Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake Pedal too far forward - anyone else have this issue ?

Users Country Flag

Question Brake Pedal too far forward - anyone else have this issue ?

My break Pedal is not exactly the same distance from the front floor as the Accelerator

It feels about 2 inches further forward than the Accelerator

This means that I cannot pivot my right foot (on the heel) from the Accelerator to the Brake

I feel I have to lift my foot (from the knee) when going from the Accelerator to the Brake

Is this normal for the Tiguan as it is starting to annoy me ?

Does anyone know if the Brake pedal distance can be adjusted ?

If you mean the brake pedal is closer to your body, than the accelerator pedal, then yes, it’s normal. Almost all cars are this way.

My guess is to avoid the ‘both pedals at once’ grandpa/grandma incidents that happen all too frequently at servos and supermarkets.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    My break Pedal is not exactly the same distance from the front floor as the Accelerator

It feels about 2 inches further forward than the Accelerator

This means that I cannot pivot my right foot (on the heel) from the Accelerator to the Brake

I feel I have to lift my foot (from the knee) when going from the Accelerator to the Brake

Is this normal for the Tiguan as it is starting to annoy me ?

Does anyone know if the Brake pedal distance can be adjusted ?
    Only cars with accelerator suspended on a stalk from above it are normally like that

What have pervious cars you have driven been like????

The same no doubt. All mine have back for about 20 different models A 26 Dodge i used to drive had them all at same distance

They are electronic now and dont have cables any more so dont need the long travel the old ones had
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    The pedals are designed that way - as mentioned above to reduce the chance of pressing both pedals at the same time.

ELI5: Why is the brake pedal, in a car, higher than the gas pedal? : explainlikeimfive

I have been driving for 20 years and every car i have owned has been like this.

If the fact that you cannot pivot your foot from one pedal to another annoys you, try teaching yourself to use your left foot for braking.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Simonr23 View Post

My guess is to avoid the ‘both pedals at once’ grandpa/grandma incidents that happen all too frequently at servos and supermarkets.
    Let's not forget the 'both pedals at once' young driver incidents that also happen as my front garden hedge (and my wallet) can attest to.
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by VW Convert View Post
    Let's not forget the 'both pedals at once' young driver incidents that also happen as my front garden hedge (and my wallet) can attest to.
    Trade in the Tiguan for a Flinstones vehicle?? That'll get both feet to work!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The pedals are designed that way - as mentioned above to reduce the chance of pressing both pedals at the same time.

ELI5: Why is the brake pedal, in a car, higher than the gas pedal? : explainlikeimfive
    Good link Lucas

Seems people on that thread have the same issue as me

The Brake pedal should be the same distance to the floor as the accelerator (for right foot heel pivot driving)

If I take it into VW, can they adjust the Brake pedal distance ?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    Good link Lucas

Seems people on that thread have the same issue as me

The Brake pedal should be the same distance to the floor as the accelerator (for right foot heel pivot driving)

If I take it into VW, can they adjust the Brake pedal distance ?
    The best place to find out the answer would be................... when they stop laughing

Its not a race car for gods sake

What did you drive previously?????

Seems strange that the V8 drivers do it without problems and pedals are not in the same plane.

Perhaps go to the Holden driving school and find out how they do it.

Will be a bit hard to get them done as hot pedal is about 50mm from floor and brake is at least twice that as it is a physical system to push the master cylinder where as the accelerator is electronic and so doesnt need as much travel .
    put a little shorties block on the hot pedal to bring it up to height of brake and push your seat back a bit

Next post will be cant reach the steering wheel LOL
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 17-05-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    The best place to find out the answer would be................... when they stop laughing

Its not a race car for gods sake

What did you drive previously?????

Seems strange that the V8 drivers do it without problems and pedals are not in the same plane.

Perhaps go to the Holden driving school and find out how they do it.

Will be a bit hard to get them done as hot pedal is about 50mm from floor and brake is at least twice that as it is a physical system to push the master cylinder where as the accelerator is electronic and so doesnt need as much travel .
    put a little shorties block on the hot pedal to bring it up to height of brake and push your seat back a bit

Next post will be cant reach the steering wheel LOL
    I laughed too hard at this.. bravo! Well said

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

My wife has the same issue. Compared to her Ford and our previous Toyota, the VW pedals do feel like they have a greater difference between them.
    Probably the other point is that hey also feel more upright than our previous cars. So instead of your foot being at 45deg, they are closer to 80-90deg from flat
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast