Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New grade of oil 508 509

New grade of oil 508 509

I just had the 1st service done (11,000k in 11 1/2 months) and I've been trying to get the dealership to confirm the brand and grade of oil so that I could buy some top up oil to match.

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to the oil as VW's tend to use some between services.

The Tig used oil so much so that it barely visible on the dipstick. But no warnings prior to servicing.

Mine is MY21 147TDI with the DTUA engine that all my research indicates that it requires the new 508 509 0W20 grade oil.

The smallest qty I could purchase of that grade was a VW branded 5L container through the parts department of the same dealership. Searchs of oil brands shows limited brands available AND limited outlets, mostly a special order. Unsurprising given how new the 508 509 grade appears to be.

To say I'm nervous about what they (the dealership) used and the confusion of the 3 consultants in the parts department trying to determine the correct grade required; would be an understatement.

Fortunately I have the VW 5 yr service plan so if they have stuffed up and I have a problem, I'll be pushing it back on the dealership and VW.

Any one have comments or feedback on the oil in the MY20, MY21, and MY22 Tiguans? Please.
    Last edited by BeigeJet; 12-11-2022 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling
    BeigeJet
    White MY23 Tiguan 147 TDI Elegance (mine)
    White MY21 Tiguan 147 TDI Elegance (wife)
    Gone - Wheat Beige MY07 Jetta TDI manual

Users Country Flag
    Look on the crosspiece by the bonnet latch when you open it Mine has the oil rating on a sticker on there right beside the lock Most use 504/507 and the sticker would confirm it.

Incidentally I have had A 2010 Polo , a 2011 Passat TDI and now a Tiguan 162 and a Kamiq 110 and in 12 years the only time Ive topped oil was after a service when the dummy put 1/2 a litre short in it
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 12-11-2022 at 01:52 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Look on the crosspiece by the bonnet latch when you open it Mine has the oil rating on a sticker on there right beside the lock Most use 504/507 and the sticker would confirm it. ]

That does not exist on my Tiguan Refer to the picture below. However the handbook says 509 for diesels with particulate filters

[Incidentally I have had A 2010 Polo , a 2011 Passat TDI and now a Tiguan 162 and a Kamiq 110 and in 12 years the only time Ive topped oil was after a service when the dummy put 1/2 a litre short in it
    That does not exist on my Tiguan Refer to the picture below. However the handbook says 509 for diesels with particulate filters

Your lucky in your experience. This is a our 2nd VW; the 1st was a 2006 Jetta 103TDI that used about 1 1/2 L between services for the first 100,000k then settled down to be about 1/2 L after that.
    New grade of oil 508 509-tig-jpgNew grade of oil 508 509-tig-jpg
    BeigeJet

Users Country Flag
    Penrite look to make a compatible oil for 508 509 0W20, but again 5L ENVIRO+ G4 FE 0W-20 (FULL SYN) | Penrite Oil

Plenty of stock around, by the looks of it.

There product selector has the MY20+ down for the 0W20
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

MIG,

Perhaps you didn't read my post where I have already purchased 5L from a VW dealership

Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    Penrite look to make a compatible oil for 508 509 0W20, but again 5L

Plenty of stock around, by the looks of it.
    There does not seem to be plenty around and you may have missed "mostly a special order" in my post

The Penrite oil is NOT listed as being stocked by any store on their website and a search returns

No stores found
    Please contact Penrite:
    lubetech@penriteoil.com.au
    BeigeJet

Users Country Flag
    It's stocked at Repco, showing 3 stores locally with 15min in-store pickup.

Just wanted to post another option, I can't say much about the new spec and what the dealers are using\know because it's such a new thing.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/oils-flu...-5l/p/A5641143
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Be wary about Penrite oils - a lot of the time they are listed as 'meeting' spec but not actually approved/officially tested.. and in some cases it's actually only for 'outside warranty' use as well.
    Liqui-Moly make a 508 spec oil that is up to spec in 5L bottles. (they also make the new 504/507 0w-30 spec as well which is on my Tig)

Users Country Flag
    Just look on the bottle and make sure it has APPROVED for use with VW..................................
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by jasiano View Post
    Be wary about Penrite oils - a lot of the time they are listed as 'meeting' spec but not actually approved/officially tested.. and in some cases it's actually only for 'outside warranty' use as well.
    The Penrite oil has a VW approval https://penriteoil.com.au/assets/img...viro+_G4FE.pdf

The approval expires August 2023, two years after their submission to VW HO
    BeigeJet

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Just look on the bottle and make sure it has APPROVED for use with VW..................................
    The 5L I purchased surely does given it's a VW product.

Actually it's imported by Viva Energy on behalf of VW Australia who is the distributor (details on the back panel of the container)

New grade of oil 508 509-508-509-jpg
    Last edited by BeigeJet; 14-11-2022 at 01:13 PM.
    BeigeJet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast