I have a 2016 with the following screen
    Want to upgrade my screen-image1-jpg
    and want to update it to either this
    Want to upgrade my screen-image2-jpg
    or this
    Want to upgrade my screen-image3-jpg
    What do I need to purchase or do?

Users Country Flag
    I have an MY17 Passat and just upgraded my screen to the second one you pictured (8 inch). The new screen model was 5G6 9191 605B. This was a straight swap for me and needed a new surround (from Aliexpress). The only mod I had to do was trim a lug on one of the connectors (the round one). I didn't need to upgrade the controller unit in the glovebox or do any coding. My controller unit is a 3G0035045D and the previous screen was 8" also, just the older style.

The third picture looks like it's a newer 9.2" screen and needs the glovebox unit upgraded too. It's a pricey exercise = $2K++ and in my view wasn't worth the cost.

There's a good Facebook group around MIB upgrades too - Log in to Facebook

Just do your research first as there seem to be quite a few variants, so your set up may be different to mine.
    Last edited by mivarpet; 19-09-2021 at 11:59 AM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the reply. Considering the cost of the 9.2" screen I to will just go with the 8" screen. Was your previous screen the same as mine?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloanie View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Considering the cost of the 9.2" screen I to will just go with the 8" screen. Was your previous screen the same as mine?
    Yes - mine was an 8" Discover Pro & appears to be the same display as yours. Check your device versions in the System Information menus. The part number on the back of the old screen is 5G0 919 606.
    Last edited by mivarpet; 20-09-2021 at 03:20 PM.
    MY17 Passat 206TSI R-Line Sedan

Users Country Flag
    Stupid question: i have same like on first picture. What would be difference between other two. So far, i happy with mine. Just trying to justify cost and time invested into new one.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    2014 Passat Wagon, TDI, blue-motion technology, ComfortPower front seats, Adaptive Damping Control, Premium Sound System, Power Tailgate, Sports pack

Users Country Flag
    As a user that upgraded from your unit to the MIB 2.5 9.2" unit, things to keep your eyes out if youre going to a wreckers yard, the screens are commonly known to have a vertical line fault.

Aside from that, i ended up getting a screen second hand for like $1000 from a wrecking yard, then i had an ODIS dongle lying around from another project and got someone from europe to activate all the FEC's and disarm the component protection for like $150. Total expense was about $1200 give or take.

Reviews of the 9.2 coming from the original Discover pro....
    - Not a fan losing the knob, well, technically my missus, she finds it annoying using the touch volume, im the one often having to change it via the steering wheel.
    - no short cut button to app connect, this is a pretty big one which is annoying
    - refresh unit did feel allot more smoother and snappier
    - bigger screen = better....? Except its glossy, so finger prints, and glare if the sun gets a good angle.

Would i do it....? eh, 5050, mainly if you can live with the changed buttons to touch based, yeah its a nice upgrade, otherwise, keep your current screen.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for nice update and explanation.
    I appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    2014 Passat Wagon, TDI, blue-motion technology, ComfortPower front seats, Adaptive Damping Control, Premium Sound System, Power Tailgate, Sports pack

Users Country Flag
    I recently had a rental car that had the 5GS 919 605 B head unit. Screen is more crisp and brighter so i’m thinking of fitting one to my February 2017 built Passat that has the 8 inch discovery pro.

I see that there are 2 versions ‘605 and ‘605 B. What’s the difference? Also the rental car had wireless carplay. Is wireless carplay built into these heads or is it the main unit that supports it in newer cars?

Users Country Flag

Hi mate,
    My son has a 2017 GTI & he replaced his screen with the screen in the middle pic then decided to go for the screen in the bottom pic, he has an as new screen as in your middle pic for sale now I think he wants $850 for it with everything needed to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanie View Post
    I have a 2016 with the following screen
    Want to upgrade my screen-image1-jpg
    and want to update it to either this
    Want to upgrade my screen-image2-jpg
    or this
    Want to upgrade my screen-image3-jpg
    What do I need to purchase or do?