Thread: Windscreen replacement Australian Autoglass vs OEM quality

Users Country Flag

Windscreen replacement Australian Autoglass vs OEM quality

I had an unfortunate windscreen crack couple days ago, but I have no excess on windscreen with Allianz fortunately. Obriens did the replacement but they used an aftermarket one from Australian Autoglass (AA) even though I can actually get a genuine one. Contacted Allianz which approved me to get it replaced again with OEM.

Not sure about the quality of AA (it is acoustic and tinted) vs OEM. Quick google search mentioned AA is decent and I should only be aware if I get XYG from Obriens.

I do noticed the adaptive cruise seems to behave slower. On assistance menu, you can see the car symbol in front of you. When a car moved to my lane, the car symbol does not appear as fast and also it doesn't pick up cars on my left & right lane like it used too.

Current: MY16 132TSI | Luxury | R-Line
    MY14 C250 W205 | Command | Vision | Exclusive | Seat Comfort
    MY13 A200 W176 | Command | Vision | Exclusive | Seat Comfort

Users Country Flag
    Get a factory one and be sure
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Always OEM if your insurance company allows it.

O'Briens put some cheap junk in my van that's all wavy. That's not taking into account the damage they caused doing the job, which they naturally denied.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Non OEM is rarely a perfect fit along the edges
    MY14 MK VII GTI | Pure White | Manual | Bi-Xenons (his)
    MY19 B8 Passat 206TSI wagon | Manganese Grey (hers)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rave75 View Post
    I had an unfortunate windscreen crack couple days ago, but I have no excess on windscreen with Allianz fortunately. Obriens did the replacement but they used an aftermarket one from Australian Autoglass (AA) even though I can actually get a genuine one. Contacted Allianz which approved me to get it replaced again with OEM.

Not sure about the quality of AA (it is acoustic and tinted) vs OEM. Quick google search mentioned AA is decent and I should only be aware if I get XYG from Obriens.

I do noticed the adaptive cruise seems to behave slower. On assistance menu, you can see the car symbol in front of you. When a car moved to my lane, the car symbol does not appear as fast and also it doesn't pick up cars on my left & right lane like it used too.
    A lot of this could be down to the Camera Calibration post replacement, not the actual screen.
    Was your Passat taken to VW to conduct this or did O'Briens do the calibration "in house"?

I would be interested to know if you have the Genuine VW Windscreen Part Number and/or the Part Number of the Australian Autoglass Screen.

I personally (if I ever had to have a replacement screen) would love to replace mine with a "Heated Front Climate Windscreen".
    Not so much to activate the heated side of things, more so for the thin layer of electrically conductive silver inside the laminated glass. That thin layer of silver, while invisible to occupants, acts as a passive heat shield, reducing the amount of heat that enters the cabin when the sun is shining. Volkswagen believes it can reduce the interior temperature by 15 degrees more than traditional glass.

I had a similar windscreen on an Opel Insignia Select Sports Tourer that I owned back in 2012 (when Opel came to Australia).
    It worked a treat!!!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Great idea.
    Is this Heated Front Climate windscreen available on all models as an option?
    I'd like to add it to the MkV TDI's next screen, which is due because of some vinyl album lines appearing and general chipping with age.
    MY09 Golf Candy White 2.0 TDI Pacific
    MY95 Golf III TDI

Users Country Flag
    Last time i got a non oem windscreen my rain sensor worked awful afterwards.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Always OEM if your insurance company allows it.

O'Briens put some cheap junk in my van that's all wavy. That's not taking into account the damage they caused doing the job, which they naturally denied.
    I had the exact same issue with an O'briens supplied windscreen a few years back with my Mk6 GTI. The windscreen they provided was wavy and you could see it, feel it and the wipers would jump. The new windscreen also leaked so i took it back and they replaced it thankfully (same brand glass but the new one was much better).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler