Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Passat vs superb

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    13
    Users Country Flag

    Passat vs superb

    Bit of a lurker, currently driving a 2012 q5 and looking for an upgrade.

    Was looking at FY/B9 sq5s but can't get over the issues with the 3.0T. Decided to look at other options and the Passat 206tsi R Line and Superb 206tsi sportsline came up. For similar price to an sq5, I can get something newer, more tech etc. And new car warranty remaining.

    Should I be swayed to either one or are they pretty much the same? Both look cool, not worried about depreciation or anything as I plan on keeping the car at least 5 years. They both seem to have similar features and tech. I would be looking at wagons/avant/estate because they are cooler and more practical.

    Thanks

    Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ML24WA; 29-10-2023 at 10:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    5,763
    Users Country Flag
    What issues have you heard about with the 3.0T in the newer SQ5? All im aware of is the weak rocker arms (which can disintegrate) on the earlier MY17-MY19 models, but these were updated in 2019 to a more robust design. Apart from that, these engines are pretty reliable from what I have seen (I have a 2015 model B8.5 SQ5 and am considering the newer B9 SQ5 - and have been doing some research on them).

    As for your question re Passat or Suberb - they are very much the same car underneath the skin. So it really comes down to price and which one you like better as they are essentially very much identical otherwise. What about the Arteon wagon?
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 13-02-2024 at 12:49 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    185
    Users Country Flag
    I've owned both - a MY19 Superb Sportline and now a MY18 Passat R-Line.

    The differences are relatively subtle in my experience.

    The Superb has slightly more interior space, with more rear seat legroom and slightly greater internal width.

    The Superb's alcantara seats are subjectively more comfortable than the Nappa leather Passat - over a long trip, we always found that we were more comfortable in the Superb.

    10L larger boot in the superb - 650L vs 660L - virtually nothing in it!

    The Superb's suspension is more softly damped than the Passat (i.e. it has different DCC programming). If you find it too soft, this can be addressed by coding the DCC and using the dataset from a late model Passat or Arteon, along with enabling 15 damping settings rather than the original 3.

    I personally prefer the design and quality of finishes in the Passat over the Superb, but it really is a closely fought race! You really cannot go wrong with either.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    13
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    What issues have you heard about with the 3.0T in the newer SQ5? All im aware of is the weak rocker arms (which can disintegrate) on the earlier MY17-MY19 models, but these were updated in 2019 to a more robust design. Apart from that, these engines are pretty reliable from what I have seen (I have a 2015 model B8.5 SQ5 and am considering the newer B9 SQ5 - and have been doing some research on them).
    Just the rocker arms, but it's a pretty large flaw. It's a big repair job on an out of warranty car if it happens to you. Obviously well maintained vehicles might be a better bet, but sometimes that's also not the case. Maybe I've been spooked reading too much audizine or watching VAG technic on YouTube?

    Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    5,763
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ML24WA View Post
    Just the rocker arms, but it's a pretty large flaw. It's a big repair job on an out of warranty car if it happens to you. Obviously well maintained vehicles might be a better bet, but sometimes that's also not the case. Maybe I've been spooked reading too much audizine or watching VAG technic on YouTube?
    Haha yes I watch VAG Technik on Youtube as well. And yes I agree its a big cost if those rocker arms fail on you outside of warranty. But at the same time dont forget that in Europe they use the longlife service intervals which can be up to 30,000km which is just ridiculous. Many of these engine issues could be greatly reduced or eliminated by having more regular oil changes. I do 6 monthly oil changes on my older diesel SQ5 which works out to be about every 7,000-8,000km as we do about 15,000km per year in that car. It costs me about $100 to do an oil and oil filter (OEM filter and I buy either Penrite or Nulon synthetic oil with the correct VW504/507 spec when its on sale) change which is a small price to pay to keep that engine as healthy as possible.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    2,255
    Users Country Flag
    For reference, the Superb is more identical in size/shape with the Arteon, than it is with the Passat.

    Passat vs superb-fb_img_1689463197036~2-jpg
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    13
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by dArK5HaD0w View Post
    For reference, the Superb is more identical in size/shape with the Arteon, than it is with the Passat.

    Passat vs superb-fb_img_1689463197036~2-jpg
    Hi mate

    Thanks for the input. I was only considering wagons, but interesting to note the shapes are similar.

    What year did these cars come with carplay/android auto as standard? It looks to be MY17+ maybe? Or is that the touch screen infotainment system that changed/optional difference for a larger screen with touch etc.?

    @Lucas, due to supply issues in WA (only a single petrol SQ5 for sale) the SQ5 is looking like a probably not.

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    2,255
    Users Country Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by ML24WA View Post
    Hi mate

    Thanks for the input. I was only considering wagons, but interesting to note the shapes are similar.

    What year did these cars come with carplay/android auto as standard? It looks to be MY17+ maybe? Or is that the touch screen infotainment system that changed/optional difference for a larger screen with touch etc.?
    All good. It is also worth noting that the Superb sedan/liftback (4861mm) is longer than the Superb wagon/estate (4856mm).

    The mk3 Superb (2015-onwards) in oz came with the SmartLink (Android Auto, Carplay & MirrorLink) as standard.
    MY15 to MY17 came with the Columbus MIB2 units, i.e. a Discovery Pro. 8" touchscreen with buttons.
    MY18 to MY19 came with the Columbus MIB2.5 units. 9.2" touchscreen, no buttons
    MY20 onwards came with the Columbus MIB3 units. 9.2" touchscreen, no buttons, and introduced Wireless Carplay and Android Auto.

    i have a MY17 Superb with the Columbus MIB2. i have added a AAWireless Dongle to it, which allows me to wireless connect Android Auto. Works flawlessly, and is very convenient to use.
    Last edited by dArK5HaD0w; 13-02-2024 at 12:20 PM.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
| |