Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: 140TDI DPF with Adblue

Users Country Flag

RE: 140TDI DPF with Adblue

Hi All,

Just picked up a Demo with a 1,000kms on the ODO.
    Drove from Sydney to Brisbane and performed flawlessly.
    Now in the usual day to day driving, I am experiencing an Active Regeneration Self Clean Cycle at some point of my journey.
    I can tell as the idle speed increases to around 1050 - 1100rpm.

In my previous 130TDI Highline, it rarely did a DPF Regen (in the same driving conditions).

I only have 2,500kms on the ODO.

Is this usual practice now of the Euro 6 Engines?

What is everyone else experiencing?
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like you've got a honest diesel engine instead of my naughty diesel engine...

Users Country Flag
    Deleted
    Last edited by doc_777; 04-04-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    Cheers

Hi ope126,
    Are you sure it is doing a regen?
    I find the idle speed is very dependent on the pressure applied to the brake pedal .
    Light pressure will result in an idle speed over just over 1000 rpm, but with a bit more pressure the speed drops to around 800 rpm (assuming you have start-stop de-activated)
    Only done about 1600km in my car, and have noticed it has performed a regen only twice; it is very obvious as the radiator fans are going full bore.
    MY17 Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg, Indium Grey, Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    What Gazza said. I find in my 130 that it does the same dependent on brake pressure, and I put it down to the engagement of the DSG clutch. The more brake, the less likely it thinks you are to take off again kind of thing. I have yet to notice any form of self cleaning in the year I have had mine. If it is there, then it is not making me aware of it!
    B7 Passat 130TDi Highline Special Model Candy White DSG

Users Country Flag
    Yes, when regen is undertaken, idle is around 1000rpm and I have noticed a deeper note from exhaust. Most of my regens happen on motorways and under throttle, the exhaust sounds bit louder, kind of a nicer sound.

2015 Tiguan 130TDI R-Line, Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof
    MY15 TIGUAN 130TDI R-LINE - Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    my 140tdi surprised me with its behaviour with the regen stuff. most disturbing is if you arrive home while it is in the middle of it. it makes quite the racket for a while after you turn the engine off - the fans run really loud for a while afterwards. i have lost count of how many times it has run - at around 9k km now. probably a good thing, as i probably don't get enough ~30min+ high speed drives in often enough, which would probably kill a dpf in one of the older engines.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    my 140tdi surprised me with its behaviour with the regen stuff. most disturbing is if you arrive home while it is in the middle of it. it makes quite the racket for a while after you turn the engine off - the fans run really loud for a while afterwards. i have lost count of how many times it has run - at around 9k km now. probably a good thing, as i probably don't get enough ~30min+ high speed drives in often enough, which would probably kill a dpf in one of the older engines.
    I would not recommend you interrupt a regen. I have been caught close to home few fimes, as it may sound crazy, continue to drive until finished. Do an extra lap.

The danger of interrupting regens, you could end up with oil thinning (fuel enters oil). Causes an increase in oil levels plus oil loses its lubrication. Very bad for engine. If you have a habit of turning off your engine with regen in process , check your oil level. Plus, can clog the dpf over time if regens are not completed. Be careful with that.

MY15 TIGUAN 130TDI R-LINE - Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    it makes quite the racket for a while after you turn the engine off - the fans run really loud for a while afterwards.
    Oh, is that what that is! I always thought it was some sort of turbo timer to cool things down! Shows what generation I grew up in!

I can say that I have gotten to my destination often with this happening, and had my first major service (25,000kms) and inspection passed with flying colours. However I will try and be more mindful of it after this explanation, thanks!
    B7 Passat 130TDi Highline Special Model Candy White DSG

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dinot81 View Post
    I would not recommend you interrupt a regen. I have been caught close to home few fimes, as it may sound crazy, continue to drive until finished. Do an extra lap.

The danger of interrupting regens, you could end up with oil thinning (fuel enters oil). Causes an increase in oil levels plus oil loses its lubrication. Very bad for engine. If you have a habit of turning off your engine with regen in process , check your oil level. Plus, can clog the dpf over time if regens are not completed. Be careful with that.

Interesting. This potential issue applies to the ea288? Do you have a link to some instances where these problems occurred. I often get home not even noticing the Regen is happening until I switch the engine off and hear the fan. From what you describe, VW has designed it in a way that will be difficult for me to avoid issues.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast