Thread: Sunroof Wagon Leaks

Users Country Flag

Sunroof Wagon Leaks

Hey guys,I got a 2017 wagon Luxury pack with sunroof bough with 3000Ks,it now has 65k on it.GThe sunroof did leak from new at the rear and was repaired/fixed by VW.They had to get parts from the Mother Country which took 6 weeks,so in reality the whole roof lining was pulled off twice and refitted.Now if I park in my driveway front down hill a little and it raind really heavy for a while my roof leaks right above the centre,I have even had pools of water on passenger seat.The other day igt was pouring really hedavy here in Sydney and I was just parked parralel but car was on a angle due to the gutter.Water after a while started to come through the front p;assenger B pillar vents???? How would the water get in there to start with and does anyone have any remedies? I checked front drains about 3 months ago and gthey were all good.
    Thanks
    Steve

Users Country Flag
    That's a pickle, a hole in a roof can cause all sorts of issues. The original repair could have missed something. You may have to remove the lining - not to hard in a wagon and get inside while someone gives it the hose test. Before that though, check the rubber concertina Hatch grommets for stress cracks.

good luck
    R36 Wagon MY2010.5: Biscay Blue| Dynaudio and Nav| RVC| VW tow bar|
    Mod highlights:
    ECU and DSG Tune| 3AA CCM and 7N0 Gateway| 3D colour MFD| MIB2 retrofit and 7N0 RVC| Quad LED tail, brake and indicator rings| Zimmermann Sportbrake rotors, composite pads| TPMS High| 2Q0 Blind Spot and RCTA| B8 rearview mirror|

Users Country Flag
    When I was removing trim in the back today to fix the load roller cover issue, I noticed a drain tube in the rear left corner. I wonder if it’s a case that the roof has 3/4 drain tubes and maybe if you are on a slight incline only having two ‘working’ is overwhelming the rain/drain rate?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thumbs down Problem

Quote Originally Posted by StefanVXR8 View Post
    When I was removing trim in the back today to fix the load roller cover issue, I noticed a drain tube in the rear left corner. I wonder if it’s a case that the roof has 3/4 drain tubes and maybe if you are on a slight incline only having two ‘working’ is overwhelming the rain/drain rate?
    I think its the front drain that has the problem.I have poured near boiling water down the front drain holes using a sauce bottle with a nozzle. Things seemed better,but here in rainy sydney at the moment....At one stage it was ;pouring out through gthe front pillar air vents when it was pouring rain,I was parked in a parking spot and the road was cambered,but its becoming a pain. Luckily I dont have any water stains on the head lining,Im very aware of the leaking now so I park accordingly now.I have heard there is a class action against VW in the USA over poorly made and manufactured sunroofs,how they leak.
    Steve

Users Country Flag
    Buy one of theses and clean the drains out properly Is a well known problem and the very reason I wouldnt have a sunroof

Car Drain Dredge Cleaning Scrub Brush For Volkswagen Vw Passat B8 Limited Edition Variant Viii - Car Stickers - AliExpress
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

The sunroof has 4 drain holes (2 front, 2 rear) you can clean them out by running some hot water down them and a cleaning line/brush. It sounds like your front drain pipe might be partially blocked. I use a long piece of line trimmer line and a kettle with hot water, pour water in the drain then run the line down, rinse and repeat until it's flowing out the bottom of the car well. Once clean I run some compressed air down them to blow out any remaining crap that might still be in them.
    MY18 Passat 206tsi R-Line | Harvard Blue | Wagon