Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake pads

Users Country Flag

Brake pads

I was looking at buying a set of Akabono pads for the Tiguan today, but it looks like they don't make any for the 2nd generation .
    I bought a set of these recently for an old BMW I've got and was pleasantly surprised how good they were.
    I haven't had to wash the wheels for a month and they're still clean. They also feel better than the pads that came out.

Anyway I got onto this site and saw the Ate ceramics got some good comments, but I can't find any of these either.

Has any one with a 2nd generation Tiguan found any dustless pads?

I'm surprised that ATE don't have pads as they are very popular. Quite a few people put them on gen1 Tigs with good success/reviews.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah, I was surprised myself. That's why I posted, thought that maybe I'd just had a man's look and was hoping to hear from someone that had actually fitted the Ate pads or some other pad that they were happy with.

ATE Ceramic 13.0470-2617.2 (front, pad length 175 mm)
    ATE Ceramic 13.0470-7294.2 (rear, pad length 123 mm)

Your Tiguan 132TSI should be fitted with 340 mm discs on the front and 300 mm discs on the rear. The Golf R (and Golf GTI with the 17" brake option) is also on the same setup, except it runs 310 mm discs on the rear (but the same 300 mm rear discs for the standard Golf GTI).

In any case, the pad dimensions should be identical for both cars, which isn't too surprising since both cars are built on the same platform designed with parts sharing in mind (although VW may or may not specify a different pad friction compound).

As for availability in Australia, check with the distributor. HSY parts, if I recall?

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post

Your Tiguan 132TSI should be fitted with 340 mm discs on the front and 300 mm discs on the rear. The Golf R (and Golf GTI with the 17" brake option) is also on the same setup, except it runs 310 mm discs on the rear (but the same 300 mm rear discs for the standard Golf GTI).

In any case, the pad dimensions should be identical for both cars, which isn't too surprising since both cars are built on the same platform designed with parts sharing in mind (although VW may or may not specify a different pad friction compound).

As for availability in Australia, check with the distributor. HSY parts, if I recall?
    Thanks for that information. I'd really like to go with Ate pads rather than some obscure brand I hadn't heard of. My search so far has come up with Centric pads for something like $28 US. and Wagner.
    My Tiguan is a 162 TSI, same disc size as 132TSI???

Quote Originally Posted by GRD View Post
    Thanks for that information. I'd really like to go with Ate pads rather than some obscure brand I hadn't heard of. My search so far has come up with Centric pads for something like $28 US. and Wagner.
    My Tiguan is a 162 TSI, same disc size as 132TSI???
    Yes, that is correct. The pads should also fit your car.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Diesel_vert and GRD
    So this parts
    will fit Tiguan ? I need only front to change, and I am sick of always dirty wheels, this ATE looks like better preforming than VW OEM original but no dust ?
    Where is the best price and place to order locally in Sydney ?
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by cameleon72 View Post
    Hi Diesel_vert and GRD
    So this parts
    will fit Tiguan ? I need only front to change, and I am sick of always dirty wheels, this ATE looks like better preforming than VW OEM original but no dust ?
    Thx
    I've just had a reply from HSY. Do they sell to the public or are they suppliers?

Front pads due into Australia end of this month or early September, about $412.
    Rears in stock about $223

I am a bit surprised with the pricing seeing as I have just bought a set of Akebono premium ceramics, front and back for the BMW for $300 and $80 of that was postage.
    2018 Tiguan 162TSI R

So this parts
    will fit Tiguan ?
    The above parts fit the 110TSI (7-seater with 314mm front discs), 132TSI (340mm front discs) and 162TSI (340mm front discs).

The part numbers are different for the 110TSI (5-seater with 312mm front discs), which has the same setup as the Golf MK7 (288mm or 312mm front discs).

I need only front to change, and I am sick of always dirty wheels, this ATE looks like better preforming than VW OEM original but no dust ?
    The performance of ATE Ceramic pads are similar to that of OE pads, but with lower disc wear and lower brake dust emissions.

Thx
    I have no idea. I suppose you could try visiting Brakethrough Technology - ATE Australia and ring up various brake centres for a quote on supply and fitting, depending on your location.

Quote Originally Posted by GRD View Post
    I've just had a reply from HSY. Do they sell to the public or are they suppliers?

Front pads due into Australia end of this month or early September, about $412.
    Rears in stock about $223

I am a bit surprised with the pricing seeing as I have just bought a set of Akebono premium ceramics, front and back for the BMW for $300 and $80 of that was postage.
    My guess is that such pads are affected by higher raw material costs, due to the substitution of ferrous content in the friction lining with a range of suitable compounds and materials that are usually more expensive comparatively, while still meeting ECE R90 requirements (it is easy to make low dust pads with a low friction rating).

My other guess is that manufacturers assume private car owners who have an interest in exterior maintenance are more likely to shell out for products that meet their needs and thus charge accordingly.

Having said that, I think $400+ is rather expensive for low dust pads with OE performance. That is high-performance/track day/motorsport territory.

I did note however that on one or two of the major European online parts stores, these particular front pads cost around 70% more (!) than ones that fit the 110TSI (also ATE Ceramic) and are currently out of stock.

OK I've managed to find these Ate pads at a much more reasonable price.
    In the description there is no mention of the disc size and there is also reference to the 110 TSI.
    How can you be certain what disc size these are for.
    Also the 2785.2 part of the number is different from previously stated 2617.2 ?????

Are these the right pads?

Front 13.0460 -2785.2 W 160 x 64.5 x 20.4 thick
    Rear 13.0470-4294.2 W 123 x 61.2 X 16.4 thick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brake pads-ate-ceramic-front-2-jpg   Brake pads-ate-ceramic-front-jpg  

Brake pads-ate-rear-2-jpg   Brake pads-ate-rear-jpg  

Last edited by GRD; 25-08-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: errors in original p[ost
    2018 Tiguan 162TSI R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast