Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 Tiguan 163 Kw service.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Finally got around to doing the Tiguan service.
    I've got a couple of questions regarding the haldex part of the service.

Does anyone know or have a link as to where I can buy just the O rings?

The screen didn't look too good. The black stuff felt like light grease. There did not appear to be any particles that you could feel when you rubbed it between your fingers.
    When I first saw it I thought of emulsion, water and oil blended together.
    As I posted earlier 27,000 Km, 3.5 years since new. Most of the photos I've seen looked more like small particles caught in the screen although a few did look like jelly/ emulsion.

Since the vehicle has had an easy life I'm thinking of pulling the pump on the next service, hence looking to buy O rings only rather than all the bolts that came with the kit.
    I think the bolts are more applicable to cars in the northern hemisphere where they salt the road in winter.

2018 Tiguan 163 Kw service.-tiguan-haldex-jpg
    2018 Tiguan 162TSI R

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GRD View Post
    Finally got around to doing the Tiguan service.
    I've got a couple of questions regarding the haldex part of the service.

Does anyone know or have a link as to where I can buy just the O rings?
    I believe this is what you are looking for: 0CQ598305 - Gen 5 Haldex Pump Repair Kit - VW Golf MK7R & Audi 8V S3/TT/TTS
    – VAGPARTS Australia

Is that your car in the photo? If so, this is exactly what causes the Haldex failures as the screen blocks the oil from being able to pass through then the pumps runs dry essentials and fails.

I bet there are heaps of Tiguans running around that are essentially front wheel drive due to the Haldex failing. If the owner drives gently they are likely to never notice the Haldex isnt working. Happens regularly enough to Golf R's and most of those owners drive more enthusiastically than the average Tiguan owner.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 28-06-2022 at 07:16 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

I've just bought a 2018 Tiguan 162TSI with 26,000 km on the clock. The service history (servicing performed by the VW Dealer that sold the car to the original owner) shows that a Haldex service was done in March 2021. However I'm assuming that it was simply an oil change and not cleaning of the filters.

The car is now due for the 48 month service now and apart from deciding whether to go to the local Euro car mechanic (Stokers in Byron Bay) or to a VW Dealer further afield in Tweed or Lismore, the Haldex issue is my main concern right now.

Any thoughts on how to proceed on the assumption that Haldex filters have never been cleaned?

Users Country Flag
    Cleaning the Haldex filter is not part of the service schedule, so you can be fairly confident that they simply changed the oil.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Cleaning the Haldex filter is not part of the service schedule, so you can be fairly confident that they simply changed the oil.
    On this basis, do you think I should be getting the filters cleaned now? That is, ask my new mechanic to do a Haldex service with this extra step even if the oil was changed last year? It's due for the 48 month / 60K service now.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by infoarts View Post
    On this basis, do you think I should be getting the filters cleaned now? That is, ask my new mechanic to do a Haldex service with this extra step even if the oil was changed last year? It's due for the 48 month / 60K service now.
    I would just for piece of mind. The Haldex oil isnt cheap (about $175 from memory for the oil, o rings and new bolts) but its a small price to pay to know the service has been done correctly. Unfortunately there is just no way to know how clogged up your filter will be, but there are heaps of videos and photos online showing clogged filters at around 30,000km.

Not sure how the Haldex is setup in the newer Tig's, you might be able to remove the pump and clean the filter and only lose a small amount of oil - then it can be topped up? Just suggesting this because according to your info the Haldex oil was changed recently.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I would just for piece of mind. The Haldex oil isnt cheap (about $175 from memory for the oil, o rings and new bolts) but its a small price to pay to know the service has been done correctly.
    Fully agreed. I'm about to do the Haldex on my Passat. It was done 20k ago by VW but I want to check and clean the filter as VW wouldn't have touched it.

Vagparts have the Gen 5 kit back in stock for $140 ($153 delivered) Gen 5 Haldex Service Kit - Volkswagen Golf MK7R Audi 8V S3/TT/TTS/RS3 – VAGPARTS Australia

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by petemac110 View Post
    Fully agreed. I'm about to do the Haldex on my Passat. It was done 20k ago by VW but I want to check and clean the filter as VW wouldn't have touched it.

Vagparts have the Gen 5 kit back in stock for $140 ($153 delivered) Gen 5 Haldex Service Kit - Volkswagen Golf MK7R Audi 8V S3/TT/TTS/RS3 – VAGPARTS Australia
    Thanks, coming up on 30K km, so ordered 1 to do when I hit it.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by infoarts View Post
    I've just bought a 2018 Tiguan 162TSI with 26,000 km on the clock. The service history (servicing performed by the VW Dealer that sold the car to the original owner) shows that a Haldex service was done in March 2021. However I'm assuming that it was simply an oil change and not cleaning of the filters.

The car is now due for the 48 month service now and apart from deciding whether to go to the local Euro car mechanic (Stokers in Byron Bay) or to a VW Dealer further afield in Tweed or Lismore, the Haldex issue is my main concern right now.

Any thoughts on how to proceed on the assumption that Haldex filters have never been cleaned?
    I would go with The local Euro mechanic.
    There is nothing difficult or technically complicated with the 48 km service, even the Haldex bit.
    Ask them about their pricing for this. You can get Haldex Oil and O rings online for a lot less than the $175 or $150 mentioned. The bolts are not required, I think they are included for northern hemisphere where the have a lot of corrosion due to salting roads in winter.
    I didn't actually do my own haldex service, as I had a crook back at the time. I had fully intended to do it so I had all the parts.
    Ended up going to a local mechanic with all the parts, oils and a tutorial on the haldex service, as he had not done one before.
    I was there for the service, that's how I got the photo.
    Cost me under $300 in parts and $135 for labor, he even ran a diagnostic and reset a couple of faults that were in there.
    2018 Tiguan 162TSI R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12