Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Years In and Main Remote Battery Died This Morning

Users Country Flag

2 Years In and Main Remote Battery Died This Morning

As the subject says - without any warning, my main remote stopped working (flat as a tack without any warning at all in the preceding days) this morning on the Wolfie (Nov 2018 build - January 2019 ownership)

Broke out the spare remote and went to the talented person working at the key cutting/remote fixing booth outside of woolworths at the Inala Civic Centre in Brisbane and it was replaced in 4 minutes for the sum of $15.

It was indicated that the push start button required the remote to be "always on" and drained battery power more so than non push button start.

Interestingly it was further indicated that some vehicle manufacturers/models were quite touchy and alerted to battery replacement with only 10% or so of diminished battery performance.

As a cursory note - make sure you have a spare and perhaps go the next level and proactively have the remote battery replaced if it has reached the two year mark.

Its a 2 minutes job and a $5 cost to replace yourself.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Grugly; 05-03-2021 at 02:52 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Jaycar sell lithium button batteries which should give you more battery life than a standard button battery. I've also heard you can jam a CR2032 into the remote which is a bit bigger. bigger capacity + lithium should make life easier.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneAsylum View Post
    Jaycar sell lithium button batteries which should give you more battery life than a standard button battery. I've also heard you can jam a CR2032 into the remote which is a bit bigger. bigger capacity + lithium should make life easier.
    YOU CANT I TRIED it on SUNDAY

DONT try a 2032 Mine died after 2 years last week and I would have damaged it with a 2032 and the back wouldnt have gone on.

They take a 2025 Lithium and can be bought at COLES for $7 for 2

Button battery sizes work like this First two numbers are diameter and second two are thickness So 2025 is .7 of a mm thinner than a 32
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

[QUOTE=Hillbilly;1326453]YOU CANT I TRIED it on SUNDAY /QUOTE]

Flick the metal part out and pry the plastic lid up with a butter knife

Users Country Flag
    If I remember correctly happened to our Tig around the 2yr mark also. Wife was at work, she called Volkswagen assist and they replaced the batt for free.
    Current: MkVI Golf GTI. Tiguan 162 Highline Pure white, DAP/Rline/Sun.
    Gone: Tiguan 103TDI.

For anyone who discovers this thread when caught out with a dead battery and unable to replace it, you can hold the key on the steering column on the right hand side and it will still start the car.

There is also a key lock for the door under the end of the handle.

Users Country Flag
    [QUOTE=Grugly;1326455]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    YOU CANT I TRIED it on SUNDAY /QUOTE]

Flick the metal part out and pry the plastic lid up with a butter knife

Which metal part and which lid. Sounds really technical if you are using a butter knife

Here is the proper way to do it How to Replace Battery Flip Key Fob VW Tiguan 2 MK2 2018 - YouTube
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

[QUOTE=Hillbilly;1326463]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugly View Post

Which metal part and which lid. Sounds really technical if you are using a butter knife

Here is the proper way to do it How to Replace Battery Flip Key Fob VW Tiguan 2 MK2 2018 - YouTube
    2 Years In and Main Remote Battery Died This Morning

Super technical. I was going to offer a butter knife in the VW forums as an official part and charge $100 for it. Could of made a motza!

Users Country Flag

Both mine dies around two years - the one I used everyday, as well as the one in the sideboard cupboard inside which had been only ever used once to memory my wife's settings.Used the trick on the steering whell housing a couple times before replacing the battery
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast