Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Passat B8 review

Users Country Flag

Driving Profile selection.

Can anyone tell me just what this can do?
    OK, I understand it may alter throttle response.Perhaps affect steering for a more sporty feel.
    But, and this is a big but, can it also alter suspension settings as in ACC I had on Golf?
    MY13 Passat 130TDI Sedan. Autumn Brown Metalic, Desert Beige seats. Sat nav, Rev camera, Dynaudio, 12way adj seats. No ACC Previous Golf 118 TSI with ACC given to my son

Along with the changing characteristics of the steering & throttle response it also firms up the suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Cossor View Post
    Driving Profile selection.

Can anyone tell me just what this can do?
    OK, I understand it may alter throttle response.Perhaps affect steering for a more sporty feel.
    But, and this is a big but, can it also alter suspension settings as in ACC I had on Golf?
    * MY12 B7 Passat V6 4-motion Highline wagon....
    * Sport pack (Kansas wheels) - Active cruise City EB - Driver Assist Vis pack - Auto tailgate - Candy White with dark tint.

Users Country Flag
    Dropped into local dealer.
    Looked at new Diesel and petrol Passat.
    Really like the appearance.
    BUT relating to diesel-gate, I noted ADBLUE filler cap beside diesel cap.
    So, diesel fuel is cheaper than 98. But, add in cost of adblue, plus not available
    at all places supplying diesel, plus added maintenance costs due to adblue, plus in case cat converter
    requires replacement, a lot of diesel advantage much reduced.
    However re petrol, it appears big recall in USA due to faulty camshafts.
    Poor USA quality control? or bad design?
    I think I have to wait till all this bad news becomes resolved before upgrading.
    PS local VW sales manager looked rather pale and tired. Not sleeping well?
    MY13 Passat 130TDI Sedan. Autumn Brown Metalic, Desert Beige seats. Sat nav, Rev camera, Dynaudio, 12way adj seats. No ACC Previous Golf 118 TSI with ACC given to my son

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Cossor View Post
    Dropped into local dealer.
    Looked at new Diesel and petrol Passat.
    Really like the appearance.
    BUT relating to diesel-gate, I noted ADBLUE filler cap beside diesel cap.
    So, diesel fuel is cheaper than 98. But, add in cost of adblue, plus not available
    at all places supplying diesel, plus added maintenance costs due to adblue, plus in case cat converter
    requires replacement, a lot of diesel advantage much reduced.
    However re petrol, it appears big recall in USA due to faulty camshafts.
    Poor USA quality control? or bad design?
    I think I have to wait till all this bad news becomes resolved before upgrading.
    PS local VW sales manager looked rather pale and tired. Not sleeping well?
    Ok..
    if it helps.
    the adblue tank is 13L capacity
    on average driving (depending on your definition of average), this should equate to around 12000km's.
    cost of adblue per L is approx half the price of diesel per L. Last I saw it it was around 60cpl.
    that equates to an additional $7.80 per 12000kms.

These figures may help you with your calculations....
    More opportunites have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision....

Users Country Flag
    ^^ as he said plus: cat converter won't need changing for a decade at least. Adblue doesn't need to be available everywhere, you need it once a year, you'll have plenty of time to find a supplier.
    Also, what additional maintenance are you talking about? Again, how often?

Diesel will get you brilliant fuel economy & torque. Petrol is for the revhead.

Revhead by nature

Users Country Flag
    I must apologise.

Adblue was 90cpl at the servo I passed on the weekend. Make that $11.70 per 12500kms....
    More opportunites have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision....

Users Country Flag
    Picked my car up yesterday so not completely familiar with it but if anyone has any questions ask and I'll endeavor to answer them. I decided on a white comfortline with the luxury and r-line packs. Overall happy with it but as i said earlier this good car could be great if only VAG had not neutered it for the Australian market.

I decided not to get the highline as after the two packs are added to a comfortline there is very little you are are missing out on that would justify the approx $5k difference. The big one obviously is the diesel but that is a negative for me anyway as i really think, based on test drives, it's torque is a little too high for a FWD and needs a AWD to go with it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar69 View Post
    Picked my car up yesterday so not completely familiar with it but if anyone has any questions ask and I'll endeavor to answer them. I decided on a white comfortline with the luxury and r-line packs. Overall happy with it but as i said earlier this good car could be great if only VAG had not neutered it for the Australian market.

I decided not to get the highline as after the two packs are added to a comfortline there is very little you are are missing out on that would justify the approx $5k difference. The big one obviously is the diesel but that is a negative for me anyway as i really think, based on test drives, it's torque is a little too high for a FWD and needs a AWD to go with it.
    Congrats DarkStar69! Despite the scandal (and overly high proportion of naysayers) I reckon you've made a fine choice.

I'm still thinking of trading in my MY13 B7 125 TDI Highline Passat for a new B8, but I'm not sure if I should go petrol or stick with diesel. Sounds like the petrol performs well anyway, but it all depends on test driving both variants. A few questions for you:

1) Is yours a sedan or wagon and did you do a trade-in?

2) Is there any low speed jerkiness apparent with the 7 speed DSG?

3) Does the smartphone integration work well with Apple or Andriod?

Anyway, enjoy your new toy!
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 21-11-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzy_Robot View Post
    Congrats DarkStar69! Despite the scandal (and overly high proportion of naysayers) I reckon you've made a fine choice.

I'm still thinking of trading in my MY13 B7 125 TDI Highline Passat for a new B8, but I'm not sure if I should go petrol or stick with diesel. Sounds like the petrol performs well anyway, but it all depends on test driving both variants. A few questions for you:

1) Is yours a sedan or wagon and did you do a trade-in?

2) Is there any low speed jerkiness apparent with the 7 speed DSG?

3) Does the smartphone integration work well with Apple or Andriod?

Anyway, enjoy your new toy!
    Thanks Buzy_Robot.

I got the sedan as the wagon just "felt" odd, probably as all my cars have always been sedans. I did trade in my old car. It was a 2012 Honda Civic Sport. Got a much better deal on it than I expected based on other evaluations.

Only been driving it a day,, and the only slow or stop start driving was on Punt Road/Hoddle Street coming home this evening, but i did not notice any jerkiness. The new Passat is supposed to have a newly designed 7 speed DSG so maybe they have sorted it?

I have an android phone, Samsung Galaxy S4 to be specific, and the integration is the best of any car I have owned or even been in. It is just as if i was using the phone itself but using the cars interface instead. Very clear calls and full contacts, call history and messages etc. All functions I've tried so far has been voice controllable also. Have only had a quick play with the App Connect functionality, i.e. tested Android Auto works, so not sure of it yet.

I've been trying to enjoy it as much as possible but the missus decided to borrow it for most of the afternoon. Verdict was she liked it a lot too. Might lead to time sharing issues in the future! We both agree though that we don't like the stop/start engine function. You can turn it off but only for the current trip and need to remember to do so again next time the car is restarted. I am considering getting a VCDS if that is one of the setting I can change with it.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar69 View Post
    Thanks Buzy_Robot.

I got the sedan as the wagon just "felt" odd, probably as all my cars have always been sedans. I did trade in my old car. It was a 2012 Honda Civic Sport. Got a much better deal on it than I expected based on other evaluations.

Only been driving it a day,, and the only slow or stop start driving was on Punt Road/Hoddle Street coming home this evening, but i did not notice any jerkiness. The new Passat is supposed to have a newly designed 7 speed DSG so maybe they have sorted it?

I have an android phone, Samsung Galaxy S4 to be specific, and the integration is the best of any car I have owned or even been in. It is just as if i was using the phone itself but using the cars interface instead. Very clear calls and full contacts, call history and messages etc. All functions I've tried so far has been voice controllable also. Have only had a quick play with the App Connect functionality, i.e. tested Android Auto works, so not sure of it yet.

I've been trying to enjoy it as much as possible but the missus decided to borrow it for most of the afternoon. Verdict was she liked it a lot too. Might lead to time sharing issues in the future! We both agree though that we don't like the stop/start engine function. You can turn it off but only for the current trip and need to remember to do so again next time the car is restarted. I am considering getting a VCDS if that is one of the setting I can change with it.
    All sounds good, but I concur with your summation of the start/stop system - a PITA!! After almost 3 years I haven't really gotten used to it and invariably disable it on most trips. At times it can be sluggish to restart - particularly disconcerting at large roundabouts! I'm not convinced of its benefits and it's questionable seeing it adopted by other car makers as well. As you say, the driver should be able to disable it permanently rather than the current default.

Also good to have some positive discussion around the B8 Passat. I recall back in 2011 when the B7 Passat was released there was a lot more positive and sustained discussion here and over at Whirlpool, but now it's almost non-existent. Hmmm .....
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 22-11-2015 at 09:23 AM.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast