Thread: VW Rattle - coming from Rearview Mirror Assembly

Users Country Flag

VW Rattle - coming from Rearview Mirror Assembly

Getting a really annoying rattle on fairly badly paved roads at speeds of 80km/hr and faster. It is definitely coming from the rearview mirror assembly on my 2016 VW Passat.
    I can't seem to find any youtube videos on how to disassemble this component (and whether or not it's something I should do, or hand off to someone who knows what they are doing!) to see what sound deadening I can add to reduce the squeaks..
    Anyone done this? And know the steps on how to safely disassemble and reassemble..? And recommended methods on how to solve? Presumably happens on Golfs/Tiguans etc too ?

Users Country Flag
    Might be worth checking if yours looks the same as the one in the video.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Lucas_R,

Seems to have been from the rear view mirror itself. The dealership fixed it, while in for a service.

I didnt notice a button on the back of the rear view mirror itself, on the passenger side, but that seems to have been rattling. I never asked them though what that button was for. I presume it's maybe the Auto Dimming switch? Anyone know?

Users Country Flag

Are you sure its not your teeth at that speed on bad roads. As the lane assist camera is in there i wouldnt be upsetting that as last time I had a screen done in a Passat they had to realign the camera and was about a $300 cost.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan