Thread: 2020 Tiguan 132 Comfortline 4 Motion, reverse " drivetrain slap"

Users Country Flag

2020 Tiguan 132 Comfortline 4 Motion, reverse " drivetrain slap"

Hi All, Newbie here and I have noticed in our 4 month old Tiguan that when going in reverse slowly up hill and you modulate the speed, the drive train seems to make really strange noises like it has significant play. To an old boy like me it feels like slap/slack in the drivetrain. Does anyone know if this is a normal issue with AWD reversing? We've never owned an AWD before and I want to check before I hit VW with it. Thanks for any advice. I have also noticed that when moving forward if you lift off going round a corner or such, there is also a small amount of similar play in the drivetrain, but nowhere near as obvious as in reverse.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Hi All, Newbie here and I have noticed in our 4 month old Tiguan that when going in reverse slowly up hill and you modulate the speed, the drive train seems to make really strange noises like it has significant play. To an old boy like me it feels like slap/slack in the drivetrain. Does anyone know if this is a normal issue with AWD reversing? We've never owned an AWD before and I want to check before I hit VW with it. Thanks for any advice. I have also noticed that when moving forward if you lift off going round a corner or such, there is also a small amount of similar play in the drivetrain, but nowhere near as obvious as in reverse.
    Have you got it in ECO mode.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    No. Normal driving mode

Users Country Flag
    Cant say Ive noticed that but with DSG you get them a little bit slow on the uptake sometimes when you go into a slowing situation and then hit the loud pedal again.

Reason being the electronics sense it slowing and so readies the clutches for another downchange.
    Then you boot it the other way and it says Woops didnt expect that and has to swap them over again. Only takes milliseconds but feels longer
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I've had a DSG before on a Focus and know it's little "issues" quite well. This is nothing I have experienced before. If you can imagine reversing up an incline and holding it on the hill with the accelerator. Then release the throttle and it feel like it disengages the drive train and rolls forward. Then accelerate again and it feels like it re engages with quite a sudden shunt. Both the engage and disengage are noisy. You can hear it outside the vehicle easily. It is very difficult to explain.

Users Country Flag
    There are a few threads on noisy gear boxes / haldex units
    Mine is certainly a little noisy sometimes when flicking between fwd/reverse
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    Hi Peter,
    Offcourse there is problem on many Tiguan across world ( including Skoda, Seat all with same DQ500 DSG) with exact similar problem as yours. Regardless what VW dealer try to convince you as'' normal '' it is not normal for any new car to drive as that noise clunking feeing apart or been disconnect experience .As you notice as previous owner of DSG cars same as other affected users with clunking noises on Tiguan new cars, this is not'' typical normal characteristic DSG ''as anyone owning DSG can notice difference between ''characteristic of normal working DSG'' and this clunky rubbish on affected Taguan's .
    Even on first Generation before 15 years ago, as VW Golf 5 DSG never been clunky as on this latest version of 7 speed DQ500 on Tiguan.

Check my thread for fealty DSG and some other Users here, it is all same issue with Drivetrain on Tiguan as you notice and experience now. There is also some videos on YouTube demo showing same issue, I included that as well in my thread.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by cameleon72 View Post
    Hi Peter,
    Check my thread for fealty DSG and some other Users here,
    Might be helpful to link the thread
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Thanks for your help on this. I'm going to hit up VW to officially lodge a complaint. At least that starts things going. Then see what happens. Has anyone out there had this problem and VW actually fixed it?

Thanks