Thread: Question on Start-Stop feature

Users Country Flag

Question on Start-Stop feature

Hi,

The start-stop feature in my car acts too quickly; the engine switches off the moment I stop at a traffic light/intersection etc., or even when slowly negotiating a speed breaker (bump).

My Golf had the same feature but not as sensitive or acting quickly.

Is there any method to increase the time for the start stop feature to kick in?

I have only seen posts on disabling the feature, which I don't intend to do as I do find it useful.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I think from a few videos I have seen the way you apply the brakes makes a difference, just google it and you can view some good vids.
    Use the auto brake feature to help.

Users Country Flag
    I dont believe there is any way to adjust the sensitivity or time delay of the start/stop system. Personally I really dislike the technology so have disabled it in both my cars, but as above, you can play around with the amount of pressure you apply to the brake pedal and you can (to a point) control the start/stop feature from kicking in.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Brake earlier and softer I had it in my Passat and could come to a stop without it ever coming on If you hold the brake on just enough to hold the car still it wont stop the engine,

However if you drive 6 ins in front of your bonnet and whack the brakes on hard yes it will stop and brake pads will wear out a lot faster.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    As others have said you need to brake very gently, it's annoying I know, mine would stop the engine when still doing about 5 km/hr, however now that the battery isn't so great (although dealer says it's not faulty) it hardly ever shuts down the engine anymore...
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Users Country Flag
    braking gently mostly never worked in denying the start-stop from cutting out the engine in my Superb.

i don't want to disable it permanently either, as i like to use the start-stop feature when i know i'm going to b stopped for a while.

so i got myself a start-stop memory device. essentially it remembers the last selected stated of the start-stop when the car was turned off, or always automatically turns it off, each time the car is started.
    i set mine to "automatic", i.e. start-stop is defaulted to off-state when car is switched on.

so anytime i'm need to use start-stop, i can simply press the button in the centre-console to turn it on/off.

i've seen plenty on ebay/AliExpress for the Passat.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dArK5HaD0w View Post
    braking gently mostly never worked in denying the start-stop from cutting out the engine in my Superb.

i don't want to disable it permanently either, as i like to use the start-stop feature when i know i'm going to b stopped for a while.

so i got myself a start-stop memory device. essentially it remembers the last selected stated of the start-stop when the car was turned off, or always automatically turns it off, each time the car is started.
    i set mine to "automatic", i.e. start-stop is defaulted to off-state when car is switched on.

so anytime i'm need to use start-stop, i can simply press the button in the centre-console to turn it on/off.

i've seen plenty on ebay/AliExpress for the Passat.
    ^^ Exactly, we have this same device in our A1. Cost $88 off Ebay in Aus and works like a dream.

Lucas, look into this as it provides the best of both worlds. Stop-start is auto disabled when you start the car but can be re-enabled any time you physically press the button. Its better operationally than any of the coding "cheats" which permanently disables it.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 18-12-2020 at 03:12 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...