Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 162TSI R-Line Minor Mods

Users Country Flag

162TSI R-Line Minor Mods

So, after doing just about all the tinkering I can with my OBD11 I have finally decided to do some hardware mods. Since this is my daily driver and work car I didn't want to go over the top so I decided to find some minor mods that shouldn't have any effect on the warranty but hopefully make at least some difference.

I looked at the option of a full intake but after having one on my old Golf R I found it a bit too loud for a daily driver. Instead I have ordered the following items:

CTS High Flow Turbo Inlet Pipe:
    162TSI R-Line Minor Mods-829544_x800-jpg

CTS Turbo Muffler Delete:
    162TSI R-Line Minor Mods-805508_x800-jpg

ECS Silicone Turbo Inlet Hose:
    162TSI R-Line Minor Mods-975541_x800-jpg

I have these on order from ECS Tuning which I should hopefully get in the next week. These were all cheap enough (especially since ECS were having a sale) and should be nice and straight forward for me to install myself. Once they turn up I will update the post with install details as well as how I find them.

The other thing I bought was a SPULEN Dog Bone Engine Mount:

162TSI R-Line Minor Mods-se-70120-1-jpg

I stumbled someone selling one of these for a MK7 Golf GTI locally on Trade Me but didn't know anything about them. After doing a bit of research (firstly confirming that the MK7 Golf GTI version fits the Tiguan) I discovered that these apparently help with improving acceleration and throttle response ,I thought it couldn't be a bad thing for the Tig. I did read that some of these can cause some severe vibrations in the car but this one (their Street version) seemed to be one of the least susceptible to this. Figured if I didn't like it I could always remove it and at only $50 not a big loss.

Since this was coming locally it has arrived already:

162TSI R-Line Minor Mods-20180602_021020700_ios-jpg

162TSI R-Line Minor Mods-20180602_023921547_ios-jpg

162TSI R-Line Minor Mods-20180602_023929679_ios-jpg

Didn't get a chance to install this today but will do so tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
    Current Ride: 2019 CUPRA Ateca in Energy Blue with Bucket Seats

Users Country Flag
    I had stiffer engine mounts in my Megane 225 and although they increased vibration I loved them coz the throttle response was better, and they didn’t fail every 50k kms like the factory mounts.

Ben

Current
    2015 Polo GTI manual
    2018 Golf GTI Original manual

Previous
    2014 Polo GTI DSG
    2013 Golf GTI DSG
    2006 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup manual
    2006 Golf GTI manual
    2005 Golf 2.0 TSI manual
    2001 Astra SRi manual
    2000 Pulsar SSS manual
    1999 Astra CD auto
    1998 Pulsar SLX auto
    1991 Pulsar GL manual
    1981 Subaru Leone auto
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

162TSI R-Line Minor Mods

So I installed the Dog Mount this morning, was a pretty simple install the longest part was jacking up the car and getting it on the axle stands.

Once the car was up I just slid under the front end and here is a shot of the factory mount:

Took a bit of brute force to get the factory bolt undone which was a little awkward as I didn’t have a lot of room under the car.

Once the bolt was out the SPULEN Mount slipped in pretty easily. The skinnier front prongs seem to catch a little when trying to slide it in, I just had to give it a bit of a wobble while pushing to line it up correctly.

My SPULEN came with a smaller washer as well as the large flat washer however all the instructions I saw online didn’t have this washer. At this stage I have left this off, I might email SPULEN to find out if this is needed and what difference it would make.

Doing up the new bolt was obviously straightforward just a little awkward again tightening it up to the recommended 130Nm due to space.

Here is what the new mount looks like installed:

I took it for a quick test drive but couldn’t do too much as I had my son in the back. Definitely noticed some vibration when I first started the car but then that seemed to go away after a bit and then I didn’t notice much at all when idling.

There is definitely a difference with the acceleration now, the lag seemed to be much less when in normal drive mode and seems much more responsive. When I put it in sports mode taking off from stationary was almost lethal, it was so quick to respond and much more like my old Golf R.

There is definitely some vibration when driving but nothing too bad. What I found was it seems to resonate the engine vibrations so you actually get more engine noise inside which I kind of like. When I got the Tig I found it really quiet inside and struggled to hear the revs of the engine, I always drove my Golf R in manual mode with the paddles but struggled with the Tig as I couldn’t hear when to change.

In reverse you definitely feel more vibration, which I read is common with these.

I did read that these take a few 100kms to settle in properly and will quieten so will see if anything changes over the next few weeks/months and will keep you posted.

I will take this for a proper drive and test it more either tomorrow or Tuesday with no one else in the car and let you know how it goes and how I find it.

So far I would have to say that if you are looking to improve the accelerator response on your Tiguan then this is definitely a worthwhile upgrade considering how cheap and easy it was to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NZ_GolfR; 03-06-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the review. I had a dog bone mount on my Tig Version 1, and it vibrated like crazy had to take it off. Good to hear the one you installed is not adding much NVH

Users Country Flag
    Curious - how does an engine mount change throttle response?

Quote Originally Posted by adrianb View Post
    Curious - how does an engine mount change throttle response?
    It isn't an engine mount, it is technically called a Pendulum Mount and is is responsible for restricting and absorbing torque transfer between engine and transmission. I didn't know about this at all until I stumbled across this one for sale and did some reading about what it is for.

I found this article gives a good description of the Mount and how the inserts help: https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/blog/what-is-a-dogbone-mount/

Thought I should give everyone a bit of an update on the Dog Bone Mount after running it for the past few days and done about ~200km with it now.

I have to say that overall I am really impressed with it, especially for the price. It seems to have settled in well and when cruising around town and in normal traffic you wouldn't notice any difference, there is basically no vibrations.

When you put your foot down however the engine vibrations that come through into the cabin seems to more enhance the sound you normally get from the engine/exhaust to give it a bit more of a throaty, sporty sound. It isn't an annoying vibration that makes everything in the car rattle, you can feel it a little through the steering wheel and in the seat but that is about it. In reverse you notice it more, it idles a bit rougher and you have to give it a bit more gas to get it going.

I took the car out late one evening and did some test runs on and off the motorway to see how it went. Along with the sound the shifts were much smoother, especially in Sports and Manual mode. Definitely gave the impression of improved acceleration, not sure if that is just hopefully thinking but if it is changing slightly quicker then it has got to help.

I personally find that by adding this mount it makes the car feel more like my old Golf R. I had wondered if VW intentionally put in a softer mount system in the Tiguan than in the Golf GTI/R to make it more comfortable but less sporty feeling. That might explain why when a lot of people upgraded this in the GTI or R they find it too harsh for a daily driver yet with the Tiguan I found it actually enhances the car.

One thing I haven't tested yet is to see if it has made any improvement with wheel hopping. When I first got the Tiguan I tried pushing it hard around a corner than the Golf R would normally step the back out a little and drift slightly only to be surprised by the horrible wheel hopping the Tiguan produced.

Unfortunately the parts I have ordered from ECS have been delayed as they are still waiting for the CTS Muffler Delete to arrive from their supplier. At this stage my order should be shipped on the 11th so will update when these come in.

Users Country Flag
    Don't do a rear muffler delete, the drone and vibrations will annoy you.. Consider replacing the muffler with a good brand muffler.. Don make the mistake I did by installing a check muffler, 95% negative effects.

Quote Originally Posted by INASNT View Post
    Don't do a rear muffler delete, the drone and vibrations will annoy you.. Consider replacing the muffler with a good brand muffler.. Don make the mistake I did by installing a check muffler, 95% negative effects.
    I’m not doing a full rear muffler delete, just a Turbo Muffler Delete which is this:

CTS - CTSHW0199 - Turbo Muffler Delete

I saw your post about changing the rear muffler, I had been keen to do something on mine but after reading about your experience I will leave it for now, at least until there is a decent proper aftermarket one out.

I am seriously considering removing the centre resonator now though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

If your getting a downpipe then don't waste your time as it gets replaced anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast