Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project pACC!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nibose View Post
    However, before placing the order, need to be sure traffic recognition in fusion works, else pACC may only work partially.
    have u not enabled TSR yet on ur Passat?
    i've enabled TSR on mine, and it is currently set "Road Sign Detection". i get a warning at start up (after 100m of driving) saying "Dynamic Road Sign Display currently restricted". the camera continues to work, and only traffic signs recognised by the camera is shown. no map data is shown.

if is set it to Fusion mode, TSR doesn't work altogether and throws an error, saying "No road signs available"

wat is the part number of the "new radar"?
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi,

I've got TSR but on TSR mode. It does not work on fusion mode, for which a software update is suggested. If the fusion mode works after the update, the pACC project is worthwhile.

The radar part number is 3QF 907 561 D

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nibose View Post
    Hi,

I've got TSR but on TSR mode. It does not work on fusion mode, for which a software update is suggested. If the fusion mode works after the update, the pACC project is worthwhile.

The radar part number is 3QF 907 561 D
    I c I c.
    Good luck with the software update and the radar.
    Keen to see how it pans out.

Hi Everyone!

Here's the current update:

Flashed the A5 control module to the latest firmware. However fusion mode does not work.

pACC can still work if the radar module is replaced to the model that supports it and follow the activation procedures, but with some caveats: This pACC will only react to speed signs, i.e., when it detects a speed sign, it slows down or speeds up, however, it wont be able to predict from the maps on the speed signs that are about to come.

Having said that, it will still be able to detect the bends, slopes/ramps and slow down/speed up.

Trying to see if there still exists a workaround to get the fully functional pACC.

Hello Everybody!

Hope you've all had a wonderful Christmas and now all geared for the New Year

I had not given up on this project but was busy with work related schedules so could not give much time to this.

However, I have had quite some time during this Christmas and I must say, I've had success!

I have successfully managed to activate pACC in my Passat.

The project started with the purchase of a new a new radar, as my existing radar wont support pACC.
    This was the easiest step and took less than a week to arrive.

The next step was to take a backup of all the existing codings, admaps and blockmaps
    Next comes the radar swap, activation, component protection removal, coding and adaptations.
    Calibration follows next.
    I had also update the firmwares to the latest
    There were lots of errors because of the radar swap and the firmware upgrades which needs to be cleared.
    pACC options will be seen in the radio menu and cluster.

Took the car for a test drive. pACC works great! It uses the maps info for intersections, roundabouts etc, traffic signs from the camera. The car slows proactively for lower speed signs and speeds up exactly after the higher speed limits. If you were to use navigation to some destination, it appears to use the maps info, traffic info etc.

Overall, its marvellous and I'm quite happy.

Went for another detailed test drive today morning and here are my observations:

pACC is working exactly as expected

When in route guidance mode, it also picks up road signs from the maps and camera. With TSR, i had the problem where the car detects multiple speed signs (100 for freeway and 70 for exist way), the car will display 70 speed and an overspeed warning. This no longer happens. If I'm on the expressway, The displays 100 and maintains the speed.

If my route includes an exit from freeway, I do see the new speed limit in advance and the car adjusts to the new speed such that by the time I pass the new limit, it matches the same.

School signs: It detects 40kph and once out of the school zone, I see the "end of speed limit" sign and the car resumes to the speed of the road (50/60 etc). Again, it gets this info from the maps.

I've also noticed many a times, the virtual cockpit shows a higher speed limit such as 80 or 100 (especially if I'd just exited from a main road) but the car adjusts to 50/60 automatically, without the camera detecting signs. This should be from the maps.

All curves, bends, roundabouts etc are detected and speed is adjusted accordingly.

If a higher speed sign is detected, the car speeds up from the point of the sign

I have had a couple of instances where the car mistook some random sign as a speed limit and started speeding/slowing, but corrected ASAP, from the maps info.

I guess fusion mode is only relevant to Dynamic Sign Assist feature but not for pACC

Looks cool so far!

How I wish it could detect and process traffic lights as well!
    Last edited by nibose; 28-12-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Users Country Flag
    That's brilliant to hear u got it working!!
    U persisted with it.
    Seems to b a significant improvement over the standard ACC.

Maybe u can write up a how-to upgrade guide, so others can follow.

Users Country Flag
    Or tell us how much would cost to install it on B8 passiwith ACC Project pACC!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    2014 Passat Wagon, TDI, blue-motion technology, ComfortPower front seats, Adaptive Damping Control, Premium Sound System, Power Tailgate, Sports pack

cHere are the pre-requisites:

- Compatible front camera with compatible firmware in the windshield
    - Compatible Radar in front (you will most probably have to swap your existing radar)
    - Navigation Mib2
    - VAS5054 car diagnostic interface
    - A laptop that connects to the car via the VAS5054 interface with Flexihub and TeamViewer / AnyDesk (connected to a power source)
    - The VW expert, who will help with the component protection removal, coding/adaptations, FeC/Swap updates, calibration etc
    - Nice to have: ODIS Service and ODIS engineering on the laptop so that the expert can copy and update firmware locally, else internet connectivity issues can disrupt the firmware upgrade, thereby bricking your new radar
    - Car batter charger/maintainer: This is mandatory as the firmware upgrade and other processes do take time and these consume battery power and there is a high chance of it running out. I purchased a battery charger from Amazon which has a capacity of 8Amps. The charger should also support the battery type installed in your car.
    - When connecting the charger, connect the positive first and then the negative, to the appropriate connection point (NOT to the negative terminal of the battery) - make a note of these first

The VW expert will need to review your full scan, admaps and blackcaps to see if your existing hardware/software is compatible for this upgrade. The expert will also suggest you the correct part number for the radar. In my case, this was 3QF 907 561 D.

You may order the radar from an online seller but be sure to order the authentic & brand new VW radar from a reputed seller.

Please note this activity takes almost a full day.

On the day of the upgrade:

Ensure the battery charger is connected and charging/maintaining the car battery
    Connect the VAS5054 interface to the car and the USB side to the laptop which is ready and powered by an AC adaptor
    Assuming the front radar is behind the VW badge, remove the front grill as shown, by removing the 4 screws on top and gently pull it out from the bottom. Care should be taken not to damage the plastic clips
    The front radar will be visible and accessible
    Ensure the radar is cool enough, the car should have had its ignition off for at least 30 mins prior as the radar module can be very warm and you may end up burning your fingers
    Loosen the radar by gently pushing the top holding clip and the radar should tilt forward
    Pull out the radar from the bottom holding pins
    Disconnect the connector
    Install the new radar in the reverse order
    Care should be taken only to use the required force, else the alignment can drastically change or the mounting bracket breaks
    Replace the grill
    Switch ON the ignition; you should see the Christmas lights
    The VW expert then takes care of the rest

Radar Calibration:

There are two types of calibrations: Static and Dynamic. Static calibration is described below while dynamic is performed as the car is driven.
    The car needs to be aligned as shown in the links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLFvT-fNLKs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPl_g-2x-Ls

Though my calibration reflector appears basic, I had made it as per VAS 6430
    Calibration will be run by the VW expert using ODIS. If all goes well, you should see the calibration successful message.
    This is where we need to be really careful when swapping the radar so as not to upset the mounting bracket.
    I had checked the calibration parameters from the previous radar (from the backup) and after calibration. In my case it was almost identical except a 003 deg variance for the vertical.

If the ODIS radar calibration fails, you have to get it done through the local ADAS calibration workshops.

The next step will be finalising the coding, adaptations and clearing the fault codes.
    You should see the pACC options on the MIB.

Take the car for a test drive to ensure everything is working as expected.

I also had pedestrian detection & monitoring enabled during the upgrade, which is only supported on the newer radar.

Project pACC!-1-pngProject pACC!-2-jpgProject pACC!-3-jpgProject pACC!-5-jpgProject pACC!-6-jpgProject pACC!-7-jpgProject pACC!-4-jpgProject pACC!-8-jpgProject pACC!-9-jpgProject pACC!-12-jpgProject pACC!-13-jpgProject pACC!-14-jpgProject pACC!-15-jpgProject pACC!-16-jpg

I do not have a go pro to make a video of the cockpit while I'm driving; however for those of you who live in Perth, I am willing to give a demo

Please PM me for the details of the VW expert. The radar cost me $300 (including shipping). There will be an additional cost for the VW expert and any other essentials you may have to buy such as the chargers etc.

Depending on your car, you may have to perform additional upgrades (hardware/software) for the front camera, MIB etc.

I guess I should have the first VW Passat in Australia capable of this feature

Last edited by nibose; 02-01-2022 at 02:01 AM.

The YouTube links I'd provided above shows the detailed ADAS calibration. If you've removed and swapped the radar carefully, the alignment process should only involve the ODIS activity.

Do not adjust the bracket screws as shown in the videos - this needs to be done only by a professional and is only required if the radar is grossly out of alignment, probably because you were careless during the radar swap.

I had followed the videos to align my car and made the reflector as per VAS6430.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast