Thread: Upper Cylinder Service / Throttle Body Service on 132 TSI Passat B8

Users Country Flag

Upper Cylinder Service / Throttle Body Service on 132 TSI Passat B8

Hi,

I have dropped my car (2017 132 tsi comfortline Passat) off for its third annual service with 30k on the odometer at VW dealer.

The dealer rang me back suggesting that in addition to the normal service, they are recommending a "upper cylinder service", otherwise known as a "throttle body service" for $108 inclusive of labour and parts.

They claimed that this was preventative maintenance and there was no specific reason why my car needed it.

I quickly googled and I read that on some cars with a rough idle it might make sense to clean carbon build up. But I have also read that "port" injection engines require it less than "direct" injection engines.

Are our engines port injected? Do we require this service or not? Has carbon build up been an issue for anybody? Please enlighten me as I clearly don't have a clue!

I politely declined the offer and suggested that I will look into it for its next service.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by blackgrade View Post
    Hi,

I have dropped my car (2017 132 tsi comfortline Passat) off for its third annual service with 30k on the odometer at VW dealer.

The dealer rang me back suggesting that in addition to the normal service, they are recommending a "upper cylinder service", otherwise known as a "throttle body service" for $108 inclusive of labour and parts.

They claimed that this was preventative maintenance and there was no specific reason why my car needed it.

I quickly googled and I read that on some cars with a rough idle it might make sense to clean carbon build up. But I have also read that "port" injection engines require it less than "direct" injection engines.

Are our engines port injected? Do we require this service or not? Has carbon build up been an issue for anybody? Please enlighten me as I clearly don't have a clue!

I politely declined the offer and suggested that I will look into it for its next service.

Thank you!

Another example of dealers trying to up-sell unnecessary services.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter