Thread: 2018 Tiguan 132 allspace front brake wear excessive?

Whadjuk, Kwoppa Keppa / Fremantle Western Australia

2018 Tiguan 132 allspace front brake wear excessive?

Hi All,
    Great forum!
    My first post is a question about Tiguan Front brake wear,

I am looking at purchasing a 2018 Allspace 132 ex dealer exec car it has 26,000kms on it I was surprised to see how much front brake disc wear has occurred, a significant ridge is visible and easily felt around the disc periphery,does this sound normal? anyone know the how long discs are lasting on these cars?
    my current Citroen Grand Picasso has similar wear on front after 80000 odd k's

Cheers

sinkas

Users Country Flag
    Depends who has been driving it I prefer to back off and drift up to a stop and get good pad life. A friend drives right up and hits the anchors big time and doesnt slow down for roundabouts and growls his tyres never last and he goes through brake pads

I wonder why
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    We got about 45k out of our first set
    I thought that was quite early for replacements too, but they said the euros are such soft pads (hence the dust) designed to be good brakes without warming up that they don’t last long

My allspace has a noticeable ridge around the front discs. It feels like a mm has been lost.
    I just had a 30kkm service (25kkm actual) and both pad and disc thickness came back as good. This is after I told the service guy to do whatever was needed when I dropped it off.

Users Country Flag
    Pretty normal to be honest. The Euro cars have soft disks and harsh brake pads so although the brakes perform very well, they make a hell of a mess in regards to brake dust and wear both pads and disks out quite quickly.

If the car has been driven more gently then the brakes will last longer, but being a dealer exec car means that every man and his dog would have driven it and no doubt given it a hard time.

One way around it is to change the pads to a ceramic pad like Akebono Euro Ceramic or ATE Ceramic. These pads are not cheap but will last much longer and are much more gentle on the disks therefore you will save money/break even in the long run.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonr23 View Post
    This is after I told the service guy to do whatever was needed when I dropped it off.
    You are brave saying that to a dealership service centre mate. Lucky the car is only young and shouldn't need much.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Whadjuk, Kwoppa Keppa / Fremantle Western Australia
    Thanks for the replies guys,
    seems like it s not unreasonable and the dealer have offered the discount half the cost to replace $700,
    will push a bit more and see if we can make the purchase.

Users Country Flag
    If they have worn the brakes down that far so quick how hard were they pushing the car to need to do that. Something else to consider
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Do you do a lot of braking? Coasting down the same hill each day for work and/or give it some stick in the twistes.

My caris a 1850kg diesel allspace and I brake a bit more often/harder than the average person (hills and more aggressive), but less than in a sporty car. If my brakes make it to 45000km, I’ll feel it was a fair lifespan.

The brakes get a fair hammering in cruise control mode down-hill (though less than Kia’s- they don’t change down gears)