Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Servicing not on time. Does it void the VW Warranty?

Users Country Flag

Servicing not on time. Does it void the VW Warranty?

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether or not your warranty will be void if you miss or service or schedule much later than the schedule?

I'm talking 10000km off. E.g. doing the 45k service at 55k.

TIA

Users Country Flag
    It doesn’t look good doing 25,000km on the engine oil oppose to 15,000km, if something goes wrong with the engine I think, you could kiss your warranty goodbye.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnte View Post
    Hi all,

Does anyone know whether or not your warranty will be void if you miss or service or schedule much later than the schedule?

I'm talking 10000km off. E.g. doing the 45k service at 55k.

TIA
    Quite simple really, the servicing schedule is 12mths or 15,000kms (whichever comes first).

Based on what you wrote above, I am assuming your referring to the 36mths / 45,000kms service and you now have 55,000kms on your car?

Is your Passat still under the 3yr manufacturers warranty?

If not, are you seeking a Goodwill claim from VW? Might be best to give them a call and discuss, I am sure you would be happy with their response if discussed diplomatically...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Id say VW would use it as a reason without blinking an eye if you had some kind of issue during your warranty period.

My brother did a similar thing recently with his Skoda vRS diesel. He bought it brand new in 2017 and only just had its first service done about 2 months ago. He is a tight arse and didnt want to spend the money. So the car had well and truly gone over in terms of time (approx 2yrs old) and kilometres (nearly 30,000km). I told him he was crazy because it will not only hurt resale when that time comes (he generally only keeps cars for 3-4 years) but also if he has an engine related warranty issue im sure Skoda will use the lack of servicing as a way to get out of it.

I offered to help do a DIY oil change on multiple occasions so that at least the oil and filter was changed - but he said no.

Best you consult your local VW dealership to find out for sure - but dont be surprised as id argue 10,000km is long overdue.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Quite simple really, the servicing schedule is 12mths or 15,000kms (whichever comes first).

Based on what you wrote above, I am assuming your referring to the 36mths / 45,000kms service and you now have 55,000kms on your car?

Is your Passat still under the 3yr manufacturers warranty?

If not, are you seeking a Goodwill claim from VW? Might be best to give them a call and discuss, I am sure you would be happy with their response if discussed diplomatically...
    Its actually a car I'm looking to purchase. Seller says there is 1.5 years left of the VW Warranty but the last week was the major service which he did 10k later. The seller clarified that it was over the 15000 interval but within the 12 month period. I'm just making sure that if I purchase the car, that the warranty is still valid.

The example I gave was just that. An example. Probably should of used the real life scenario in this case.

Users Country Flag
    I wouldnt necessarily walk away from the car, but id use the late service as a way of getting the price down a bit. If the seller wont budge then i would walk.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Spoke to the seller and he gave me more information on servicing intervals.

Service 1 10/01/17 17,254kms
    Service 2 09/01/18 34,161
    Service 3 18/09/18 52,893km
    Service 4 04/05/19 71,039 kms

Seems like the servicing is all over the shop. I think I might just call my local VW and ask them if the warranty is still okay.

Also, does anyone know if I need to fill out any papers to transfer the warranty over to me?

Users Country Flag
    Too random for me - there is no shortage of good Passats available on he second hand market.

if they’ve let simple scheduled maintenance go in that way, what else haven’t they taken care of?
    Cheers

Users Country Flag

Seems like the servicing is all over the shop. I think I might just call my local VW and ask them if the warranty is still okay.

Also, does anyone know if I need to fill out any papers to transfer the warranty over to me?
    There is a page in the service book for ownership changes

If services done at a dealers car rego etc will be in the system so they will have full records

If not you might be whistling in the wind

Where were the services done, Dealer , someones backyard??????

Also service intervals are 15k or 12months whichever comes first.

Wifes Polo is 8 years old has had a service every year but has only done 26000km
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 22-05-2019 at 09:01 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Based on only the above provided information...

The only way to tell if it is still in warranty is to find the date of first registration.
    Possibly mid 2016? So possibly out of warranty any month or so now...

If / when you purchase a vehicle, just contact VW, they have a change of ownership process that they will email to you.
    Simple process...

Due to Privacy Laws / Restrictions you might find it hard to gain info from the dealer / VW until it is in your name.

If you can communicate with the seller freely, just ask him/her more specific questions...

Unless it is a super cheap vehicle, I would consider looking for another...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast