Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Tiguan R line transmission delay

Users Country Flag

2021 Tiguan R line transmission delay

Hello everyone.
    2 weeks ago I purchased 2021 Tiguan r line from a vw dealer. I could not have a chance to do the test drive. It was arrived in Australia/Melbourne and I went there to pick up the car. Based on my previous experiences with vw cars and having 2018 passat 2018 r line convinced me to buy Tiguan R line with peace of mind.
    The story started in the same day with the car. I love everything about this car but I have this issue and it kills me.
    When I drive this car (up to D4) I hear clunking sort of noise. I hear that noise first when I accelerate the car and then lift off my foot from the gas pedal. If I put the gear in reverse, the noise gets louder. I booked the dealer that I purchased this car from. They have checked the car. And the result they told me that is ''WE COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING NOT NORMAL. WITH THAT PARTICULAR VW MODEL THAT IS NORMAL".

Can you imagine how frustrating it is to hear that?
    So is there any 2021 Tiguan R line owners here to help or having the same/similar problem?
    Your help highly appreciated guys.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mustafa; 14-07-2021 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Users Country Flag
    I don’t think I get it as bad as you, but I get a noticeable thunk sound on 2nd to 3rd shift before the gearbox/clutches warm up. Does it go away after a while or always there? The Haldex also makes a bit of clatter.

I don’t have experience with any other Haldex and DSG combos so just assumed what I’m hearing is “normal”, but maybe not…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2021 VW Tiguan Allspace Highline 162TSI R-Line (His)
    2018 Ford Escape ST-Line (Hers)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats View Post
    I don’t think I get it as bad as you, but I get a noticeable thunk sound on 2nd to 3rd shift before the gearbox/clutches warm up. Does it go away after a while or always there? The Haldex also makes a bit of clatter.

I don’t have experience with any other Haldex and DSG combos so just assumed what I’m hearing is “normal”, but maybe not…

First of all thanks for your help.
    I have 2018 vw passat r line. I can understand what you mean. I hear the similar things with the passat and can notice it. However, this is believe me not normal.
    Because passat has 206 hp and it is like a beast, I do not have any hesitation to put the gear in sport mode and drive a bit aggressive and get that feeling.
    Unlike passat, with 2021 Tiguan R line I am scared to drive aggressive, thinking might something can happen.

I was told about this issue at the dealer that because everything controlled with computer in this car, between you accelerate and stop accelerating the computer of the car tries to get the command and do whatever is needed. However, there is a delay to register by the computer of the car clearly. So that makes like you are driving sort of old manual car that you hear gear clunk and you feel the hit of a running car.
    You do not hear that noise if you constantly increase your speed.
    Unfortunately, it does not go away. It is always there. You hear the noise and feel the delay/gap more when you put it in reverse. It is exactly an old manual car you put in reverse, it closes the gap and starts pulling the car.
    I also realised that the fuel consumption is also worse. 11.5/100km it was supposed to be 8.5. Like I said I am scared to drive aggressive so I do not use turbo much. Time to time if I need to change like or get ahead of the other at lights but not always. I do the same thing with passat but I did not notice that much of a fuel consumption.

Users Country Flag
    My 2018 162 Rline is pretty 'clattery' too between first and reverse and when I ease off the throttle. There's the occasional gear change thump, especially when super cold (in Sydney terms) and driving up a hill. Has done it since I got it (not new but with 40k on the clock) but hasn't changed.

Users Country Flag
    2018 162 R-Line here too
    Manually changing gears in the first 5mins of driving, the shifts have a very small clunk. Fine if left in D or S
    Also, a little clunky when shifting between D and R - if still slightly rolling when I do it
    I’ve assumed it’s “normal” for DSG
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats View Post

I have driven Tiguan rline 2020 too. It has that sort of noise but does not bother plus you do not feel much.
    However, with mine there is a kind of gap. If you accelerate and lift off your foot and put your foot back to the gas pedal, it feels like you are being hit behind.
    Unfortunately, it does not go away after a while.

I have got 2018 passat and got it second hand. It is a beast. It is such a nice feeling to drive that car. I hoped the Tiguan was the same but unfortunately not. I hear the noise in between when I accelerate and stop accelerating in D1 to D4 but not after D4.

Thanks for your reply and help.
    Have nice rides

Users Country Flag
    Hi
    Mate don't try be maniplulted here or by VW , some ppl are so blind in love with they loving Tiguan .Some ppl just don't want to accept that this Tiguan 4moton version has factory clunking rubbish bug even is VW made by latest DSG tech . After 15 years of DSG, Clunking is worst than Golf V first DSG transition made by VAG . Don't talking about smoothness of shifting ,but clunking what you exactly described in every day , going back forward parking is clunking embracing ! . which you experience in every day city drive. I would never experience on any previous DSG car.
    As you notice as pervious Owner of VW Car ( even used older Passat ,4 motion and DQ500? 7speed ) IS totally different car to drive and fill . With no this rubbish clunking find on Tiguan mk2 .
    No one can convince you something to be normal and ''VW Characteristic'' , if not fill right than is not right ! and this problem should notice any one who ever have owned previously an DSG VAG car !
    That what you notice is just not normal ,especially for new model car in this price range high mid range class !

Hope just finally some group of affected unhappy Tiguan Buyers will be formed here locally and sue VW for selling such defect clunking drive train as new cars to Buyers .

Just don't give up Mustafa .IF you fill this clunking is not acceptable for your new car received , fight for your rights!

Offcourse there is problem similar as yours on many Tiguan sold , not just here locally but is world wide problem , In Europe is obvious more, as Buyers there are more open to investigate ,discus and more technical knowladge and open to share problems without involving passion for favourite brand they like .
    Use some German and Russian forums using Google translate and you will find 1000.... Similar Tiguan clunking DSG story's all coping same problems with clunking as you noticing now. Not just Tiguan are affected. but also Skoda Kodiaq , Qamiq ,some Seat ,Audi ... which sharing same DSG Drive train platform .

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cameleon72 View Post
    Hi
    Mate don't try be maniplulted here or by VW , some ppl are so blind in love with they loving Tiguan .Some ppl just don't want to accept that this Tiguan 4moton version has factory clunking rubbish bug even is VW made by latest DSG tech . After 15 years of DSG, Clunking is worst than Golf V first DSG transition made by VAG . Don't talking about smoothness of shifting ,but clunking what you exactly described in every day , going back forward parking is clunking embracing ! . which you experience in every day city drive. I would never experience on any previous DSG car.
    As you notice as pervious Owner of VW Car ( even used older Passat ,4 motion and DQ500? 7speed ) IS totally different car to drive and fill . With no this rubbish clunking find on Tiguan mk2 .
    No one can convince you something to be normal and ''VW Characteristic'' , if not fill right than is not right ! and this problem should notice any one who ever have owned previously an DSG VAG car !
    That what you notice is just not normal ,especially for new model car in this price range high mid range class !

Hope just finally some group of affected unhappy Tiguan Buyers will be formed here locally and sue VW for selling such defect clunking drive train as new cars to Buyers .

Just don't give up Mustafa .IF you fill this clunking is not acceptable for your new car received , fight for your rights!

Offcourse there is problem similar as yours on many Tiguan sold , not just here locally but is world wide problem , In Europe is obvious more, as Buyers there are more open to investigate ,discus and more technical knowladge and open to share problems without involving passion for favourite brand they like .
    Use some German and Russian forums using Google translate and you will find 1000.... Similar Tiguan clunking DSG story's all coping same problems with clunking as you noticing now. Not just Tiguan are affected. but also Skoda Kodiaq , Qamiq ,some Seat ,Audi ... which sharing same DSG Drive train platform .

Thank you cameleon72.
    I really appreciate your reply.
    I guess it is kind of takata airbag story. It was found out faulty then recalled.
    Check out this article
    Supreme Court dismisses class action against Volkswagen over Takata airbags | CarAdvice

Do you know any German or Russian forums so I can have a look like you advised.
    Thanks

Users Country Flag

Interesting, yeah it is pretty noisey and does sound cheap / broken for what I expect from a vehicle at this price point. Heck even at half the price I’d still expect it to be much more refined than this.

I’ll have to raise it with my dealer as the clunking and clattering on downshifting is super noticeable especially when approaching a stop. So much so it sounds like something just isn’t right with the car.

2021 VW Tiguan Allspace Highline 162TSI R-Line (His)
    2018 Ford Escape ST-Line (Hers)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast