Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Passat for 2020

Users Country Flag

No Passat for 2020

Just received an email from my local VW Dealer - "As of 2020 Volkswagen will no longer make the Passat sedan or wagon.
    You will only have access to the Passat if dealerships still have stock and unfortunately we do not."

So with VW Australia dropping the Arteon and now the Passat I will have to keep my B7 Highline forever.

Mark

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFort View Post
    Just received an email from my local VW Dealer - "As of 2020 Volkswagen will no longer make the Passat sedan or wagon.
    You will only have access to the Passat if dealerships still have stock and unfortunately we do not."

So with VW Australia dropping the Arteon and now the Passat I will have to keep my B7 Highline forever.

Mark
    Did you want to say that VW Australia decided not to import Passat? Just like they decide that we don’t need so many colour options, so many engine choices, that we need only automatic transmission and 110TSI and 162TSI is enough options for us?

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like BS to me, seeing as though VW Aus have only recently confirmed the 140TSI ‘Business’ spec for Australia in the open media.

And you know....the little point about the Passat being one of VW’s largest selling global models...
    Last edited by doc_777; 02-01-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Users Country Flag
    After seeing the Arteon put on hold for our market, I've been suspicious about this launch all along as it was supposed to happen in November last year. Then we're told the Passat will experience a staggered release throughout 2020. The Passat entry on the Volkswagen Australia website is a mess with some details and images reflecting the incoming model and some the outgoing one. Indeed, the Passat has been unavailable on the configurator for quite some time.

We might end up following the approach taken in New Zealand with no Arteon or Passat available, leaving Skoda with the Octavia and Superb to cater for a niche market of passenger car buyers.

The incoming T-Cross and T-Roc add to my concerns as the showroom floor requires massive expenditure and no dealer in their right mind would keep more than a couple of Passat variants in the showroom at the expense of the incoming SUV brigade.

I could be wrong as my local dealer has assured me the Arteon will return to Australia and perhaps the mid-life update to the Passat will launch as planned and flagged in the media? Then again, I look at the mainstream passenger cars being ditched by other manufacturers, the relatively lackluster sales of the Passat/Arteon/Alltrack in recent times, take into account new car sales are slowing down significantly and SUVs rake in those precious few dollars being spent by consumers and I start to worry all over again!

Let's see what happens ....
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 04-01-2020 at 12:36 AM.

Users Country Flag
    I can confirm Passat GP is coming this year and Arteon GP with a shooting brake variant the next year.

Watch this space!!!.
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Users Country Flag
    WLTP is holding up Australian market new vehicle releases (and mid-cycle updates) for all VW group vehicles. It’s a well known and widely reported issue. There’s nothing sinister involved, and it’s got nothing to do with the market being addicted to SUV’s.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    WLTP is holding up Australian market new vehicle releases (and mid-cycle updates) for all VW group vehicles. It’s a well known and widely reported issue. There’s nothing sinister involved, and it’s got nothing to do with the market being addicted to SUV’s.
    You’re absolutely correct that WLPT testing is a significant factor in holding up VW vehicle updates being brought into Australia, but you’re underestimating the SUV demand. Volkswagen can’t wait to get the T-Roc and T-Cross into the Australian market to join the Tiguan and Toureg. VFACTS figures from November 2019, don’t lie:

Arteon: 19, Golf: 1,098, Golf Alltrack: 42, Passat: 54, Passat Alltrack: 26, Polo, 363, Tiguan: 656, Tiguan Allspace: 425, Touareg: 118

Similar figures, for example, from Mazda as well with CX3: 1,107, CX5: 1,735, CX-8: 155, CX-9: 536, Mazda 2: 300, Mazda3: 1, 1435, Mazda6: 173

VFACTS figures for other mainstream car manufacturer's show the same trend with SUVs on the up and passenger cars taking a nose dive. Don't forget the number of passenger cars currently being dropped from lineups and showrooms. As a former Passat owner and current Arteon owner I'm not impressed with this trend at all.

By the way, I'm not suggesting anything 'sinister', I'm responding to MarkFort's email where he's quoted a VW dealer who categorically states that once stocks dry up of the current Passat, that's it. Yes, it's a rather odd email from a dealer claiming VW will stop making the Passat. Perhaps the dealer needs some lessons in clear communication?!

Anyway, if phaeton says it must be so, it must be so and the Passat and Arteon will continue to grace our Australian shores!
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 04-01-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzy_Robot View Post
    You’re absolutely correct that WLPT testing is a significant factor in holding up VW vehicle updates being brought into Australia, but you’re underestimating the SUV demand. Volkswagen can’t wait to get the T-Roc and T-Cross into the Australian market to join the Tiguan and Toureg. VFACTS figures from November 2019, don’t lie:

Arteon: 19, Golf: 1,098, Golf Alltrack: 42, Passat: 54, Passat Alltrack: 26, Polo, 363, Tiguan: 656, Tiguan Allspace: 425, Touareg: 118

Similar figures, for example, from Mazda as well with CX3: 1,107, CX5: 1,735, CX-8: 155, CX-9: 536, Mazda 2: 300, Mazda3: 1, 1435, Mazda6: 173

VFACTS figures for other mainstream car manufacturer's show the same trend with SUVs on the up and passenger cars taking a nose dive. Don't forget the number of passenger cars currently being dropped from lineups and showrooms. As a former Passat owner and current Arteon owner I'm not impressed with this trend at all.

By the way, I'm not suggesting anything 'sinister', I'm responding to MarkFort's email where he's quoted a VW dealer who categorically states that once stocks dry up of the current Passat, that's it. Yes, it's a rather odd email from a dealer claiming VW will stop making the Passat. Perhaps the dealer needs some lessons in clear communication?!

Anyway, if phaeton says it must be so, it must be so and the Passat and Arteon will continue to grace our Australian shores!
    Statistics can say anything you want.

whats the point in stating the low numbers for passat, alltrack, arteon? The current shape Passat has been in runout for months. None have been imported for prob 6 months now. Arteon was discontinued until its refreshed. So the only thing that is shifting is dealer stock.

a person could equally twist those numbers and say “oh, are dropping the Tiguan allspace because it’s such low sales compared to the golf.” And that statement would be just as meaningless as the figures you supplied which - without context - mean nothing.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    Statistics can say anything you want.

whats the point in stating the low numbers for passat, alltrack, arteon? The current shape Passat has been in runout for months. None have been imported for prob 6 months now. Arteon was discontinued until its refreshed. So the only thing that is shifting is dealer stock.

a person could equally twist those numbers and say “oh, are dropping the Tiguan allspace because it’s such low sales compared to the golf.” And that statement would be just as meaningless as the figures you supplied which - without context - mean nothing.
    Point taken - just remember, that online we should all be entitled to express, listen and respond to each other's opinions in a respectful manner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast