Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: 140TDI DPF with Adblue

Users Country Flag

Engine fan run-on is pretty normal for VWs. Has been that way for the last 10 years or so.

The idea is to stablise engine temps after shut-off.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    Interesting. This potential issue applies to the ea288? Do you have a link to some instances where these problems occurred. I often get home not even noticing the Regen is happening until I switch the engine off and hear the fan. From what you describe, VW has designed it in a way that will be difficult for me to avoid issues.
    If you are referring to oil thinning, this applies to all manufacturers with dpf engines. If they are not maintained, has caused issues all over the world from Audi to Volvo. Have read stories in Germany where engines have been destroyed with less then 10,000kms on the clock as people were not made aware on how to maintain a diesel with dpf. Most of them did shorter trips not allowing oil to reach operating temeperature. In those cases if a regen is required with a cold engine, it will inject additional fuel into combustion chamber to raise the temeperature (most cars need a minimum of 600 degrees C. If you reach your destination and interrupt that process, due to cylinder walls not being at operating temp, the additional unburnt fuel stays on the walls without being able to evaporate (low temp in chamber) and on the next start, oil will pick it up and you end up with oil thinning over time if repeated all the time. Its visible by increase of oil on dipstick. Looks like your engine producing oil. So, if that level goes beyond limits, can end up in the turbo and once the mixture reaches combustion chamber, engine commits suicide by revving itself to death. Imagine a diesel engine revving way past the limiter and cannot be shut down even if you turn off the key. Those unlucky ones are still in battle through Courts as has voided warranty and were never explained about issues by sales people. The manual says not to use for constant short distance driving and if so, engine will need higher speed driving from time to time.

In terms of regens, I can only say about mine that exhaust note is louder and idles at 1000rpm when in coasting mode or I happen to be at the lights. Have not driven another dpf diesel long enough to be present during a regen.

Another thing you can have a look if your service interval, they start with 365 / 730 days and 15k & 30k kms. If the inspection reminder reduces the days, not exactly following the oil change interval, car is picking up that not being driven ideally.

Hope above makes sense, sorry about if any typos, wrote on my phone. Above info obtained from German forums and stories when researched dpf problems people had.

2015 Tiguan 130TDI R-Line, Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof
    MY15 TIGUAN 130TDI R-LINE - Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Here is a website I found dedicated to dpf problems:

403 Forbidden

Just read this thread. I have had my 140 for a few days now and today the fans kept going after shut down. I thought it was a turbo thing but after coming across this I'm not so sure.

Could anybody please tell me how I know for sure if my car is going through this cycle?

Also would anybody be able to give me a few tips on how to care for my engine? From what I have read the diesels need an occasional long run is this true? Is it beneficial to give it some beans here and there through the gears and blow the cob webs out? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi1985 View Post
    Just read this thread. I have had my 140 for a few days now and today the fans kept going after shut down. I thought it was a turbo thing but after coming across this I'm not so sure.

Could anybody please tell me how I know for sure if my car is going through this cycle?

Also would anybody be able to give me a few tips on how to care for my engine? From what I have read the diesels need an occasional long run is this true? Is it beneficial to give it some beans here and there through the gears and blow the cob webs out? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If your trips are long enough to get oil to operating temperature and keep an eye on idle revs before shutting down (air-con off). If idles at around 1000rpm, likely doing a regen. With fans running after shutdown, can also be just cooling down. Had that happen once in 2 years since buying mine but it was after driving in close to 40 degree heat.

Regen occurance depends also on quality of diesel that you fill up. BP Ultimate is the only one in Oz being close to european standard, followed by Vortex Diesel. Anything else is crap in my view.

There is no need to trash the engine just to blow cobwebs out, 110kph on motorway does the job. Do 30-40kms trip at least here and there, maybe at least once a month. Diesel engines are not really built for suburban driving, they are long-range engines and need regular exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by dinot81 View Post
    If your trips are long enough to get oil to operating temperature and keep an eye on idle revs before shutting down (air-con off). If idles at around 1000rpm, likely doing a regen. With fans running after shutdown, can also be just cooling down. Had that happen once in 2 years since buying mine but it was after driving in close to 40 degree heat.

Regen occurance depends also on quality of diesel that you fill up. BP Ultimate is the only one in Oz being close to european standard, followed by Vortex Diesel. Anything else is crap in my view.

There is no need to trash the engine just to blow cobwebs out, 110kph on motorway does the job. Do 30-40kms trip at least here and there, maybe at least once a month. Diesel engines are not really built for suburban driving, they are long-range engines and need regular exercise.

Thanks heaps for the advise I will note everything you just mentioned. Did a few hours today but got a cracked windscreen on my 3 day old car totally gutted.

Quote Originally Posted by Asahi1985 View Post
    Thanks heaps for the advise I will note everything you just mentioned. Did a few hours today but got a cracked windscreen on my 3 day old car totally gutted.

If it makes you feel any better. I took out a Kangaroo down South @ 4 weeks old.

Also, the premium Diesel in WA (and I'm pretty sure other states) for both Caltex and BP is the same. They come out of the same refinery and have the same additives.
    MY17 206 R-Line Passat Sedan, Pure White, Sunroof | Spectune STG1 | VWR 600 Intake, TMD, Inlet Elbow | Res Delete

MY 13 Tiguan 155TSI | Pepper Grey | DSG | Leather | RVC | RNS510 | ACC | 18" New York Wheels -SOLD

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Hi ope126,
    Are you sure it is doing a regen?
    I find the idle speed is very dependent on the pressure applied to the brake pedal .
    Light pressure will result in an idle speed over just over 1000 rpm, but with a bit more pressure the speed drops to around 800 rpm (assuming you have start-stop de-activated)
    Only done about 1600km in my car, and have noticed it has performed a regen only twice; it is very obvious as the radiator fans are going full bore.
    As per the this post, solution has been found!
    It is just the pressure that I apply to the brakes when stationary.
    Obviously I need to apply full pressure, not just a light pressure (which I have done with all my cars in my life).

Thanks for the info though!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Obviously I need to apply full pressure, not just a light pressure (which I have done with all my cars in my life).

Only applying light pressure may also partially engage the clutches in a similar fashion to slipping the clutch on a manual. Also creeping in traffic by lightening off on the brake is a no no if you want clutches to last. Stop it, hold it stopped, remove brake foot completely, let it roll.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 11-04-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post

bonus: you also might save your gearbox a bit of unnecessary wear

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast