12.9s @ 108mph)
    Weekend/Track 1996 Skyline R33 GTS-t Stage 99 (Built Motor, GTX3576 Gen 2, 407rwkW) [Build Thread]

www.nhbautomotive.com.au

Users Country Flag
    Had a 45K service on our Mk2 Tig a couple of months ago and according to the service sheet front pads were 11mm and rear 9mm.
    2017 Orange Tiguan 110 TDI Comfortline + DAP .
    Traded 2009 Tiguan TDI auto Mountain Grey.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by peter51 View Post
    Had a 45K service on our Mk2 Tig a couple of months ago and according to the service sheet front pads were 11mm and rear 9mm.
    It would depend a lot on whether you did some highway miles or mainly city stop start.
    My front pads at the first service, 10,000km, were 10mm, rears 10 mm.
    2018 Tiguan 162TSI R

Users Country Flag
    My Jetta as a general use family car.
    Rear brakes 84,950km
    Front 100,806km

Tyres usually go before the brakes, so easy life sees both last a long time, boy racer will kill tyres and brakes shortly after.
    The ratio is something like Tyres 60000km : brakes 100000km

I would consider 45,000km as premature.

If you are at metal on metal you sure as hell would notice. The dash light will eventually come on, but the sensor is only on one side, uneven wear could see it delayed.
    And as for rotors, they will need to be done at the same time as the pads, they rarely last much past the 1st set of pads. The design calls for soft metals which gives better braking performance.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Is ‘general use family car’ highway and rural town driving, or is it peak hour work/school runs in a large city?

Both are ‘general family’ but both have vastly different wear consequences on the car.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonr23 View Post
    Is ‘general use family car’ highway and rural town driving, or is it peak hour work/school runs in a large city?

Both are ‘general family’ but both have vastly different wear consequences on the car.
    Yeah good point. But I really meant was not flogged, driven by a responsible mum with no ambition to win a TLGP.
    City living short trips most days, school runs in same suburb, grocery getter, inter suburb expressway 80-90km short trips, and weekend trips to beach 60min at 110km.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    Yeah good point. But I really meant was not flogged, driven by a responsible mum with no ambition to win a TLGP.
    City living short trips most days, school runs in same suburb, grocery getter, inter suburb expressway 80-90km short trips, and weekend trips to beach 60min at 110km.
    Yes if you leave gaps look ahead and anticipate you can brake lightly, still stop and not grind a mil off every time you apply them.

My boss at the bus company preached READ THE ROAD look up ahead and drive accordingly.

Works for me. Part of the reason I have bought an SUV with a higher driving position. Lets you see whats happening up ahead
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast