Thread: Water Leak B8 Wagon

Users Country Flag

Water Leak B8 Wagon

Hello Everyone,

I have a VW Passat B8 R Line Wagon with sunroof (2015).
    It has started leaking around passenger floor well after heavy rain.

What I have done so far.

Cleaned track where sunroof glass moves backward / forward
    Cleaned all rubbers seals
    Removed all the leaves under hood which
    Lifted up the black plastic cowling that is just below windscreen & covers wiper blade motor and removed more leaves

After more rain yesterday, i can see water on side plastic housing in side footwell (under glove box)

What do you think is best course to diagnose where leak is coming from?

David

Users Country Flag
    Clean the drain pipes
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thank you for the advice.
    I cant find any clear instructions as to how to clean then - not mentioned anywhere in user manual.
    Most of what I can find online is for older model VW's.
    Any suggestions where I could find instructions?
    Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DavBo View Post
    Thank you for the advice.
    I cant find any clear instructions as to how to clean then - not mentioned anywhere in user manual.
    Most of what I can find online is for older model VW's.
    Any suggestions where I could find instructions?
    Thanks.
    Sorry cant help but posted as is the usual reason and a bit of very flexible wire or plastic down them seems to fix it.They are normally in the rear pillars and the front A pillars just in front of the doors and if they block they leak into the car. Have got all Passat manuals except the one about them

Would never have a sunroof for that very reason

Thanks for your help.
    As soon as I figure it out, i will post for all members. I am sure its' a common problem.

Got my car fixed today as I could not figure out how to fix it
    I took it to a local Auto Electrician who sees these problems every day in VW / Audi cars, as the water that collects can affect the electronics - as the water runs right past the fuse box and electricals on passenger side. In every other car I owned the fuse box has been next to driver steering wheel, however in the Passat its behind the glove box!
    Anyhow the build up was significant and water had been collecting between the roof lining & roof, as there no-where for water to run.

My car is parked outside under a big old tree, and hence why there must have been so much build up.

Needless to say, Elias @ Sydney Hi-tech in Croydon Sydney was awesome. He cleared the drain holes and did a superb job of explaining to me what they did and how they solved this problem. Highly Recommend him.

As much as I love that car, the drainage system is stupid design for the average person to a) know that you have to keep drain holes clean b) work out how to clean them. Never had any problems with the Subaru's i owned previously over a much longer period of time.

If you have a passat with a sunroof, check the holes are clear - I have attached a photo

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DavBo View Post
    Got my car fixed today as I could not figure out how to fix it
    I took it to a local Auto Electrician who sees these problems every day in VW / Audi cars, as the water that collects can affect the electronics - as the water runs right past the fuse box and electricals on passenger side. In every other car I owned the fuse box has been next to driver steering wheel, however in the Passat its behind the glove box!
    Anyhow the build up was significant and water had been collecting between the roof lining & roof, as there no-where for water to run.

My car is parked outside under a big old tree, and hence why there must have been so much build up.

Needless to say, Elias @ Sydney Hi-tech in Croydon Sydney was awesome. He cleared the drain holes and did a superb job of explaining to me what they did and how they solved this problem. Highly Recommend him.

As much as I love that car, the drainage system is stupid design for the average person to a) know that you have to keep drain holes clean b) work out how to clean them. Never had any problems with the Subaru's i owned previously over a much longer period of time.

If you have a passat with a sunroof, check the holes are clear - I have attached a photo
    No photo You have to go down to advanced and attachments and browse for the photo and upload it from there

How did your Subaru drain from the roof I suspect it was a similar situation. Suggest you park elsewhere which would go more than halfway to alleviating the problem

Users Country Flag

I had the same problem in my B8 wagon,I got mine fixed under warranty,after much jumpimg up and down.
    I lost the car for 3 days while they fixed it.They had to order parts from Germany....??
    Mine was a back leak,every tim I parked on hill in the rain....it leaked.
    Please show your pictures
    Steve