Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 162TSI R-Line Minor Mods

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Look what turned up yesterday:

Me being impatient decided to install them all at 11:00 last night. Was generally pretty easy, will do a proper write up on it yesterday and well as my impression after I take the car for a drive today (was too late last night by the time I finished).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Ride: 2019 CUPRA Ateca in Energy Blue with Bucket Seats

Users Country Flag
    Hi NZ_GOLFR, I’ve got those parts on mine. How do you find the drive? I found removing the snow grate also increases the induction sound.

Users Country Flag
    Reviews of the turbo muffler saw it does nothing, interesting to hear if you notice anything. ECS seems to be the only one making the turbo inlet hose?

I removed my snow grate yesterday, did not make a noticeable noise increase, but throttle response seems a little better...could just be my mind playing tricks on me...

Quote Originally Posted by INASNT View Post
    Reviews of the turbo muffler saw it does nothing, interesting to hear if you notice anything. ECS seems to be the only one making the turbo inlet hose?

I removed my snow grate yesterday, did not make a noticeable noise increase, but throttle response seems a little better...could just be my mind playing tricks on me...
    I joined the snow grate delete club a few weeks ago, agree the throttle seems a tad more responsive and I personally think there has been slight increase in the intake noise but my Tig is stock standard with no tunes (and this was with all the windows down and sunroof open)

So have had a few days normal driving now with all these upgrades installed and have to say, overall I’m pretty happy.

Install was incredibly straightforward and really easy to do. I think it was all much easier to do than in the Golf (especially the Turbo Muffler Delete) as there is much more room in the engine bay. The only annoying thing is these are higher so spent most of my time up on my toes, over extending my knees leaning on the front bumper and front guard reaching everything (I’m 6ft so not short).

The install took me about an hour but I didn’t start until after 11pm at night so was doing it under my carport lights along with a torch and was fluffing around a fair bit. If I had waited and done it during the day would have been much quicker. Also, I forgot to swap the O ring over on the Turbo Inlet Pipe and didn’t realise until I was packing everything up so had to pull this off again to put it on.

The hardest part of all the install was taking off and re-installing the short silicone hose for the Turbo Muffler Delete. It was a bit fiddly especially trying to re-attach the hose but might have been easier if the light was better.

The ESC Inlet Hose fitted well and looks miles better than the factory plastic one. It was cheaper than the CTS one and I thought looked better in the gloss black, very similar to the Racingline one but half the price of that one.

I had already removed the snow guard a few days ago after reading about that (we don’t get much snow here in Auckland!!). Have to say with that and these upgrades I haven’t noticed much difference in the noise from the turbo, I still can’t hear much even with the windows down. I had been hesitant about doing a full intake with this as I found the one in my old Golf R, while sounded great, was sometimes a bit loud and annoying for a daily driver but now I am considering it especially if I can find one at the right price.

Apart from the lack of noise, I definitely find that with all the small changes has definitely made an improvement to the overall driving of the car. The throttle response is much better and I have a much better feel for the engine. I can now enjoy driving it in manual mode where I originally struggled without watching the rev counter all the time. Gear changes also seem a lot smoother as well in standard drive mode as well as manual and sport mode.

Everything except the Dogbone mount came from ECS in the US and I am really happy with their service. There was a bit of a delay in them getting one of the parts in from their supplier but once that turned up they shipped it on Saturday NZ Time and I received it Tuesday morning, our local couriers often can’t even deliver something within the country that quick!!

I don’t know the exact cost of all the parts yet, I ordered a couple extra parts to sell as it cut down the freight cost per item. Unfortunately customs got hold of it so I had to pay GST and duty charge, GST isn’t an issue as I can claim that back through my business since its my company car, just have to work out the converted NZ price for each item and divide the duty charge across them all to get the final price. Even with the extra cost I definitely think they were worth it (still should be cheaper than sourcing locally) as I’m re-enjoying the car again. Plus I like knowing mine is slightly different to all the other R Lines I keep seeing on the road here now.

Next step might have to bite the bullet and get a full tune!

Users Country Flag
    Great work! Yes i think it’s time for a tune. You have done all the turbo breathing mods except for the downpipe. Think about whether you want a stage 1 tune only or whether you go straight to stage 2 with a downpipe. Exciting.....do you have any custom tuners or you thinking APR?

Thanks for the write up NZ_GolfR, appreciate the effort!

The ECS inlet hose was it this one? - ECS - 010944ECS01 - Silicone Turbo Inlet Hose

Was chatting with a local APR tuner today and running through options. He mentioned modding the air inlet duct with a dremel to open up the passenger side, where it's blocked and close the side from the engine bay. Asked him about water getting in, reckons in 5 years of doing it, they'd never seen a problem in their workshop. There does seem to be a bit of conjecture on the net about it, you can buy the duct pre-done so it can't all be bad.

He also mentioned the turbo muffler delete wasn't a measurable increase on a dyno in his experience, but seemed better noise wise and the Turbo spooling up a bit better.

Maybe time for that tune
    Last edited by TheTig; 15-06-2018 at 11:10 PM.
    MY17 Tiguan 162 Highline | DAP | Rline | Pano Sunroof | Pure White
    Stage 2.5 - APR DP, APR Turbo inlet, Muffler delete, IS38 Turbo, APR tune

MY18 Tiguan 162 Highline AllSpace | Sound & Vision | Sunroof | Blue Silk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Tiggy View Post
    Great work! Yes i think it’s time for a tune. You have done all the turbo breathing mods except for the downpipe. Think about whether you want a stage 1 tune only or whether you go straight to stage 2 with a downpipe. Exciting.....do you have any custom tuners or you thinking APR?
    I will probably wait a while before doing the tune, closer to the 3 year mark. I have a guy here that did the Unitronic tune on my old Golf, they don’t have a tune for the Tiguan yet and don’t know if the GTI tune would work, but he can also do custom tunes as well. APR is quite expensive over here, I got the Unitronic Stage 1+ and DSG tune for less than just the APR Stage 1 tune so at this stage would probably stay away from APR.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTig View Post
    Thanks for the write up NZ_GolfR, appreciate the effort!

The ECS inlet hose was it this one? - ECS - 010944ECS01 - Silicone Turbo Inlet Hose

Was chatting with a local APR tuner today and running through options. He mentioned modding the air inlet duct with a dremel to open up the passenger side, where it's blocked and close the side from the engine bay. Asked him about water getting in, reckons in 5 years of doing it, they'd never seen a problem in their workshop. There does seem to be a bit of conjecture on the net about it, you can buy the duct pre-done so it can't all be bad.

He also mentioned the turbo muffler delete wasn't a measurable increase on a dyno in his experience, but seemed better noise wise and the Turbo spooling up a bit better.

Maybe time for that tune
    Yeah, that is the one even though on their website it says it doesn’t fit when you select the Tiguan MQB from the car list. On their site they seem to have the Tiguan as having the 2.0L engine from the older B7 Passat and the intake pipe runs around the back of the engine and the turbo inlet is on the back left side of the engine, don’t know if this is to to with the US spec Tiguans being different. I ordered this one based on the fact it fits the Mk7 Golf R and GTI and had no problems installing it.

I have seen the info on modding the air inlet duct, was probably going to do that but was hoping to find a cheap on at a wreckers first so I can do a proper job on that one then swap it over. I don’t see there being any issues with water, the inlet feeds air into the bottom half of the intake box and then draws air up and through the filter. Any water that gets in will just drop to the bottom of the airbox and the drain out through the drains that are built into the box. As you said, there are aftermarket ones that have this all open so if there were any issues they would stop selling them. I would probably leave the left side open so that it can still feed some air into the engine.

I was under no illusions that I would get any measurable power improvements by doing these mods, I was mainly aiming for better throttle response and just better driving feel. That and the fact that I just can’t help tinkering 162TSI R-Line Minor Mods

Cheers, thanks for confirming.

Have ordered the same one and the CTS turbo inlet pipe, also have a BMC filter on its way, reckon I'll do the air intake mod as well.

Had the APR stage 1 tune installed yesterday. Thought I'd take advantage of the 30 day money back guarantee to try it out and take advantage if not happy with it. Otherwise plan B was a custom tune.

Wow, it totally brings the car to life

Power comes on strong from around 2500-3000rpm.

Totally understand the tinkering urge, has got me as well.
    MY17 Tiguan 162 Highline | DAP | Rline | Pano Sunroof | Pure White
    Stage 2.5 - APR DP, APR Turbo inlet, Muffler delete, IS38 Turbo, APR tune

MY18 Tiguan 162 Highline AllSpace | Sound & Vision | Sunroof | Blue Silk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12