Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adaptive cruise control during and after rain

Users Country Flag

Adaptive cruise control during and after rain

Our 2017 Tiguan is near the end of its warranty period and I'd like to ask about others' experience with the adaptive cruise control (ACC) during and after both light and heavy rain.

First, it works for a short period after rain starts, then stops working. Do others experience this too?

Second, after the rain stops, it continues not to work for maybe 10 minutes, then is ready to start again. Is this normal?

Thanks

J Matho

Users Country Flag
    Not my experience with my 2019 Wolfie - works rain (heavy and light) and shine just as intended.

Mine also has issues in heavy rain, did I read somewhere that a heater was to be tried in an effort to reduce or stop the problem? I drive on roads that have a lot of coal trucks on them and the dirt build up will cause the issue as well, the badge then has to be physically cleaned which is a PIA.

Users Country Flag
    I've noticed my front ParkPilot (and ACC presumably) sensors go out in heavy rain - so maybe it's too much rain on the sensors?

On a side-note, i've always been too paranoid to use ACC during wet weather because of hydroplaning.. valid concern?

Users Country Flag
    I have no issues in the rain, but remember watching a “car wow” review on YouTube where the reviewer needed to pull over after driving on snowy British motorway with dirty ice covering the front badge/sensor and turning off the ACC
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I put the question on this forum as the dealer told me that the behaviour is normal. I find that hard to believe because Googling indicates that there isn't much complaint. Your answers tend to confirm this. Thanks.

My problem doesn't relate to a dirty sensor. The problem occurs in both light and heavy rain. However, I've seen elsewhere that the sensor sometimes needs adjustment/re-alignment. Does anyone know what symptoms indicate the need for adjustment?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by J Matho View Post
    I put the question on this forum as the dealer told me that the behaviour is normal. I find that hard to believe because Googling indicates that there isn't much complaint. Your answers tend to confirm this. Thanks.

My problem doesn't relate to a dirty sensor. The problem occurs in both light and heavy rain. However, I've seen elsewhere that the sensor sometimes needs adjustment/re-alignment. Does anyone know what symptoms indicate the need for adjustment?
    Would only need that if it has had a bump in the front More common is getting cameras redone after a broken windscreen
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    I've seen very heavy rain (or more likely a car wash) disable the lane assist, but never ACC
    MY17 Volkswagen Tiguan 162TSI Highline, DAP, Sunroof, Caribbean Blue
    MY13 Volkswagen Golf 103TSI Highline, Night Blue

Users Country Flag
    Was driving around town in torrential rain earlier this year and started to think 'this is getting too much, I'm glad I have a decent bit of tech to help me out or I'm gonna have to slow down'... and then it literally beeped at me and popped up a message saying 'assist systems disabled' (or something to that tune). Ironic. But it was TORRENTIAL. As soon as the weather eased a bit it came back on.
    I had read about this on a UK forum, so wasn't surprised.
    Also happened once before when I exited the M5 tunnel into heavy rain, but only lasted a few minutes.
    My car is always spotless, so dirt on radar lens was not the issue.
    Last edited by spacemannz; 29-06-2020 at 07:55 PM.
    Tiguan Highline 162TSI | Indium Grey | DAP | MY18

Users Country Flag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast