Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Is the 6 speed DSG a wet or dry clutch?

  1. #1

    Is the 6 speed DSG a wet or dry clutch?

    Hey guys

    Wondering if the 6 speed DSG found in the 110kw 1.4T Tiguan is a wet clutch DSG? Fairly sure it is, from what I can find online, but not certain.

    Cheers and happy Friday!
    Mike



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melb
    Posts
    408
    As far as I know, only the 7 speed DSG DQ200 is a dry clutch
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Semaphore, SA
    Posts
    8,683
    6 speed is the DQ250 wet clutch which was also in the Mk6&7 GTI/R. It's not a bad gearbox - certainly a lot more reliable than the DQ200 7 speed dry box.

    2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

    2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build



  4. #4
    Thanks guys!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    157
    Users Country Flag
    IMHO from expirance dealing with all type of dsg trhu various models on audio and VW ,DQ250 is one of the best smothest and most realible transmision VAG ever made.
    It is wet clutch , and as you can see here on forum , there is absolutely no any complain on any Iguan owner 1.4 tsi for this transmision, which is not the case for Dq500 7 speed also wet clutch known as clunky and not so smoth and problematic ( world wide with this dsg type Owners complain and known problem).

    We have dq250 in Audi q3 now since 5 years, and is so smooth and realible even in the city where Dsg has weakness . It give you impression is more as standard auto transmision but not DSG dual clutch but still with all benefit of semi fast dual clutch manual transmission , thats how it smooth and pleasant . Higly recommend Q250!



    Quote Originally Posted by Sequentialist View Post
    Hey guys

    Wondering if the 6 speed DSG found in the 110kw 1.4T Tiguan is a wet clutch DSG? Fairly sure it is, from what I can find online, but not certain.

    Cheers and happy Friday!
    Mike



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by cameleon72; 24-05-2021 at 09:38 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bundanoon NSW
    Posts
    236
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by cameleon72 View Post
    IMHO from expirance dealing with all type of dsg trhu various models on audio and VW ,DQ250 is one of the best smothest and most realible transmision VAG ever made.
    It is wet clutch , and as you can see here on forum , there is absolutely no any complain on any Iguan owner 1.4 tsi for this transmision, which is not the case for Dq500 7 speed also wet clutch known as clunky and not so smoth and problematic ( world wide with this dsg type Owners complain and known problem).

    We have dq250 in Audi q3 now since 5 years, and is so smooth and realible even in the city where Dsg has weakness . It give you impression is more as standard auto transmision but not DSG dual clutch but still with all benefit of semi fast dual clutch manual transmission , thats how it smooth and pleasant . Higly recommend Q250!
    So is the 7 speed DSG used in upcoming Tiguan Elegance and R-line this DQ500? Could some of the concern be related to four
    wheel drive? 6speed DSG on my Passat is excellent. Not so the 7speed DSG on my Golf 6 1.4L

    Trying to make mind up between Tiguan Life (110TSI) and 162TSI (Elegance)
    Comfortable drive is top priority, To point of considering 162 TSI with 110TSI wheels. Dealer says can swap
    Four wheel drive not important but Adaptive chassis control (as on golf) is. Also like 162TSI Sound and vision package.
    MY13 Passat 130TDI Sedan. Autumn Brown Metalic, Desert Beige seats. Sat nav, Rev camera, Dynaudio, 12way adj seats. No ACC Previous Golf 118 TSI with ACC given to my son

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Semaphore, SA
    Posts
    8,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Cossor View Post
    So is the 7 speed DSG used in upcoming Tiguan Elegance and R-line this DQ500? Could some of the concern be related to four
    wheel drive? 6speed DSG on my Passat is excellent. Not so the 7speed DSG on my Golf 6 1.4L

    Trying to make mind up between Tiguan Life (110TSI) and 162TSI (Elegance)
    Comfortable drive is top priority, To point of considering 162 TSI with 110TSI wheels. Dealer says can swap
    Four wheel drive not important but Adaptive chassis control (as on golf) is. Also like 162TSI Sound and vision package.
    7 speed in Tiguan is DQ500.

    These have been pretty bulletproof all through Gen1/1.5 Tiguan almost zero reported issues.

    There was a “bad batch” of these in ~2017 and Cameleon appears to have been the recipient of one of these. There’s also a few others on here with similar experience all with similar build dates so something definitely happened with manufacturing but seems to have been sorted.

    If you can afford the 162TSI then I’d get it over the 110TSI as you really can’t compare the 2 vehicles in terms of performance. If you load up the 110TSI with adults and gear it struggles.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

    2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,614
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    7 speed in Tiguan is DQ500.

    These have been pretty bulletproof all through Gen1/1.5 Tiguan almost zero reported issues.

    There was a “bad batch” of these in ~2017 and Cameleon appears to have been the recipient of one of these. There’s also a few others on here with similar experience all with similar build dates so something definitely happened with manufacturing but seems to have been sorted.
    Apparently quite a few of the DQ500 7 speed DSG failures are because they were underfilled with oil from the factory. Not sure if this issue is restricted to a specific manufacturing timeframe and/or whether it is still an ongoing issue.

    This applies to Tiguan, TTRS, RS3 etc.

    Some of the workshop mechanics who have commented on this topic have recommended having the oil level checked ASAP and additional oil can be added if its found to be low.
    2015 Mk7 GTI Performance
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Semaphore, SA
    Posts
    8,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Apparently quite a few of the DQ500 7 speed DSG failures are because they were underfilled with oil from the factory. Not sure if this issue is restricted to a specific manufacturing timeframe and/or whether it is still an ongoing issue.

    This applies to Tiguan, TTRS, RS3 etc.

    Some of the workshop mechanics who have commented on this topic have recommended having the oil level checked ASAP and additional oil can be added if its found to be low.
    That’s good info… but a little disturbing at the same time.

    Fortunately I’ve had mine serviced and oil changed at 45k so should be all good.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

    2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    157
    Users Country Flag

    Hi Tigger73,
    with al respect to you, but your statement about bulletproof DQ500 is totally wrong and misleading for potential Buyers!, There is not only ''couple DQ500 with problems'' as you noted ! There is ''heaps of affected Tiguan Owners locally'' with failure and problems on dq500 Tiguan ! I would say after my long research and talk with Owners .Only how many ppl contacted me here n Australia asking for help regarding same DQ500 faults on Au Tiguans ,many of this have sold straight cars! It will be more 50% /50% luck factor poker Game with Tiguan DQ500 DSG! All over world Tiguan owners suffer with same transmission problems as find in new Tiguan 132 and 162kw , including Skoda Kodiaq Seat ...
    Tiguan AWD 132, 162kw is nice car design, functionally, practicality , no doubt about that, VW Best Seller! However truth is one of the most unreliable car if come with DQ500! To not even count abnormal early water pump fail, mystery coolant lose/ toping issue ,problem with bad design front brakes, loud knocking sound from struts , and some other things falling as early in first 6 months o use.
    My advice to all new potential Buyers Tiguan if you are not skilled to diagnose and repair your self big problems and issues , or you have big pockets and big nerves ,don't much care about Dealer bul.... child story's and high service /repair cost , than better not buy DQ500 7speed Tiguan 132/162kw , or you will be pulling your hair as I was!.
    That's my honest opinion and this is from someone who really like his Tiguan and own all his life VAG cars
    Last edited by cameleon72; 08-06-2021 at 09:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
| |