Thread: Outer Door Skin Removal

Outer Door Skin Removal

Hi All,

I'm thinking of doing something adventurous with an audio upgrade but don't know how to get into the door cavity. Specifically to put some more dynamat on the inside part of the outer metal door skin. Does anyone know how you get in there?

I've seen the car with the inner door skins off and it looks like the whole window/door assembly is one big sealed unit.

TIA
    MY17 206 R-Line Passat Sedan, Pure White, Sunroof | Spectune STG1 | VWR 600 Intake, TMD, Inlet Elbow | Res Delete

MY 13 Tiguan 155TSI | Pepper Grey | DSG | Leather | RVC | RNS510 | ACC | 18" New York Wheels -SOLD

Users Country Flag
    Old post I know, might help someone else in the future. To get inside the door you have to work your way through the speaker hole when you've taken the speaker out, but main access is through the black plastic triangular section. Disconnect the cables attached to the front of it and the one that attaches to the door lock. Use a trim tool or you can even get it off with your fingers and it'll just pop out. Took me a good hour or so to get it covered everywhere. Tap the the outer door skin with your knuckle and it's solid as now. I've also got an InstalPro bass diffuser behind the speaker, the window just misses it when it's wound down.
    I've just done my front doors with Focal Bam. I didn't do my research at the start so completed one door with Dynamat Extreme. Then Marty at FHRX pointed out that dynamat was no longer the choice to go with, and did the other door with Bam. The difference between Dynamat & Bam is night & day. Bam is so much more solid, absorbent, my doors shut with a solid bank vault like thud now. I then took most of the dynamat off the first door and redid it with Bam. The speakers now sound massively better with the Bam and I don't even have the amp hooked up yet, gone with an Audiotec Helix V Eight DSP Mk2. I'm now going through and doing the cargo area under the floor and lid with Bam and then onto the rear doors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Outer Door Skin Removal-20201115_112221a-jpg  
    MY18 Passat 206TSI R-Line Wagon - White
    2005 E46 M3 - LeMans Blue

Users Country Flag
    Hi guys,
    How did you get the door trim off to start with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Newair View Post
    Hi guys,
    How did you get the door trim off to start with?

Take screws out in grab handle and work around edge pinging the 8??? plugs. In a B7 there is one right in centre of front doors that I had to use a long screwdriver to pop it out
    This might help

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jgs...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 11-01-2021 at 01:43 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Take screws out in grab handle and work around edge pinging the 8??? plugs. In a B7 there is one right in centre of front doors that I had to use a long screwdriver to pop it out
    This might help

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jgs...ew?usp=sharing
    This shows you, dont forget that bottom plastic hex bolt before trying to pull the skin off, just turn it 90 degrees.

VW Passat B8 Door panel remove - YouTube

I found that sometimes some of the plastic door panel clips would stay stuck on the actual door metal itself when you pull the skin off. Make sure you get them off the door and put them back in their slots on the door panel before putting the skin on or you'll destroy them. Once in their slots they have 2 positions they can be in, up or down. You want them up and fully extended before putting the panel back on. I slapped together a quick pic to show you, hope that makes sense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Outer Door Skin Removal-door_plugs-jpg  
    MY18 Passat 206TSI R-Line Wagon - White
    2005 E46 M3 - LeMans Blue

Users Country Flag

Thanks so much Hillbilly. Both links help a lot!