Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 MY19 Wolfsburg towbar

Users Country Flag

2018 MY19 Wolfsburg towbar

Hey guys

this is my first question so be kind…

I want to get a towbar on the tig. I was quoted $1800 fitted by VW or 2000 with the led lights adapter. I was quoted about 1300 by a reputable towbar for aftermarket. But I’m led to believe I then lose the useful in car electronics for towing if I do this. However I have then heard that my obdeleven can turn on the things I need if I do indeed go down the track of aftermarket.

I’m sort of unsure about the questions I should be asking. Or if indeed my obdeleven is simply all I need to make my aftermarket towbar work

Users Country Flag
    I would get one of these which are probably the tidiest one. Wh.at do you want to tow as the TIG is severely limited by its towball weight rapidly lowering the more passengers or luggage you put in the car. You need the correct electric connections and module and OBDeleven cant work miracles if the hardware isnt there

VW Tiguan Towbar - Detachable OEM Westfalia - Australia Tow Bars & Performance store
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I would get one of these which are probably the tidiest one. Wh.at do you want to tow as the TIG is severely limited by its towball weight rapidly lowering the more passengers or luggage you put in the car. You need the correct electric connections and module and OBDeleven cant work miracles if the hardware isnt there

VW Tiguan Towbar - Detachable OEM Westfalia - Australia Tow Bars & Performance store
    Thanks for reply. Yes I did look at them but they look very odd. As for towing, all it will be is things to the tip in a box trailer, camping gear and hopefully soon a jetski

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by TrooperTig View Post
    Thanks for reply. Yes I did look at them but they look very odd. As for towing, all it will be is things to the tip in a box trailer, camping gear and hopefully soon a jetski
    Maybe they do but they are the only one that doesnt require a bumper cut and is invisible when you remove the tongue. I dont need one but wouldnt consider anything else like an HR which leaves a 70mmsq box sticking out through your mangled bumper and doesnt fully work your electrics

Users Country Flag
    I just got a VW one fitted and couldn’t be happier. Yeah sure they cut a tiny little bit from the bumper but it’s way less than I thought and to be honest if you don’t tow all that often just remove the towball hitch thing and you really barely even know you have a towbar visually. Also bonus about factory is all the electronics JUST WORK.
    $2k fitted.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    I just got a VW one fitted and couldn’t be happier. Yeah sure they cut a tiny little bit from the bumper but it’s way less than I thought and to be honest if you don’t tow all that often just remove the towball hitch thing and you really barely even know you have a towbar visually. Also bonus about factory is all the electronics JUST WORK.
    $2k fitted.
    So why do they cut the bumper when it already has a hole for a Westfalia bar already there . A pic of how it looks would be god

Users Country Flag
    Another VW dealer installed towbar user. Like smarty has mentioned and in my opinion, everything just works as it should and I couldn't be happier. They do trim the bar but in all honesty, I don't even notice it or care as I like the finish of the bar.

Those detachable ones look super strange to me and I wouldn't buy it on looks alone. Plus, having the 50mm receiver accessible the way the VW setup comes is a must for me. I'll try and take a few photos later.

Users Country Flag
    Some pics in the first 7 or 8 pages but this one is also pretty good

Tow Bar for the Tiguan
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    So i decided i would go the path of genuine. Had one setup for install. But after looking at the westfalia again I thought i had changed my mind and put it on hold. I rang the westfalia distributor/installer. With the towbar, the wiring kit to work with the ecu, the kick sensor relocation and the extra 13 to 7 pin adapter, im in over 2500. If i get the genuine I can have it installed for about 1800. If i need the led lights adapter from VW at some point its about 200.

I know the westfalia is better looking when not used but 700 is a lot of coin to save

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TrooperTig View Post
    So i decided i would go the path of genuine. Had one setup for install. But after looking at the westfalia again I thought i had changed my mind and put it on hold. I rang the westfalia distributor/installer. With the towbar, the wiring kit to work with the ecu, the kick sensor relocation and the extra 13 to 7 pin adapter, im in over 2500. If i get the genuine I can have it installed for about 1800. If i need the led lights adapter from VW at some point its about 200.

I know the westfalia is better looking when not used but 700 is a lot of coin to save
    I asked when I had another car in getting worked on and they told me it would be about $1800 fitted. this was at head office on the Sunny Coast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast