Thread: Protecting air intakes/grill from bugs

Protecting air intakes/grill from bugs

Anyone know of an off the shelf product or method to keep bugs out of the various intakes in the grill of the 206TSI? I believe you can custom order a car bra, seems like an expensive option for one use a year. Have to do a long drive in NQLD next month for service and this time last year FILLED the front end with grasshoppers... terrible smell and very hard to get them all out!

Users Country Flag
    Have you thought about a really basic solution ?
    Cyclone 810mm x 2.05m Fibreglass Insect Screen | Bunnings Warehouse
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaAl View Post
    Anyone know of an off the shelf product or method to keep bugs out of the various intakes in the grill of the 206TSI? I believe you can custom order a car bra, seems like an expensive option for one use a year. Have to do a long drive in NQLD next month for service and this time last year FILLED the front end with grasshoppers... terrible smell and very hard to get them all out!
    You can buy bug screens from 4WD places that cover your grill and have occy straps to hold them on Had one on my Cruiser in the north and west
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Older thread I know but a cautionary tale ...

I've purchased and used CarBra car bras for my past six vehicles (over 20 years). They fit nicely and work very well in keeping the front clean from bugs and protected from stones. I only put them on for trips away from the city ... but I do this often.

I elected not to get a car bra for my Passat despite the nice black gloss detailing and open grill. Mistake!

On a recent trip across the Hay plain, I met an on-coming Semi just where the local council recently performed 'road works' i.e. dumping a load of loose blue metal on drying tar. The hail of stones hitting the front at speed resulted in a mass of paint chips, pock marked the windscreen and the lower radiator now looks like a patchwork (thankfully it did not hole).

Sadly I feel buying a car bra now is like selling your shares after the crash ... but for my next car!
    VW Passat MY19 206TSI Wagon

If your going for long drives the car bra is by far the best option.
    Clear wraps can only go so far but a car bra gives you real protection and has bug screen for the long drives at night

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk