Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Query - 2017 Passat 206 TSI R - Tuning

Users Country Flag

I'm in the in-betweeners camp at the mo. The 206 has plenty of power for what I need it to do (not really taking my daily to the track), however, who would say no to an extra pony or two under the hood. Dilemma. Just don't want to f*** up a perfectly good car with tomfoolery.
    In my old XR6T days (no changes on mine), a couple of my mates completed stage 1s and 2s, and ended up needing to replace a bit of running gear. It could be down to Make, Driving style, Would I drive it any different, or recent dev on cars. So I've been reading as much as I can to see the risks.
    So please, keep all the experiences coming, and maybe i'll grow a pair.

Thanks
    Mine - Mustang GT MY20 - Carbonised Grey - "Nicky"
    Hers - T-Roc 140 TSI Sport MY21 - Reveena Blue - "Rocky"
    Previous - Passat 206TSI MY17 - Night Blue

If you're going to go stage 2 on these I'd definitely budget in a DSG tune which can be programmed to increase the clamp pressures (essential when you're making significantly more torque than stock).

I'd drive your car as stock and when you're getting a bit bored/thinking about change then tune it and it'll be like driving a completeky new car again. Far cheaper to spend a $1-2k tuning your car than dropping $10-20k in depreciation/trade-in robbery.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DR074 View Post
    I'm in the in-betweeners camp at the mo. The 206 has plenty of power for what I need it to do (not really taking my daily to the track), however, who would say no to an extra pony or two under the hood. Dilemma. Just don't want to f*** up a perfectly good car with tomfoolery.
    In my old XR6T days (no changes on mine), a couple of my mates completed stage 1s and 2s, and ended up needing to replace a bit of running gear. It could be down to Make, Driving style, Would I drive it any different, or recent dev on cars. So I've been reading as much as I can to see the risks.
    So please, keep all the experiences coming, and maybe i'll grow a pair.

Thanks
    How long do you want to keep your car for?
    If you do stage 2, then don’t keep it much over 100,000km and I’d definitely sell it before it reaches that.
    That’s from my experience what I see in the stg2 tuned cars.

Users Country Flag
    I'm looking at keeping mine for 10 years if possible, so probably 150,000kms. Don't really care what I get for it after that.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DR074 View Post
    I'm looking at keeping mine for 10 years if possible, so probably 150,000kms. Don't really care what I get for it after that.
    Your DSG most likely won’t last that distance if stg2 tuned, regardless if you do DSG tune or not.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Your DSG most likely won’t last that distance if stg2 tuned, regardless if you do DSG tune or not.
    Thanks for the info

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Kachingg View Post
    Yeah i have to agree if it causes failure and vw detects it no warranty poof all gone and no tuner will back you up its all on you

Having said that if you want to go ahead you can get big power out of the engine a stage 1 tune will net you a extra 40-50kw and lots more torque you will need a dsg tune as well so budget for that as for who you use thats up to you apr and harding performance have tunes
    Also there are many smaller shops that do it as well ask around the tuning forums and research thoroughly
    I want badly to tune my car but am going to wait till after warranty only another 28 mths to go but who is counting lol

Tho i did do 1 small intake mod which if vw arc up with i think i can justify as airbox/turbo piping ect are still stock
    Welcome to REVO | Revo Technik

Mainly for the carbon fibre look as i am getting my engine cover and a few other items hydro dipped soon

Good luck with whatever you choose

Hi Mate,

some sound advice from all. I have recently bought a 206 passat tsi and am keen to add a few things. Im not going to do much until teh warrranty is up, as another poster mentioned.....could I afford a new engine.

I was just keen to hear about the intake mod you did? was it a turbo inlet hose or air intake system you did? I may add such thing as im thinking it may not have too much effect on teh warrenty

cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Goublin View Post
    Hi Mate,

some sound advice from all. I have recently bought a 206 passat tsi and am keen to add a few things. Im not going to do much until teh warrranty is up, as another poster mentioned.....could I afford a new engine.

I was just keen to hear about the intake mod you did? was it a turbo inlet hose or air intake system you did? I may add such thing as im thinking it may not have too much effect on teh warrenty

cheers

Hi mate

I replaced the air scoop over the radiator as its very restrictive (same air scoop is fitted in all golfs from 1.4tsi to tdi to r and gti) i am not sure if they make one for the passat you will have to look around its easy as to take off and replace the stock one for servicing if you wish about 10 min for a tsi and prob double that for a tdi as the engine is larger requiring some fiddling around with the air-box to get it in and out

Attachment 33315
    I put the stock air scoop on top of the revo one i have fitted this is the passengers side see how the top one is all blocked off and the bottom revo intake feeds straight into the air-box

Attachment 33316

This is the drivers side on top you can see a straight through air feed into the engine bay on bottom 40% feed into the engine bay for oil cooling ect and 60% feed into air-box with the side panel funneling air into it

Query - 2017 Passat 206 TSI R - Tuning-20180225_175338-jpg
    This is stock air scoop from the rear the white light you can see is me shining a light from the air-box side so you can see how restrictive the intake is all air for the motor has to take a 90deg side turn and be sucked down into engine by the turbo also you are getting warm engine bay air sucked in as well

I have noticed a decrease in turbo lag it spools up quicker and also a increase in mid range torque from 2000 to 3000rpm that is quite noticeable
    Query - 2017 Passat 206 TSI R - Tuning-20180209_142741-jpg Query - 2017 Passat 206 TSI R - Tuning-20180224_102532-jpg
    Stock vs Revo intake

Plus it just looks much better
    Last edited by Kachingg; 25-02-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag
    Get a load of that engine cover!

That's at _least_ 20kw increase.

Users Country Flag

Thanks for sharing dude. Yeah looks a neater and great that it is noticeable. I'll have a look under my bonnet tomorrow, the revo website doesn't say that it's compatible with a passat but I'll see. I'm certainly going to enjoy the standard car right now and start to look at what I may want to do in the future.
    Its a great car, very pleased with it up to now.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast