Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beach driving - off road modes

Users Country Flag

Beach driving - off road modes

Just wondering if anyone has experience with their tiguan on the beach?

We are beach camping during the next long weekend (Albany). I'm wondering if we will need to park at the carpark and catch a lift with others?

I had a freelander2 a few years back and you just dialled up sand in the off driving mode and you couldn't get it bogged if you tried, but the Tiguan doesn't have a sand mode and I'm not sure what the off road modes actually do. Does the off road mode automatically engage the rear wheels or does it still require slip.

The next thing is if i do get bogged, does anyone know if the recovery points are rated or will i pull the bumpers off? (I've seen some awesome vids of this on youtube)
    Last edited by craig_perth; 14-08-2018 at 12:11 AM.

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn’t take my Tiguan off an unsealed road onto beach sand. Getting bogged is almost certain unless it’s hard packed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    htran, where is the fun in that?

Users Country Flag
    Lol I am getting too old to dig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mechanically, i believe its the same awd system as the Disco sport, but lighter and has wider tyres, the only thing that might letting us down is some electronic wizardry?

the front bumper may also be a bit of a sand scope
    Last edited by craig_perth; 14-08-2018 at 01:04 AM.

Users Country Flag
    I took our 2010 Tig to a soft sandy beach and didn’t get it bogged. Also my friend took his Tig to Fraser Island and was ok. You just have to be more aware of reduced ground clearance, approach and ramp over angle when driving your Tig off road.

Users Country Flag
    The weakest link is going to be your tyres. Take a compressor and drop tyre pressure to about 18 psi, less if your are bogging down. Pump the tyres up again when you leave the soft stuff.

Momentum is crucial (not going flat out). Turn off traction control if you are able. Traction control will cut engine power if you get wheel slip, which will kill momentum. I know on some Tigs the traction control is switchable.

As Transporter says, be mindful that you don't have the ground clearance of a proper 4WD, and approach, departure, and ramp over angles aren't designed for off road. In other words your front might scrap as you approach a rise, scrape as you leave, or strand you with all four wheels off the ground (don't laugh, I've seen it happen).

When you get home wash underneath the car thoroughly. And then do it again. Salt, commonly found at beaches, is a killer.
    2015 Jetta Highline
    2017 Ducati Supersport S

Users Country Flag
    You’d be surprised how capable many SUVs are these days
    ive been out on Stockton in (permanent) AWD Kruger, my sis had her (on demand) AWD RAV4, another mate had a 2007 Outlander, a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Triton Ute. The RAV got stuck once and the Jeep broke down.
    Bottoming out is really the main concern in my opinion

Thanks Team.

Appreciate the feedback.

Users Country Flag

Hi Craig, something to watch out for. If you have low profile tyres, then 18 PSI is only safe where you know you will ONLY be on sand.

If you are going to be driving on any other rough surface, then do not lower your tyre pressure below 25 PSI.

With high profile tyres, 18 PSI is pretty safe on any surface, but low profile tyres can be have the tyre walls damaged and mags can also be damaged if you drive on anything other than sand.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast