Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Query - 2017 Passat 206 TSI R - Tuning

Query - 2017 Passat 206 TSI R - Tuning

Hi all,

I have a 2017 Passat 206 TSI R Line and am wanting to tune it but really not sure what type of tune to get, I have heard the JB4 is really good and i have heard of APR stage 1 or 2 tunes, I have to admit id love to get K&N filter also but my car is still in warranty so not sure how it would go with that, but if anyone could advise on their thoughts or experiences it would be greatly appreciated? Im not too bothered about top end speed but acceleration yes please
    2017 - VW Passat 206 TSI - R Line Wagon in white

Users Country Flag
    I will cop a load of **** for saying this, but it's what you're needing to be told truthfully:

Your post/question is answered rather simply: what's your budget?

If you can afford to replace a gearbox or engine without any hesitation or pain - APR stage 1/2 will be a great upgrade in power. If you drive it conservatively most of the time it shouldn't hamper longevity too much. If you drive it like you stole it, you'll be up for some early component failure induced by the additional strain on the engine/gearbox.

If, like most people, you could never budget to replace a DSG gearbox, mech unit, clutch packs or Engine unit in a brand new car whereby you're relying on the warranty to resolve any issues - simply put: don't tune it. Enjoy it as it is. If anything ever goes wrong, you'll be blissfully pleased that it's all covered without fear or stress.

There are a ton of options out there for tuning whereby they will claim that VW cannot detect it, it can be flashed back to stock, they'll never know, yada yada yada. It's all well and good to say that, however, not one of the tuning houses will guarantee the safety of your warranty and compensate you if VW do what they're getting rather good at now: void your drivetrain warranty.

FLAME ON.

Users Country Flag
    No need for flame on dude. I completely agree!

If you wanted more from a car, why buy the 206 TSI R-Line to start with?

Users Country Flag
    Yeah i have to agree if it causes failure and vw detects it no warranty poof all gone and no tuner will back you up its all on you

Having said that if you want to go ahead you can get big power out of the engine a stage 1 tune will net you a extra 40-50kw and lots more torque you will need a dsg tune as well so budget for that as for who you use thats up to you apr and harding performance have tunes
    Also there are many smaller shops that do it as well ask around the tuning forums and research thoroughly
    I want badly to tune my car but am going to wait till after warranty only another 28 mths to go but who is counting lol

Tho i did do 1 small intake mod which if vw arc up with i think i can justify as airbox/turbo piping ect are still stock
    Welcome to REVO | Revo Technik

Mainly for the carbon fibre look as i am getting my engine cover and a few other items hydro dipped soon

Good luck with whatever you choose
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag
    A JB1/JB4 unit will give you 80% of the benefits of a full remap (like APR etc) for about 50% of the price of the full remap. And you can remove it if/when you sell the car and recoup at least 50-60% of the purchase price.

If you decide to do a full remap, also consider Underground Performance Underground Performance seeing you are in Melbourne.

A replacement air filter will not void your warranty, but i would suggest looking at AFE filters over K&N as their quality is much better in my opinion. Such as: aFe POWER 31-10254 Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter | aFe POWER

A complete replacement intake such as https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volks...1.8T-2.0T.html could be "blamed" by a VW dealership for causing a number of engine failures if you were unlucky enough to have this happen to you, but the likelyhood of it actually being the culprit of the issue is very very low. Unfortunately this is a risk you must take if you want to modify the car, and most dealerships (regardless of whether its VW, Renault etc) will blame a modification for causing the issue even if its not related.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    A replacement air filter will not void your warranty, but i would suggest looking at AFE filters over K&N as their quality is much better in my opinion. Such as: aFe POWER 31-10254 Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter | aFe POWER
    Have you guys found any noticeable difference in upgrading the air filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket36 View Post
    No need for flame on dude. I completely agree!

If you wanted more from a car, why buy the 206 TSI R-Line to start with?
    Thats an easy question to answer, and a good point! the 206 TSI R is a great all round car for a cracking good price, I wanted a fast wagon being a family man without spending 300k on a supercar, I love the Passat 206 like crazy but also even though its great a car...is a car ever fast enough for a car enthusiast lol so i like the thought of tuning it but wanted to hear people opinions 1st before i really rack my conscience especially as standard I have the warranty lol also some could say why not buy a porsche or ferrari if i wanted fast, but i think a 206 TSI with some tunings can match some of the supercars for a 3rd of the price, also being new to tuning i didnt know where to go with it, some research is good but asking from peoples experience is far better to understand, also i am planning to keep the Passat as long as i can so wanted to understand what i could do without wrecking the engine or gearbox in a few hundred ks
    Last edited by bunglebp; 16-02-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    2017 - VW Passat 206 TSI - R Line Wagon in white

There's people that are conservative, buy an extended warranty, drive 5km/hr under the limit and don't tune their cars.

Then there's people that take their brand new car from the dealership straight to the tuning shop.

And then there's those somewhere in-between.

It's all down to risk/reward. The motor in the Passat is almost identical to the Golf R so you'll get a similar result.

I drove a 206TSI Passat on the VW Drive Expereicne and it doesn't feel overly exciting. I think the extra weight of the AWD plus larger car dulls it. A stage 1 tune will liven it up or if you want a bigger/fatter torque curve go straight to stage 2 and install a bigger downpipe first.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    If you want more torque, but a diesel! Lol

Unfortunately the 140TDI in FWD wouldn't come close to a stage 2 206TSI which should put out 230-240kwaw.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast